DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

I still can't believe Riverdale exists.  It is trashy as FUCK and it's really fun.  Most of the characters feel like reasonable "darker and sexier" takes, but Betty as the girl in literally every extracurricular because her awful mom is obsessed with her getting into a good school feels really off.  Still, I'm in for the season

• Like 1

This new Riverdaie is the real fucking deal.  The edge works surprisingly well.

I can deal with the Betty has a Caucasian tiger mom thing, because I see that with my own kid and how the pursuit of college acceptance is more intense than ever.  It is very realistic portrayal of what kids have to deal with these days. 

Teens aren't allowed to be teens these days as they are too busy checking the necessary educational and civic blocks that will get them into college.

The thing that is hard for me to process in the new show is Archie being involved with his music teacher, Mrs. Grundy.  I'm happy that the show seems to be ditching the tired cliche of Archie's love triangle with Betty and Veronica, but this just seems weird and deliberately played for the controversy.

I don't recall Archie having a thing with Mrs. Gundy in the comics, but it didn't bother me much.  If anything I like the twist of the established love triangle with the summer fling with the hot teacher on the side.  There can't really be crossover between those two, but if there was some serious shit would hit the fan.  The dead brother story is pretty cool, love how bitchy the supposedly grieving sister is in this.

I never got into teen dramas like this, but the Archie tie-in is definitely getting my attention.  Didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.  Though I do have to ask, how can you have Jughead in the diner without a damn burger?  C'mon, I'll even accept a slider if that's on the menu.

On 1/27/2017 at 11:38 AM, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't recall Archie having a thing with Mrs. Gundy in the comics.

That's because Mrs Grundy in the comics looked like this:

archie-miss-grundy.jpg

And on the television show, she looks like this::

54eebe202b3c3_-_sarah-habel-3large.jpg

Do not stop being fun and trashy, Riverdale.

As much as I love me some Rachel Leigh Cook and Rosario Dawson and love the indictment on consumerism that is the Josie & The Pussycats movie, the all black girl band version of Josie & The Pussycats in this show fucking rules.

Jughead not eating his weight in hamburgers is total bullshit, though.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2017 at 4:07 PM, The Unholy Dragon said:

Joining the chorus to say Riverdale is fucking great. And as a Canadian, I get it next day on Netflix so that's awesome. Would like Kevin Keller to be a bit more actual person and less gay-stereotype-budget-Wallace-Wells but we're just getting going so hey.

Should probably have its own thread, honestly.

It does.

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/5786-your-riverdale-sleaze-thread/

Since this is the de facto place for all things superhero that is neither DC nor Marvel, a reminder that Zashchitniki (Guardians) will be released on February 23rd.

Yes, I know that there is no comic book for these characters.

• 4 weeks later...

Bloodshot has a new director, and it's first-timer (and Deadpool director Tim Miller's former business partner) Dave Wilson, who has mostly done video game trailers and shit previously.  Considering that when the project announced it was gonna be the John Wick guys' next joint, I am officially disappointed.  Hopefully it won't suck, but every time Sony announce something about this I get a little less hopeful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

Ryan Gosling is in talks to produce a screen adaptation of Jeff Lemire's graphic novel, The Underwater Welder.

I am ridiculously excited about this being a huge fan of both men & this story, I really hope Gosling will consider playing the welder. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2017 at 4:30 AM, J.T. said:

Since this is the de facto place for all things superhero that is neither DC nor Marvel, a reminder that Zashchitniki (Guardians) will be released on February 23rd.

Yes, I know that there is no comic book for these characters.

initial reviews have not been kind to this film.

that being said, it's been over a month and i can't find an English release date anywhere. WTF, Russia?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...