DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

Per a couple different articles, it looks like the adaptation of The Boys that was earmarked for either Cinemax or Showtime (I forget which) a year or two back will be getting a pilot at Amazon. I cannot imagine this ending well; the series has some great bits, but more than Preacher it runs on shock moments and black comedy, with the additional ingredient of thinly-disguised spoofs of Marvel and DC characters doing monstrous things.  Either it gets nerfed or horrifies the audience into a coma, and either way I don't predict it survives Pilot Season.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, odessasteps said:

I figured that given the current state of US politics, it would only be a matter of time before someone turned American Flagg! into a television series or a movie.

If this does well, I imagine that the rush to bring adaptations of crypto-facist graphic novels set in the US to film and television will really pick up during the next three years.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

I figured that given the current state of US politics, it would only be a matter of time before someone turned American Flagg! into a television series or a movie.

If this does well, I imagine that the rush to bring adaptations of crypto-facist graphic novels set in the US to film and television will really pick up during the next three years.

Flagg would seem ripe for premium cable, given its rampant use of sexual content. 

I may have skipped over it, but I seem to recall reading that the 1994 "Fantastic Four" film was going to get a legit release (I want to say from Kino or Olive, maybe Shout! Factory).  Anyone heard this too?

1 hour ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

There was a Fantastic Four trailer on the front of Carnosaur.  Maybe that's where you're remembering it from.

No, that would presume that someone actually watched Carnosaur, let's not be silly.

• Haha 2

SYFY has adopted Happy! into a television series just in time for Christmas:

Based on Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson’s graphic novel, Happy!, from Universal Cable Productions, follows Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni) – an intoxicated, corrupt ex-cop turned hit man – who is adrift in a world of casual murder, soulless sex and betrayal. After a hit gone wrong, his inebriated life is forever changed by a tiny, relentlessly positive, imaginary blue winged horse named “Happy” (Bobby Moynihan).

Morrison and Brian Taylor (Crank, Gamer) co-wrote the pilot teleplay and executive produce. Neal Moritz, Pavun Shetty and Toby Jaffe of Original Film, Meloni and showrunner Patrick Macmanus will also executive produce. Taylor directed the pilot

They are also adopting Krypton:

Based on DC characters created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, Krypton is set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet. It follows Superman’s grandfather (Cameron Cuffe) — whose House of El was ostracized and shamed — as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from chaos. Georgina Campbell, Elliot Cowan, Ann Ogbomo, Rasmus Hardiker, Wallis Day, Aaron Pierre also star, along with Ian McElhinney.

Krypton hails from Warner Horizon Scripted Television and is executive produced by Goyer through his Phantom Four banner. Damian Kindler will serve as executive producer and showrunner

Obviously Happy! will be heavily censored when it's on normal television and shown uncut when it is OnDemand, just like Channel Zero where the swearing ramps up exponentially.

• 1 month later...

Guardians, the big budget Russian superhero flick, was officially released on video today.

i finally got to see it, i've been impatiently waiting since i first saw the trailer. some cool visuals with a cookie cutter storyline and cardboard characters. i quite enjoyed it for what it was.

11 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Happy (the adaptation of the Grant Morrison/Darick Robertson mini) is on as we speak.  I'll probably post about it as a whole tomorrow, but so far my dominant thought is "Happy should've been hand-drawn animation and not CGI."

I was totally bummed when I saw that the titular Happy was CGI but y'know, production costs and shit.

I was pleasantly surprised by the absurd amount of violence.  The people who adopted this for Syfy remembered that the rude and crude nature of the material is the joke and not something to be feared or criticized.

Chris Meloni was born to play Nick Sax.  He is fucking great.  I don't know if I watched too much Law & Order, but Chris seems to excel at playing extremely flawed men that still retain some spark of nobility in their heart.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Ninja-K web series has actually filmed some, they've shown trailers and keep releasing hype material like shots of the performers in costume/make-up, the first issue of the comic tie in is out, but still no drop date.  Archer&Armstrong and the Sony Valiantverse appear to have gone dark.  The Q&W pilot appears to be in actual development, but I'll believe it when I see it.  With the company being swallowed up by its Chinese investment partners, and the creative heads and CEO departing, I'd be shocked as shit if anything comes of anything at this point. :(