DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is that a movie or a series? How is the Valiant universe? I don't think I've read anything form them aside from maybe a free comic book day issue.

Looks like it's going to be a web series from what I remember reading from the NYCC recap.

I haven't read much of the current Valiant outside of the early Harbinger but they're pretty good. It just got too expensive for me to collect. 

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Is that a movie or a series? How is the Valiant universe? I don't think I've read anything form them aside from maybe a free comic book day issue.

This is a web series, though movies are coming from Sony starting (allegedly) in 2018, and a separate company bought the rights only to Archer & Armstrong.

The first 3 years of the new Valiant are probably the best shared universe that was going in that era; I kind of fell off after Book of Death but what little I've read of the current stuff is still quite good. If you have Comicblitz or Comixology Unlimited you should be able to get the first year or so of everything without spending.

• 5 weeks later...

Thunder Road Pictures, Entertainment 360, and Nickel City Productions have partnered to produce “Naja” a big-screen adaptation of the acclaimed French graphic novel, Variety has learned. Telepool will executive produce.

Thunder Road optioned the graphic novel. J. P. Davis (“The Neighbor”) is writing. Cedric Nicolas-Troyan (“The Huntsman: Winter’s War”) will direct.

“Naja” centers on a beautiful assassin, who is all the more deadly because she is unable to register pain. Her mercenary ways get upended after she finds herself targeted by contract killers. The story is said to be in the vein of action hits such as “Lucy,” “Le Femme Nikita,” and “John Wick.”

“Naja” was written by Jean-David Morvan and illustrated by Bengal. It was published in France by Dargaud, whose roster of properties includes “Valerian,” the graphic novel currently getting the big-screen treatment from Luc Besson. Magnetic Press published “Naja” in the U.S..

I thumbed through a couple issues of Naja at my local comic shop about a year ago and wasn't terribly impressed.   It is more flash than substance really with just enough character development to justify bullets hitting them.

I'm not really surprised that Besson picked this up, because I really did think that Bengal & Morvan came up with this with the expressed purpose of gaining Besson notice in order that he would adopt it into a motion picture.

I'm not expecting big things and will be pleasantly shocked if this movie is any good.

The first volume is on Comixology Unlimited, so I'll check it out.

Not seeing any reference to Besson being involved in the project, though (he's referenced in the article but that's because he's making the Valerian et Laureline movie that has me very nervous).

And speaking of Valerian et Laureline, the first trailer hits Thursday.

2 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger said:

The first volume is on Comixology Unlimited, so I'll check it out.

Not seeing any reference to Besson being involved in the project, though (he's referenced in the article but that's because he's making the Valerian et Laureline movie that has me very nervous).

And speaking of Valerian et Laureline, the first trailer hits Thursday.

There are conflicting sources commenting on Luc's involvement with Naja.  I suspect that he will go all in since he supports French artistic exports and the subject matter in Naja is right up his alley.

And yeah, his involvment with Valerian also has me a bit uneasy.

20 hours ago, odessasteps said:

In a way, surprised he never tried to do Barbarella. 

I guess he just made his own. 

Nicolas Refn is working on a Barbarella television series for Amazon.

In further French graphic novel news, TNT has ordered a pilot from Tomorrow Studios to be based on Le Transperceneige better known as Snowpiercer.

Whether it will be closer in contest to the comics or to Bong Joon-ho's kick ass 2013 film is not known at this time.

• 2 months later...

As someone who backed it, I can say I never got my physical copy. A link-only Youtube version was released but is considered to have unfinished sound/video editing.

I asked Brian and Scott about it at TCAF last year and it's apparently a real sore point for them. Basically the company stopped replying to everyone including them about it years ago. Brian said "This is why we do all our projects ourselves now." basically. 

Sucks too because the short itself is a lot of fun and requires little polishing so it's super unclear what went wrong and why.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

As someone who backed it, I can say I never got my physical copy. A link-only Youtube version was released but is considered to have unfinished sound/video editing.

I asked Brian and Scott about it at TCAF last year and it's apparently a real sore point for them. Basically the company stopped replying to everyone including them about it years ago. Brian said "This is why we do all our projects ourselves now." basically. 

Sucks too because the short itself is a lot of fun and requires little polishing so it's super unclear what went wrong and why.

i will never be as awesome as Unholy Dragon...