DVDVR Message Board

[Best of...] TOP 110 MOVIES OF THE 1950s

RIPPA

Oh so very rusty...

We had 7 Ballots (6 100 vote and 1 50 vote ballot). This will make things a little wonky but not too bad.

297 Movies Received Votes (675 the last time)

102 movies made the 100 point threshold. 8 additional movies were added to get me to a nice even 110.

Those 8 movies either A.) Had a Top 5 vote or B.) Got at least 3 votes

So the bottom half is a little different but the whole point of this is for you to discovery movies you wanted to watch so I am not sure folks will mind too too much.

Other things to remember

Tiebreakers

1) Fewer # of votes

2) Highest individual vote

3) Magic

- Please don't post your ballots in this thread (there will be a separate thread for that near the end). It's okay to say that you voted for something after a movie shows up but we want to keep the mystery alive.

I am going to try and post the 8 random movies before I leave work. Let's see how that goes.

Okay - that is all I am getting to right now.

I want to find a better way to do the movie posters since imageshack and flickr have let me down. So I will figure that out tonight and then continue on tomorrow.

When I did the giant music poll dumps I used a photobucket uploader add-on for firefox so you could just right click a picture, direct upload it to your account, and instantly get a link.

That saved me about 5000 clicks, and my sanity.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/photobucket-uploader/

110) THE RIVER (Jean Renoir, 1951)

35 Points (3 votes - Highest Vote: Caley #85)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (87%)

WIKI

Note from Rippa - Right out the chute and RT is wacky as they list this as 1959.

This was one of those movies that was really pretty and really well-made, but man was it a downer.  It was sort of one of those things where everytime something was resolved you just waited for something bad to happen, which it almost always did.

109) THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL (Vincente Minnelli, 1952)

50 Points (3 Votes - Highest Vote: Ray #81)

IMDB 

ROTTEN TOMATOES (96%)

WIKI

Had this at #84.  It's really big and dramatic and stage-y, but it also looks really good and has a fun Kirk Douglas performance.

When I did the giant music poll dumps I used a photobucket uploader add-on for firefox so you could just right click a picture, direct upload it to your account, and instantly get a link.

That saved me about 5000 clicks, and my sanity.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-Us/firefox/addon/photobucket-uploader/

Yeah - I am going to try this (or at least Photobucket) today

I mean the link for Where the Sidewalk Ends is already dead.

Stupid internet

104) THE WRONG MAN (Alfred Hitchcock, 1956)

97 Points (3 Votes - Highest Vote: #42 Ray)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (90%)

WIKI

NOTE FROM RIPPA - This is the last 3 vote movie that didn't have at least 100 points

Had this at #80 but am struggling to remember literally anything about it.  IIRC, it was a pretty stripped-down, gimmick-free Hitchcock about a man wrongfully accused.

the-man-from-laramie-poster-sized_zpssuh

102) THE MAN FROM LARAMIE (Anthony Mann, 1955)

100 Points (2 votes - Highest Vote: #50 ohtani's jacket)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - I should probably mention now that being 100% on RT isn't as special this go around since most movies have less than 10 official reviews on RT

101) THE BAD SEED (Mervyn LeRoy, 1956)

102 Points (2 votes - Highest Vote: caley #47)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (68%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - On the flip side, Bad Seed will be the pace setter for lowest RT score

That's crazy!  'The Bad Seed's a perfectly entertaining little flick about an evil child.  The ending is kinda lame because of the film code, plus the post-movie credits stuff where the mom spanks the little girl and smiles for the camera is the worst pandering "See? She's not really evil, we're friends!" thing I've maybe ever seen in a film.  But, who cares, the girl's so evil and it's such a nasty little film that it's really enjoyable.

• Like 1

Tokyo_Twilight_FilmPoster.jpeg_zpsfyhada

99) TOKYO TWILIGHT (Tokyo boshoku) (Yasujiro Ozu, 1957)

103 Points (2 votes - Highest Vote: Ray #29)

IMDB

ROTTEN TOMATOES (100%)

WIKI

Note From Rippa - That was the first tiebreaker I had to do. Also got a lot of fucking Twilight posters in trying to get an image. Fucking shiny vampires.