DVDVR Message Board

High Stakes: Mayweather vs. Berto (9/12/2015) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

poster.png

High Stakes: Mayweather vs. Berto

September 12, 2015

Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

WBA Super/WBC/Ring Magazine Welterweight Championship: Floyd Mayweather © (146) vs. Andre Berto (145) - Mayweather, DEC (unanimous)
- WBA Super (third defense)
- WBC  (fifth defense)
- The Ring Magazine (fourth defense)

WBO Super Featherweight Championship: Roman Martinez © (129.5) vs. Orlando Salido (130) (first defense) - DRAW (split)
WBC Super Middleweight Championship: Badou Jack © (167.5) vs. George Groves (168) (first defense) - Jack, DEC (split)
Jhonny Gonzalez (129) vs. Jonathan Oquendo (129) - Oquendo, DEC (majority)

Showtime Preliminary Card:
Vanes Martirosyan (154.5) vs. Ishe Smith (154) - Martirosyan, DEC (majority)

Untelevised Preliminary Card
:
Christopher Pearson (156) vs. Janks Trotter (155.5) - Pearson, TKO (referee stoppage), R7 (2:59)
Ronald Gavril (168) vs. Scott Sigmon (168) - Gavril, TKO (referee stoppage), R8 (3:00)
Ashley Theophane (143) vs. Steve Upsher Chambers (143.5) - Theophane, DEC (unanimous)
Gervonta Davis (132.5) vs. Recky Dulay (130) - Davis, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (1:34)
Sanjarbek Rakhmanov (143.5) vs. Farkhad Sharipov (143) - Rakhmanov, DEC (unanimous)
Trakwon Pettis (137.5) vs. Devante Seay (137) - Pettis, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (2:24)

Attendance: 13,395

Buyrate: 550,000

I just can't with this fight.  My homie wants me to come over to watch it(same guy that bought Jones-Mayorga II), so I'll probably see it.  The only chance I see for Berto is if he sells out and makes it a war, but that will probably get him beat even quicker.

I really can't imagine a fight that I have less interest in seeing. Berto couldn't hit Floyd with two handfuls of rice. Another boring evening of Floyd prancing around scoring points at will. Floyd has a remarkable ability to sense when challengers have just lost a half step and are no longer really challengers.

• Like 2

Berto is not going to get it done and his chin Is suspect to combinations.  I don't think even Money could sell Berto as a legit threat with a straight face and I expected him to take a safe fight as his swan song.

Better defensive fighter: Mayweather, Jr. or Whitaker?

Everyone is going to say Sweet Pea, but latter era Pernell was a bit hittable IIRC. Both had some great defensive performances though.

I'm partial to Azumah Nelson earlier on in his career.

I just watched Pernell take Nelson apart in '90. A complete masterclass by Sweet Pea. Pernell actually hit him with a punch behind his fucking back like the J-Will all-star game behind the back pass. Nelson was only 30 at the time but his legs were shot and he plodded forward in either a poor peekaboo or cross-arm shell defense. 

I'll say this, I think Sweet Pea had the better and flashier skills throughout the prime of his career but Mayweather was a smarter fighter and able to use his defense in a more effective manner. I never did get through watching Sweet Pea's career dvd set I got, I'm thinking this may spur me on to do so. 

Sweet Pea had a weird career with all that maybe bullshit decisions.

Is this really the end for Mayweather? 

I would say so. I mean you can never say never, but the endgame was Manny Pacquiao. He made it there and earned more than a quarter of a billion dollars. He broke a ton of records that likely will stand decades. What else is there to accomplish really? He really isn't that passionate about boxing and doesn't want to end up in poor health like his uncle. He MIGHT fight one more, but I think that's a long shot since he doesn't care about having 50 wins.

That's true but he didn't have to fight this one right?  I guess he had the contract but he could have retired.

Berto is fight number six on his six fight deal. Guerrero -> Canelo -> Maidana -> Maidana  -> Pacquiao -> Berto

If his last fight what a sorry way to go out

as opposed to the sterling exits of Sweet Pea, Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Arturo Gatti, Julio Cesar Chavez, Felix Trinidad, and Sugar Ray Leonard.

Please keep your opinions to yourself. K Thx.

Ya know, you and I are usually in lockstep on matters concerning the sweet science, but here I'm going to have to disagree. The little prick isn't smart enough to go out on top or save his millions. He certainly doesn't need to fight again, he's going out as the best defensive fighter of all time (sorry 'bout that Sweetpea, I calls 'em as I sees 'em), but his ego is not going to let him retire and enjoy his millions. He'll be back and he'll stay too long at the dance and in ten years he'll not only have tarnished his record but he'll probably be broke. And to quote the late, great "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers: "To a nicer guy it couldn't happen." 

I would say so. I mean you can never say never, but the endgame was Manny Pacquiao. He made it there and earned more than a quarter of a billion dollars. He broke a ton of records that likely will stand decades. What else is there to accomplish really? He really isn't that passionate about boxing and doesn't want to end up in poor health like his uncle. He MIGHT fight one more, but I think that's a long shot since he doesn't care about having 50 wins.

Ya know, you and I are usually in lockstep on matters concerning the sweet science, but here I'm going to have to disagree. The little prick isn't smart enough to go out on top or save his millions. He certainly doesn't need to fight again, he's going out as the best defensive fighter of all time (sorry 'bout that Sweetpea, I calls 'em as I sees 'em), but his ego is not going to let him retire and enjoy his millions. He'll be back and he'll stay too long at the dance and in ten years he'll not only have tarnished his record but he'll probably be broke. And to quote the late, great "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers: "To a nicer guy it couldn't happen." 

Yeah, I don't think it's about ego. I think that's a narrative people have magically created (just like he's afraid of Pacquiao) and not looking at it on a case-by-case basis. "I don't want to be a punch drunk zombie" is a pretty valid reason for retiring and has been used more often in the last 3-4 years (especially in MMA).