DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

On 9/13/2015 at 1:10 PM, John Austin said:

Just found out they're making a movie based on I Kill Giants.  I loved the story and glad it's being adapted.  I hope it brings more folks to the book. 

Wow after all this time it' real and it' happening. I can't post the trailer because I'm still getting used to this new phone but there is a trailer and I cannot wait.

• 1 month later...

Elisabeth Moss will star with Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish in the mob drama “The Kitchen” for New Line Cinema and DC Entertainment.

“Straight Outta Compton” writer Andrea Berloff will direct from her own script, based on the comic book series by Ollie Masters and Ming Doyle from DC Entertainment’s Vertigo imprint. The movie will mark Berloff’s feature directorial debut. Michael De Luca is producing the film.

“The Kitchen” is a classic gangster pic that follows a group of Irish mobsters sent to prison. The wives take over their jailed spouses’ organized crime operation to become the most ruthless and powerful gangsters in 1970s Hell’s Kitchen. Moss will play the wife of an abusive husband who adapts to the violence of her new life. “The Kitchen” hits theaters on Sept. 20, 2019.

Cross posted from Variety.

• 3 weeks later...

John Ridley and Jason Blum are partnering on a movie adaptation of Ridley’s recent comic book series “The American Way: Those Above and Those Below.”

Ridley is also attached to direct the project, based on his six-issue monthly miniseries published in 2017 by DC Entertainment’s Vertigo label. Ridley wrote the story with illustrator George Jeanty in what was a sequel to their 2007 graphic novel “The American Way,” in which a team of 1960s superheroes were created and called the Civil Defense Corps. The story focuses on Jason Fisher’s the New American, a black man given super strength but a limited pain threshold while the rest of the corps is torn apart by racism and murder

I love this comic book series and thank the Black Panther movie for paving the way for this film to be greenlit.

I'm looking forward to it being made, but If I watch it, it will just make me mad.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Ninjak vs. Valiant shorts are all out now, but...according to Bleeding Cool only for six months because Valiant's new owners hate them. It was going to be a week only but apparently the pressure from the article caused them to reconsider. 

So watch them now before bootlegs are the only option.

On 4/27/2018 at 8:09 AM, The Unholy Dragon said:

So the Ninjak vs. Valiant shorts are all out now, but...according to Bleeding Cool only for six months because Valiant's new owners hate them. It was going to be a week only but apparently the pressure from the article caused them to reconsider. 

So watch them now before bootlegs are the only option.

Is streaming from their site the only way to watch it? Cause I can't find anything but reactions videos on youtube.

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, FireThunder said:

Didn't see a better place to put this: the Spawn reboot is a go with Jamie Foxx cast in the title role, McFarlane directing and with an estimated budget of $10M to $12M.

Depending on which Jamie Foxx shows up for work, this could be either really good or really bad.

I would totally re-cast John Leguizamo as Clown. He was the shining light in an otherwise dismal production.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

$10-$12 million doesn't seem like much for what should be a cgi spectacle.  That's going to really cut into the too-many-chains-and-impossibly-long-capes budget

McFarlane is intending to do it as a low budget horror movie, which is why he approached Blumhouse. I guess it was the only way he could keep creative freedom over the project. 

The Crow reboot stalls again:

The Crow was supposed to start shooting within the next five weeks in Budapest and the movie has been in pre-production for a while now but, once again, the reboot has stalled. However, not only has director Corin Hardy walked away from the project but Jason Momoa - who was set to take on the title role - has also formally withdrawn from the project which has been in the works for several years.

Credit: comicbookmovie.com

The Crow reboot fizzling again does not make me unhappy.  They should just start adopting the other Crow graphic novels and short stories and let Brandon's performance stand alone.

With all of the new focus on women as movie leads (Wonder Woman, Ocean's 8, the all woman Ghostbusters reboot) , I am shocked that no one has looked at Flesh + Blood as a new Crow vehicle.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

d68243d5cf3207f9-600x400.jpg

So glad I watched Dredd at the cinema, it's a 3D film worth seeing in the format. I bought the DVD as soon as it came out. Great performance by Karl Urban in the lead role. The look of the film and the music, another highlight. Shame Dredd didn't get the sequel he merited.

• Like 2