DVDVR Message Board

2015 NCAAF - WEEK 2

Dolfan in NYC

Longhorns demote their co-OCs Watson and Wickline (back to just QB coach and OL coach, respectively), elevate WR coach Jay Norvell to sole OC/playcaller. One likely result is elevation of RS freshman Jerrod Heard to starting QB.

Let's see if we can actually score some points and get more than 100 yards of offense this week against Rice.

TV schedule:  www.mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2015/2#.VfBpv_TiaCg

Games of note: Oregon State at Michigan, Oklahoma at Tennessee, Oregon at Michigan State, LSU at Mississippi State, Boise State at BYU (which looked much more interesting before BYU lost their starting QB for the season last weekend).

well shit, I do not know why that link is not working.

Edited by Dewar

Wisconsin's next few games after the Bama' loss are surely enough to get them in the playoffs. Miami of Ohio, Troy and Hawaii. THE BIG DAWGS. Also, Iowa.

TV schedule:  www.mattsarzsports.com/Schedule/Weekly/football2015/2#.VfBpv_TiaCg

Games of note: Oregon State at Michigan, Oklahoma at Tennessee, Oregon at Michigan State, LSU at Mississippi State, Boise State at BYU (which looked much more interesting before BYU lost their starting QB for the season last weekend).

well shit, I do not know why that link is not working.

This one seems to work okay.

Just finished reading "Endzone: The Rise, Fall, & Return of Michigan Football" by John Bacon. It details the history of Michigan football up through June of this year, but mostly skipping the RichRod era (since Bacon already put those years into a book).

This is an absolute must-read. The vast majority of the book covers the Hoke era, focusing on athletic department dysfunction under Dave Brandon. It is an amazing look at the hubris, arrogance, and incompetence that marked Brandon's tenure as AD. One misstep after another after another, none of which are THAT major until the email scandal that finally got him canned.

Also covered in great detail is the wooing of Jim Harbaugh and his wife, including the nugget that Tom Brady called him to get him to come to Ann Arbor. Great detail there.

Lots of praise in the book for Brady Hoke as a person. He was absolutely loved by everyone and comes off as a big-time class act.

Bacon is probably my favorite sports author now. The three books I've read of his have all been absolute home runs.

Go buy this.

Fun (but scary for Michigan fans) tidbit: If Brandon hadn't gotten forced to resign, he was bringing Hoke back for another year.

Just finished reading "Endzone: The Rise, Fall, & Return of Michigan Football" by John Bacon. It details the history of Michigan football up through June of this year, but mostly skipping the RichRod era (since Bacon already put those years into a book).

This is an absolute must-read. The vast majority of the book covers the Hoke era, focusing on athletic department dysfunction under Dave Brandon. It is an amazing look at the hubris, arrogance, and incompetence that marked Brandon's tenure as AD. One misstep after another after another, none of which are THAT major until the email scandal that finally got him canned.

Also covered in great detail is the wooing of Jim Harbaugh and his wife, including the nugget that Tom Brady called him to get him to come to Ann Arbor. Great detail there.

Lots of praise in the book for Brady Hoke as a person. He was absolutely loved by everyone and comes off as a big-time class act.

Bacon is probably my favorite sports author now. The three books I've read of his have all been absolute home runs.

Go buy this.

Fun (but scary for Michigan fans) tidbit: If Brandon hadn't gotten forced to resign, he was bringing Hoke back for another year.

I'm sure that's why they had him resign. . . .

The lone Bills fan in Idaho can read? This must put you above at least 98% of the state populace.

You have no idea....and to permit myself a little bragging, I've read something like 40 books so far this year, and these are thick history ones too....

Well, it's a weird week. There are more games pitting Top 25 opponents against each other...but fewer games of interest overall. (Becasue everybody who played decent competition in Week 1 made sure to schedule a gimme this week, just in case.)

With that in mind, here come your abbreviated

Stone.

Cold.

5d00019dba8ff9a025db6d5869322413ac7b48bc

LOCKS.

Last Week: 10-0 (FEEL MY HUBRIS)

Oregon State @ Michigan: Two teams in rebuilding mode square off. Oregon State freshman QB Seth Collins looks like more of a legit playmaker than anyone on Michigan's roster. But he is a freshman, and making his first start away from home in one of the biggest stages in all of college football. I like Michigan to keep him contained on defense, and then to have ironed out enough of their issues on offense to win this one, maybe a little ugly.

MICHIGAN

19 Oklahoma @ 23 Tennessee: A lot of people see this as Tennessee's big coming out party, the game where they make a definitive statement that they're BACK as a player on the national scene. But I think they're showing against Bowling Green last week should cause people to pump the breaks on the hype train. I mean, they looked like a good team and won by 29...But they also gave up 30 points and over 400 yards passing to a MAC school. I don't care if it's a good MAC school, that shouldn't happen. And now they're going up against an Oklahoma team with far superior athletes on offense that has gone back to it's Air Raid roots and will be throwing the ball around on them a LOT. Should be a fun game with a lot of points, but take the Big 12 dark horse over the SEC dark horse.

OKLAHOMA

7 Oregon @ 5 Michigan State: I've already called for this to be the year you really start to see Oregon slide in the post-Chip era, so this seems like a no-brainer pick for the highly-rated Spartans, right? NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND. Michigan State was another team that got a bit exposed by some decent MAC competition last week. Dantonio is always going to have a good defense, but this is not the same defense from the last couple of years. Pat Narduzzi is gone, along with most of the top-end talent. They couldn't keep Oregon contained for 60 minutes last year, and they won't this year. So it's up to the offense to get it done. And while I like Connor Cook, he's a classic MSU quarterback: as good as the talent around him. And the offensive talent at MSU doesn't begin to compare to the Ducks this year.

OREGON

14 LSU @ 25 Mississippi State: On paper, this LSU team is very reminiscent of the 2011 team that played for the national title. In fact, they're probably MORE talented at the offensive skill positions than that team was. If they get even decent QB play, they are a legitimate dark horse playoff contender. Conversely, last year was Mississippi State's chance to win big. They lost too many key players on both sides of the ball to sustain that level of success this season. Right now, it's Dak Prescott, Bear Wilson, and just some dudes. And it showed last week, as they struggled late into the 4th quarter against previously (possibly currently) hapless Southern Miss. I like the Bayou Bengals, big.

LSU

20 Boise State @ BYU: Even with BYU's last second win over Nebraska last week, the air has kinda been let out of this one after the injury to Taysom Hill. He was the x-factor that gave the Cougars a chance to pull the upset. Without him, I see this as a hard-fought but sound victory for Boise. Unfortunately for the Broncos, while the injury to Hill likely makes this an easier win for them, it will be a net loss for them over the course of the season, as BYU slides in the win column without him and impacts their SOS.

BOISE

Nah. He's legit. Best recruiter in the biz right now.

I mean, if ya'll don't want him, we're happy to keep him at Bama. Won't be long until someone picks him up for another HC job, though.

Yeah, you guys keep him. He's kinda like Norv Turner. Ceiling is coordinator. Do not want as a HC.