DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 - Q4

RIPPA

Watching Matt Sydal on NJPW's King of Pro Wrestling made me think that if he has his personal issues straight, he'd be perfect for this player/coach thing in NXT.

Enjoying pot qualifies as personal issues?

How about just "general dumbassery"? The guy got popped for a Wellness Violation, came back, and got busted again barely a month later.

I think they accidentally pulled off a double-turn by having Samoa Joe eliminate Tyler Breeze in the battle royal, whose constant losing has essentially turned him into an underdog face as far as that crowd is concerned. 

A full-on double turn would actually be pretty good with these two. Joe can kill Breeze, move on to the NXT title, and dominate while Breeze begins his redemption face run.

Nia Jax was underwhelming after the months of video packages. Like anything NXT, I'll give it some time, though.

Blake and Murphy sounds fine when introducing them as a team, but they really need their first names back when the spotlight is on one of them individually. It's hard to think of a way to make someone look less important than wrestling as "Blake."

I hope the title angles they started tonight get blown off before the next Takeover. Asuka/Bayley and Joe/Balor are the money matches in NXT right now. I like Alexa and Crews, but they both have "filler program" written all over them. This also means Joe/Breeze would need to wrap up soon, but that's the one angle of those three I think has some longevity potential and would actually be "special-event" worthy.

I think they accidentally pulled off a double-turn by having Samoa Joe eliminate Tyler Breeze in the battle royal, whose constant losing has essentially turned him into an underdog face as far as that crowd is concerned. 

Blake and Murphy sounds fine when introducing them as a team, but they really need their first names back when the spotlight is on one of them individually. It's hard to think of a way to make someone look less important than wrestling as "Blake."

How great would it be, if one of them was named Blake Murphy and the other Murphy Blake?

"Now coming to the ring, the team of Blake Murphy and Murphy Blake, Blake & Murphy."

• Like 1

What the hell were they thinking letting Nia Jax dress up as a Christmas ornament? Decent debut for her, but Asuka is 10 times scarier.

I couldn't put my finger on what that outfit looked like, but you nailed it.

I agree that Nia Jax's outfit was horrible. Other than that, a decent debut. I think she will be really good in a few months. And nice to see Evie! 

I like Alexa but this feud with Bayley is definitely filler. As good as her promos are, in-ring she's still not quite there yet. 

I think someone here posted a video of commentary that Graves did with two kids and I remember one of those kids in particular was really funny. Definitely did a better job than the RAW team most weeks. 

The kid announcer saying Drake Younger looked like an angry, old Vin Diesel was hilarious.  "Look at that ref.  I wouldn't mess with him."

My issue with Nia Jax is that she should be busting out a powerbomb and a fat man splash in every squash. I mean, I like that Rock Bottom knock-off well enough (and the dude in the crowd who clearly yelled ROCK BOTTOM! ROCK BOTTOM! in a Jim Ross impression after she did it actually made me crack a laugh), but I want more killer offense in these squashes.

Maybe someone should have her watch Yokozuna squash matches from when he first showed up in the company in late 1991 for purposes of emulation. 

• Like 1

The crowd reaction during the battle royal was interesting.

Decent debut for Jax. She seems a lil bit too nice in the ring, she needs to channel a lil bit of that Evil Emma attitude into things. And, yeah, that outfit is not flattering at all; who thought a full body suit with nothing to help with the transition from her hip to her lower body was a good idea? Her Mad Max outfit was a step in the right direction.

5IXL0YW.jpg

• Like 1

Well after weeks of vignettes you would expect the presentation of her character to be better than what was showcased and for what was produced, she was sold as a wrestler that should be wrestling as a ''beast'', I dug the bear hug and her finisher looked impactful but the unflattering attire seems to have overshadowed what was a passable debut match yet underwhelming given the hype.

It's hugely lazy to see a larger woman and expect her to dress and wrestle like a beast. Plus, she's made ONE appearance.

I wouldn't call it lazy. It's more like hopeful. The women need a giant of some sort who can act as a base for their higher-end moves and who can toss them around. She can be more rotund or cut like Chyna for all I care, but I'd like to see a bigger woman in that sort of role. 

How was she sold as a "beast"? Her vignettes didn't show anything other than her eyes, mouth, and hands. And her attire wasn't great but to say it was unflattering is amazingly sexist - it definitely wouldn't be said about a male of comparative size.

And, yeah, maybe we do need a giant in the women's division. But I'd rather them try and get over a larger woman without taking that shortcut first before giving in and saying, "welp, here's Awesome Kong II, then".

How was she sold as a "beast"? Her vignettes didn't show anything other than her eyes, mouth, and hands. And her attire wasn't great but to say it was unflattering is amazingly sexist - it definitely wouldn't be said about a male of comparative size.

And, yeah, maybe we do need a giant in the women's division. But I'd rather them try and get over a larger woman without taking that shortcut first before giving in and saying, "welp, here's Awesome Kong II, then".

If you look at the layout of the match, it was your typical ''big man'' formula, she was sold as a dominating figure with Evie working from beneath, depending on how you define a ''beast'' is subjective but whatever. And yes, the attire was unflattering, however you want to spin it, it's not misogynistic to say something sucks.

• Like 1

Man, people make fun of wrestling attire all the time. Comparably speaking, if PN News came out on our screens right the fuck now, people here would be making fun of his goofy attire. 

I don't buy that claim of misogyny, at least here. Maybe in a pit like Wreddit or something. 

*Watches battle royal* Poor Solomon Crowe. :(

I'm definitely in favor of having a large crusher diva in the division and was excited, but I was also underwhelmed by Nia Jax's match. My apologies to her opponent, but I wanted Jax to do more crushing and smashing. The Brazo del Plata butt ram was a good touch, though. Maybe more crushing and smashing next match?

The NXT audience annoys me so often with their cutesy smarky smark chants.