DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

14 hours ago, Bustronaut said:

Y'all are dead to me.  Except Eivion.  Tank Girl is amazing.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

BLOCKED.

Man, and I thought that I was the one with Joe Bob Briggs levels of extremely forgiving standards.

You guys have set a new low bar.

Anyway, speaking of forgiving standards and low bars, Valerian and the City of 1000 Planets should be debuting on SYFY sometime in mid to late September so check your local listings.

9 hours ago, AxB said:

Did anyone else who played a Ripper go on to be notable? Because I only recognise Ice T and Reg E Cathay.

I never knew werey it where it was I first saw him, but I always dug him in whatever he showed up in. Seeing this clip makes me realize it was likely Tank Girl I first saw him in.

Edited by Eivion

I mean he's not very recognizable, to me anyway.

2bb2fad6b5b3df2c19ae86a5732df4f6.jpg

But I mean... the movie is almost 25 years old at this point, so spoilers kind of go away after a certain point ?

EDIT: We aren't talking about Ice T apparently. Damnit. But the last part still stands!

Edited by Casey

I honestly think that Zack Snyder watched Tank Girl before making Sucker Punch, because he honestly believed that history would eventually be kind to his crappy movie as long as he had Army Of Me by Bjork on the soundtrack.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I wish y'all hadn't spoiled that one for me because I would have marked out seeing him in that makeup out of nowhere. Loved him since he was Querns in Oz.

"Don't FUCK with Querns" is quoted around my house much to the annoyance of my wife far too much.?

• 2 weeks later...

So, whatever happened to Netflix making anything out of Millarworld? It's been over two years, and I don't think anything had even entered production. I mean, great for Millar, he got paid a bunch of money and is still pretty much doing his same thing, but it's weird.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:59 PM, J.T. said:

So where are we talking about Guardians?  It's not a comic book movie, per se, but it does appear to be a Russian rip off of Marvel's Soviet Super Soldiers / People's Protectorate / Winter Guard.

http://screenrant.com/guardians-movie-2017-trailer-avengers/

One dude is Ursa Major with a mini-gun, that other guy is some sort of Winter Soldier / Vanguard hybrid, the blonde is a Black Widow / Invisible Girl / Darkstar pastiche, and then there is generic earth-bender telekinesis dude to throw you off of the plagiarism trail.

Well, the Guardians saga turned out pretty horribly.   It was a box office bomb, Enjoy Movies, the production company, filed for bankruptcy in 2017 and the Cinematic Foundation of Russia sued Enjoy Movies to recover its portion of the investment.  

Shout Factory TV bought the release rights on the cheap in December 2017 and released the movie on DVD.

It's now available on Shout Factory's free streaming site as well as the Shout Factory TV queue on Tubi.

I've seen it.  It's extremely campy in almost a good way.

On 9/12/2015 at 11:19 PM, Cliff Hanger said:

So I felt weird talking about VALERIAN AND THE CITY OF A THOUSAND PLANETS on the "Upcoming Movies" thread, but you can count the number of DVDVR posters who care about that movie on one finger and there are other things coming that don't exactly fit into any of the major threads already extant but don't warrant a new thread, so....

VALERIAN is on Syfy's regular rotation and AFAIK is also available from Syfy On Demand.

I have seen it like five times and it gets a bit better every time.  The chemistry between Dane DeHaan (Valerian) and Rihanna (Bubble) is nearly as molten as is between Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne (Laureline)

Edited by J.T.

14 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, the Guardians saga turned out pretty horribly. 

I've seen it.  It's extremely campy in almost a good way.

agreed. i bought the bluray when it came out. it wasn't *quite* in the "so bad it's good" category, but it was close.

for being low budget (relative to actual Hollywood superhero flicks), it looked quite a bit better than a made for SyFy movie.

it's biggest sin was just being.....uninteresting. you don't buy in to the characters because of the wooden acting so the plot falls spectacularly short. 

still worth a watch and i thought there were some really interesting concepts buried in there.

• Like 1

Yeah, the acting was pretty bad although I found Ler's monologue about outliving his daughter because of his powers to be very moving.

Other than that, the movie is mostly forgettable and the Frankenstein's Monster-esque villain is pretty laughable.  Definitely not in the "so bad it's good" category.

Edited by J.T.

I stared watching this afternoon after D2 shit the bed.  Two eps in.  Not bad so far.

Also, the Hellboy reboot is on HBO now.  It's really bad but hey, Sasha Lane's cuteness may see you thorough. Also you can close your eyes and pretend that Daniel Day Kim's character is Johnny Gat.

Edited by J.T.

First of all, are those Preacher and American Gods shows any good?  Is it just retelling the books?  I've just never heard anything about either of them positive or negative.  Second,  there's a fucking Bloodshot movie?  What the fuck.  I even liked both the old and new Bloodshot series.  Matter o' fact I love most of that old Valiant shit.  Now more than then.  Geomancer sucks tho'.