DVDVR Message Board

ALL ENCOMPASSING SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

RIPPA

Things will probably work a little better for everything - especially when I want to post this story that is newspaper related

So the NY Daily News is slashing pretty much all its sports staff (along with other areas)

Mike Lupica

Bill Madden

Filip Bondy

Have all been shown the door

• Like 1

My woman is an avid consumer of all things sports media and there are no words for how much she hates Hannah Storm.

I don't hate Storm, but I can understand why others would.  You have to almost not pay her attention, allow her to be background noise.  Because she has a certain air about her that can be irritating.  I think it's pseudo-feminism.

Things will probably work a little better for everything - especially when I want to post this story that is newspaper related

So the NY Daily News is slashing pretty much all its sports staff (along with other areas)

Mike Lupica

Bill Madden

Filip Bondy

Have all been shown the door

And Lupica's awful show on WEPN was cancelled on August 15th, not exactly a good month for the guy.

Never heard of the other two, can't say I feel  sorry for any of them given the genrally awful New York sports press in general, and their obnoxious "New York against the world" attitude that they all seem to have.

Let 'em go work as beat writers for the Kansas City Star or the Seattle Times, let them see how the rest of the world lives outside of "Noow Yoik."

Oh and Filip Bondy is one of the more respected sports writers in the country - especially in the soccer world.

But yup - he sucks because he was in New York

Bondy covered soccer for DECADES at the News... probably did more to advance the sport's cause in Gotham than anyone will ever give him credit for. Back in the 70s he turned down an opportunity to cover the Yankees because he was having so much fun as the Cosmos beat writer.

Shame about the New York thing though. Fuck that guy.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, the Daily News just isn't the right venue for soccer coverage these days.   I mean it should say something when the parakeet feces collection unit known as the New York Post so consistently kicks the DN's ass. 

At least Madden & Lupica were fired though.

New York ain't got nothing on Philly for shitty sports media. Philly may be the absolute worst. If you listen to that horseshit that passes for talk radio, I feel for you, and you should get XM.

If Filip Bondy ever called for John Sterling and Susan Waldman to be fired, or if he ever took potshots at Michael "See Ya" Kay in his column, than I will take back everything I said about him and hope he gets rehired.

OR

If he was opposed to advertising on soccer uniforms, and used his column to try to convince FIFA to ban the practice, than I hope he gets rehired.

ESPN is need of a big overhaul in a lot of areas. I watched a LOT of ESPN the last couple weeks and it was basically "The Football Network". Now, I loves me some football, but...c'mon. Hour after hour after hour after hour of football content. Pennant races in baseball heating up? Let's do another 30 minutes on football!

They have way too many "analysts" and the content of their programming simply isn't good enough. And their revenue is going to crater over the next year or two as even more people cut the cord. For too long, ESPN has ridden a tidal wave of cash on the backs of cable/satellite subscribers paying huge fees that don't actually watch ESPN. Well, now millions of those people - at $7.50 a month for ESPN & ESPN2 - have cut the cord. That's a TON of revenue for ESPN that has just disappeared. And it ain't coming back.

This was inevitable. Will be interesting to see how all the changes play out. Methinks we'll be seeing a lot more poker in the afternoon programming :)