DVDVR Message Board

Comic book projects that don't warrant a thread yet

Cliff Hanger

Preacher was very different to the books, but as it went along they were trying to bring it closer and cram in as much book stuff as they could. American Gods season One was really good, other than that it covered much less of the overall story than people were expecting it to. But season two was much less impressive, and apparently season 3 is going to be a huge shitshow. They fired the guy who plays Mr Nancy! They fired THIS GUY:

On 2/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, assfax said:

First of all, are those Preacher and American Gods shows any good?  Is it just retelling the books?  I've just never heard anything about either of them positive or negative.  Second,  there's a fucking Bloodshot movie?  What the fuck.  I even liked both the old and new Bloodshot series.  Matter o' fact I love most of that old Valiant shit.  Now more than then.  Geomancer sucks tho'.

Preacher was good. American Gods was good though I have little faith in S3 right now.

I'm trying to watch Locke & Key but I swear, every time the kid who plays Bode opens his mouth, I hear Vincent Adultman.  It's...really distracting.

If that ruins his part for anyone else, I'm not sorry, because this oddity has to be spread around as much as possible.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bloodshot was quite the generic superhero action movie. Sketchy CGI, mediocre performances, lots of "cool" slow-mo shots, Diesel once again demonstrating his best work is done in voice over, and Guy Pearce as another underwhelming quasi-supervillain. So yeah...not a great start to the Valiant Cinematic Universe, although it's still  better than the Mummy.

• 5 months later...
9 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

Supposedly Netflix wants to buy the rights to the Valiant line so they can have their own cinematic universe. 

Well they can't fuck it up worse than Sony did.

Meanwhile, I am starting to suspect that the Invincible cartoon is never coming out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Tom Hiddleston and Ben Wheatley still say that they are working on an adaptation of Frank Miller / Geoff Darrow's Hard Boiled, but I am not sure if I believe them.

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting on Y: The Last Man adaptation for years. Even when Shia Labeouff was attached to it and it was a film adaptation.

As for this tv adaptation...I don't know.  FX has done some good work, but...I don't know. There are a ton of variables in the comic that could go wrong in this format.  

Even if it sucks or not my cup of tea, I do hope the show is popular. Maybe get an updated book release.  At least popular enough to earn its own thread on DVDVR.

Edited by _MJ_

• 1 month later...

A series based on Matt Wagner's Grendel comic is in development.  The first season will focus on the "original" Grendel, Hunter Rose, and run eight episodes.

Not sure how interested I am in a Grendel series in 2021, but I'm happy that Wagner is (hopefully) finally cashing in.  I was a big fan of Wagner in the 80's and 90's and still really like Mage and the Madame Xanadu book he wrote for DC.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Crow (1994) with Brandon Lee is a classic. One of the best comic books ever made for the story, performances, music, look of the film and direction. Sucks Brandon Lee was killed by a gun on set. My thoughts with Brandon's family, Michael Massee who shot the gun and his family. Scott Hall suggested the look to Sting and what a character reinvention Crow Sting was.

A remake has been in developmental hell for years. Here's when Jason Momoa was signed up:

I couldn't imagine Jason Momoa at the time but he looks better than I thought he would. How could a remake better the original? @J.T. will want to see this.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...