DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

RIPPA

Depends what you consider an analyst. Only studio guys? Play by play and analyst combos? If you're counting the latter, the total climbs exponentially because of the fact that ESPN airs something like 40 college football games a weekend.

I believe the article (Which actually I may have read on either your site or Deadspin) specified "Former Football Players"

About time, Sportscenter is out of control. . . .too bad for the employees though.

When I think of all the dumb shit ESPN has done over the last 20 years:

- 24 hour Terell Owens coverage

- giving Max Kellerman a forum to share his views with the world

- that poker show Tilt

- putting Jim Rome and The Fabulous Sports Babe on TV screens

-giving Skip Bayless a forum to share his views with the world

-'We talkin' bout practice'

-Colin Cowherd's racism and outright hatred of America's blue collar working class

-giving Mitch Albom a forum to share his overly simplistic 'Tuesdays With Morrie' bullshit views with the world

-Jason Whitlock: Racial Prognosticator

-Mike and Mike

-Scott Van Pelt: Rap Aficionado

-The ESPYS

-Giving Woody Paige a forum to share his views with the world

When I think of all of that and thousands of other dumb things ESPN has done, and the prospect that behind-the-scenes people who are partially responsible for the above are about to lose their jobs, I'm reminded of a quote from the Ken Burns' documentary The Civil War, in regards to Union general William Tecumseh Sherman:

"He hated reporters, because they revealed military secrets to sell newspapers.  He was convinced that if he killed all of them, there would be news from Hell before breakfast."

I interviewed for an internship at ESPN back in 2002, all internships are shitty but this deal was ridiculous: you pay for all moving costs, $5000 stipend which you were expected to make last for all six months of the internship, 14-hour workdays cataloguing video, getting coffee, etc.

For a company that so many people would want to intern for, that's actually not that bad. There are other internships within the entertainment industry in which the intern is actually paying the employer for the experience and title. The technical internships at Cirque de Soliel require you to pay them just to apply.

I...actually like Jim Rome and Max Kellerman...

Rome because I remember listening to him in the middle of the night when I was young. Kellerman, I dunno, just like the dude.

I mean, at least they aren't Petro Papadakis. I've hated that guy since I saw him play in high school. No clue how he still has a gig.

About time, Sportscenter is out of control. . . .too bad for the employees though.

When I think of all the dumb shit ESPN has done over the last 20 years:

- 24 hour Terell Owens coverage

- giving Max Kellerman a forum to share his views with the world

- that poker show Tilt

- putting Jim Rome and The Fabulous Sports Babe on TV screens

-giving Skip Bayless a forum to share his views with the world

-'We talkin' bout practice'

-Colin Cowherd's racism and outright hatred of America's blue collar working class

-giving Mitch Albom a forum to share his overly simplistic 'Tuesdays With Morrie' bullshit views with the world

-Jason Whitlock: Racial Prognosticator

-Mike and Mike

-Scott Van Pelt: Rap Aficionado

-The ESPYS

-Giving Woody Paige a forum to share his views with the world

When I think of all of that and thousands of other dumb things ESPN has done, and the prospect that behind-the-scenes people who are partially responsible for the above are about to lose their jobs, I'm reminded of a quote from the Ken Burns' documentary The Civil War, in regards to Union general William Tecumseh Sherman:

"He hated reporters, because they revealed military secrets to sell newspapers.  He was convinced that if he killed all of them, there would be news from Hell before breakfast."

So, you hated all that stuff, but it never occurred to you over a span of 20 years to change the channel? 

And the SVP crack almost reads as racist... can the dude not like rap?

Part of the problem is that ESPN has been the only game for a long time. Fox Sports was always so fragmented that you never knew when the highlight show would be on, and CNNSI has been off the air for a long time. I never watch it unless its for PTI, and even that's rare nowadays. I miss NFL primetime though. . .