DVDVR Message Board

High Stakes: Mayweather vs. Berto (9/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

So, whether or not it's a thoroughly-developed or or deeply-considered perspective notwithstanding, people should refrain from posting any opinions in this forum unless you happen share their point of view?  Great attitude to have as a moderator on a message board.

So, whether or not it's a thoroughly-developed or or deeply-considered perspective notwithstanding, people should refrain from posting any opinions in this forum unless you happen share their point of view?  Great attitude to have as a moderator on a message board.

Yup. Exit is on your left.

I've made it no secret I don't like Mayweather, but by no means would I call this a "sorry way to go out".  Simply because it was exactly like all of his other fights.  He's not going to suddenly abandon what made him successful in his supposed last fight. Besides, Berto was the opponent for a reason.

• Like 1

Even if the timing had lined up, I don't think they would have risked Danny Garcia or Keith Thurman. Too much at stake with them while this PBC thing is going on. Plus, there wasn't a ton of public demand to see those fights. I like Garcia and he's clearly a very capable fighter, but what was he going to do versus Floyd? If you thought Mauricio Herrera had him baffled, Garcia trying to deal with Floyd for 36 minutes wouldn't be a good look for his career. Personally, I would love to see Garcia, Thurman, and Porter all fight each other and add in Kell Brook, Ruslan Provodnikov (who is with Showtime now BTW), and Amir Khan. Plus, you have Bradley vs. Rios coming up. You got Errol Spence looking really sharp and promising. This would be the most exciting welterweight has been for what? Five or six years at least. It would make no sense sacrificing a young talent to someone on the way out just for novelty buys. You got all the novelty buys you need back in May.

• Like 1

As I said before, Floyd has an uncanny knack of spotting when a possible opponent has lost a half-step (or more), and that's when the deal gets made. I don't know if Packy at his best could have dealt with Floyd, but it would have been a damn sight more interesting then what we got.

Yeah but Pac Man was washed. I never thought he'd beat Floyd anyway but he was clearly not the same fighter.  It wasn't a situation where Floyd just made him look bad. He hasn't been the same Pac Man for quite a while.

• Like 1

Salido and Martinez puitting on another fight of the year candidate.

That fight was fucking aces.   I had Salido ahead on my card (116-112), but the judges saw differently.  

No way that should've been a draw.  Salido should've won by majority decision.

Mayweather - Berto was what I expected it to be.   No way was Money going to put his legacy on the line with a dangerous opponent.  He gave Berto props, but Berto didn't belong in the same ring with Money. 

Too bad that Keith Thurman was hurt.  I'd have preferred to have seen him fight Money although the outcome of that fight would've been similar to Mayweather - Berto.  If Thurman landed a punch on Money, he'd have hurt him.  Caveat being that he has to be able to land a punch on the greatest defensive fighter and greatest counterpuncher ever born.

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think it's about ego. I think that's a narrative people have magically created (just like he's afraid of Pacquiao) and not looking at it on a case-by-case basis. "I don't want to be a punch drunk zombie" is a pretty valid reason for retiring and has been used more often in the last 3-4 years (especially in MMA). 

After seeing the bios of Ali and tearing up while waiting in line to meet barely mobile Ken Norton and Michael Spinks in wheelchairs in Vegas during a couple of big fight cards in Vegas, I'd have to say that leaving boxing before you are crippled or a near vegetable and you have plenty of cash are the best reasons for getting out.

• Like 2

Not sure if it was respect, pity or both, but Money didn't even seem to have the heart to embrarass Berto as much as he's done other guys whose noses he really wanted to rub in it.  There was trash talk and shenanigans to keep the crowd invested, but Money did not torment Berto nearly as much as he has done to other fighters.

Money totally clowned Mosely, but 50% of that was to mask the fact that Sugar Shane punched the shit out of his ribs.  The first time since Diego Corrales where I'd actually seen Mayweather legit hurt in a fight and both times Money showed amazing powers of recovery and came back to win.

Cruz tried to hurt Money out of frustration with a deliberate headbutt and then kiss him on the cheek to beg off.  We all witnessed the humiliation to follow.  Protect yourself at all times, kids.

Yeah, I don't think it's about ego. I think that's a narrative people have magically created (just like he's afraid of Pacquiao) and not looking at it on a case-by-case basis. "I don't want to be a punch drunk zombie" is a pretty valid reason for retiring and has been used more often in the last 3-4 years (especially in MMA).

After seeing the bios of Ali and tearing up while waiting in line to meet barely mobile Ken Norton and Michael Spinks in wheelchairs in Vegas during a couple of big fight cards in Vegas, I'd have to say that leaving boxing before you are crippled or a near vegetable and you have plenty of cash are the best reasons for getting out.

Say what you will about Floyd's intelligence, but you don't have to be a super genius to be cognizant of how most of these guys wind up. Some of the guys from Floyd's era (the mid 90s, the 1996 US Olympic boxing team, etc.) aren't exactly sounding like most lucid people. You can say the same thing with Roy Jones seeing Gerald McClellan's condition, but that's why I say case-by-case basis. Yeah, Roy definitely needs the money. However, Roy is much more competitive and way more of an egomaniac than Floyd. The guy mentions himself during EVERY fight he calls. The combo of being broke and those two characteristics are not a good recipe for getting out the right time. Also, add in the fact he knows that most of the best guys now couldn't touch him with a flagpole in his prime. Thats adds a big amount to your ego.

I think if Floyd was still the same person from BEFORE he left in '08, then yeah, I wouldn't hestitate to say he comes back just like he did when he "retired" during the whole Top Rank dispute in 2000. However, from watching all the pressers and shoulder programming for years, you can slowly see the passion dissipate fight-by-fight. I think the burden of trying to be a rockstar out in public and everything being talked about outside the ring has burned him out completely. The fact that every formal interview and media appearance is 50% canned responses tells you everything you need to know. This is a man who has been planning an exit strategy for the last four years at least.

That's why it's kinda hard to judge whether Showtime got the best out of this deal. They were going to make bank if he fought Pacquiao either way, However, Stephen Espinoza thought they were going to get this fabulous showman and person who can build every fight up to be 900,000+ buys on PPV. The truth is that person hasn't been around for several years now. They essentially were paying for the idea of Floyd "Money" Mayweather and the idea that every fight is a must see event. The thing is now, unless you have a shitload of incentives, everything on PPV (pro wrestling, UFC, boxing, etc.) that doesn't get pre-approval from fans and casuals alike is a 50/50 proposition at best. PPV is far from dead, but brand name and ideas only get you to the door.

So if you're Showtime or HBO, you might get some shine for win number 50 or whatever "superfight" you can cobble together. However, you're still going to pay him $30 million+ and PPV dollars. Better yet, you can both agree that era was great but it's time to move on and try creating other stars.

Well, yeah.  What is there left to do?  You're the most dominant fighter in decades, you've beaten your closest nemesis albeit way past his prime, and you're not getting any younger.

You could tell from the Berto fight that he doesn't even have the heart to take on the Money persona.  it's not fun anymore.

After seeing the bios of Ali and tearing up while waiting in line to meet barely mobile Ken Norton and Michael Spinks in wheelchairs in Vegas during a couple of big fight cards in Vegas, I'd have to say that leaving boxing before you are crippled or a near vegetable and you have plenty of cash are the best reasons for getting out.

Hopefully he still winds up with a lot of that cash.  Hopefully he had good people taking care of him on the business end and bout number 50 doesn't wind up being a TKO by the IRS.  Always worry when guys buy lavish cars for their kids who arent even old enough to drive yet and blinged out jewelry.   And in the end they find out no one was paying his taxes for him.

I believe he had minor tax issues back in 2007-2009 and 2011 and got those taken care of. He hired Jeffrey Morse, a tax attorney out of Las Vegas.

I believe that $26 million of his purse for the Pacquiao fight went to the IRS. So yeah, I think he is fully aware the trouble the IRS can bring.

I believe he had minor tax issues back in 2007-2009 and 2011 and got those taken care of. He hired Jeffrey Morse, a tax attorney out of Las Vegas.

I believe that $26 million of his purse for the Pacquiao fight went to the IRS. So yeah, I think he is fully aware the trouble the IRS can bring.

Then he truly is smarter than 99.9999999% of other fighters