DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 - Q4

RIPPA

Here's what happens in the IronWoman match next week.  No insider knowledge, just a guess.  You can open this next week after the show if you want to be surprised.

Bayley and Sasha go to a draw in the 30 minutes.  They announce a 5 minute sudden death round.  Towards the end of the overtime, Sasha has Bayley in the Bank Statement.  Bayley tries to fight it off but taps just as time expires.  They go to the video replay and determine time ran out before Bayley tapped.  They then announce that due to the draw, Bayley is still the champion.  Bayley says that she thinks Sasha should be the champion.  Sir Regal says that's not how it works, Bayley is still the champion.  Bayley then vacates the title and says she doesn't deserve it and they announce a title tournament to crown a new winner that concludes at Takeover:London.

Having two of the four NXT Women's Champions in history vacate the title is bad. My guess is Bayley wins clean-ish after Team BAD helps Sasha gain an advantage and then team CB come out to even the odds and chase off Team BAD. Your final shot of Takeover will be Bayley holding up her Women's Title, Charlotte holding up her Divas Title, and Becky looking happy but a bit jealous at her two friends. This plants the seed of Becky/Bayley at Takeover: London and we can start 2016 with Becky and Charlotte controlling the Womens and Divas divisions.

Technically, Paige didn't vacate the title, it was stripped.  But I see what you're saying.  I'm just trying to think of other options for Bayley than just defending the title until she loses it.

Here's what happens in the IronWoman match next week.  No insider knowledge, just a guess.  You can open this next week after the show if you want to be surprised.

Bayley and Sasha go to a draw in the 30 minutes.  They announce a 5 minute sudden death round.  Towards the end of the overtime, Sasha has Bayley in the Bank Statement.  Bayley tries to fight it off but taps just as time expires.  They go to the video replay and determine time ran out before Bayley tapped.  They then announce that due to the draw, Bayley is still the champion.  Bayley says that she thinks Sasha should be the champion.  Sir Regal says that's not how it works, Bayley is still the champion.  Bayley then vacates the title and says she doesn't deserve it and they announce a title tournament to crown a new winner that concludes at Takeover:London.

Having two of the four NXT Women's Champions in history vacate the title is bad. My guess is Bayley wins clean-ish after Team BAD helps Sasha gain an advantage and then team CB come out to even the odds and chase off Team BAD. Your final shot of Takeover will be Bayley holding up her Women's Title, Charlotte holding up her Divas Title, and Becky looking happy but a bit jealous at her two friends. This plants the seed of Becky/Bayley at Takeover: London and we can start 2016 with Becky and Charlotte controlling the Womens and Divas divisions.

Not sure why there's a need for spoilers past this point.

I love Becky and would be pleased as punch to see her win the title.  But Bayley just won it, after her quest for the title it'd be foolish for her to lose it so soon.  Plus she's got that huge following that is hard for many to get, be it NXT or main roster.  Maybe at minimum middle next year you can consider getting the belt off her, but I wouldn't do it anytime soon.

Not sure why there's a need for spoilers past this point.

I love Becky and would be pleased as punch to see her win the title.  But Bayley just won it, after her quest for the title it'd be foolish for her to lose it so soon.  Plus she's got that huge following that is hard for many to get, be it NXT or main roster.  Maybe at minimum middle next year you can consider getting the belt off her, but I wouldn't do it anytime soon.

At the same time, though, the developmental factor also HAS to be considered for Bayley to lose the title so soon because of how big her quest for the title was to this point. When NXT is developmental, and with the character development and actual story arcs wrestlers get there, part of NXT is to realize that the title win is the final chapter of each wrestler's specific story arc, and once they've won the belt, it's time to prepare them for exactly when they get the callup to Raw or Smackdown- witness how Charlotte's biggest problem this year could boil down to "she stayed in NXT just a couple months too long"- if she got called up the night after Wrestlemania, things would make more sense. 

Bayley losing the belt too soon wouldn't work- but if the endgame is "Bayley's  callup is imminent"? It makes slightly more sense.

Bayley losing the belt sooner rather than later is important. Her story is she's the unlikely champion so when she loses it needs to be the biggest screw job in NXT. Like if the match is Bayley vs. Dana then Evil Emma, Nia Jax, and Asuka need to interfere so that the odds are so stacked against Bayley even she can't win. It gives her something to fight for.

Bummed to see Joe and Bálor beat Enzo and Cass. They clipped the hell out of this match because we went from opening standoff before the break to hot tag after it. It looked like it was a hot match though. 

I really wanted to see Crews and Gargano do some more counter-wrestling. Great athleticism out of both guys that really made the exchange fun. Gargano slowing things down with holds probably wasn't the match they should have decided to wrestle after that opening exchange. I still think Crews gives too much to his opponents right now. I feel like after Vince really sees this dude, he's getting the "next John Cena" push on the main roster for some reason.

OK, Dana mispronouncing "hyena" and then Emma chiming in with "She says it like that" to help Regal understand was really funny. Also love the off-screen video Asuka murdering people terrifying Dana and causing Emma to bail.

Prediction: After Bayley retains over Sasha at Takeover: Respect and finally earns Sasha's (ahem) respect, Nia Jax comes out and destroys Bayley and also maybe Sasha. 

Nice stalling suplex from Billie Kay there. "You're nothin' but a Billie goat" is so absurd that it made me laugh. Emma is an awesome heel with the hi-five fakeout to the kid in the crowd and kicking Billie's arm away from the tag nonchalantly and such. Fine tag match from these guys. 

I'm just a huge fan of Tyler Breeze's act. Man, I wish he was the champ right now. Clever boy, adopting the Killswitch Unprettier. Also much better than the Beauty Shot, which I just don't buy as a flash knockout-type move. 

I am SO excited for Takeover: Respect. The card looks stacked. The tag matches are going to be awesome, and I'm really looking forward to Jordan and Gable vs. whoever comes out of the semis of the tournament and, of course, Bayley/Sasha IronMan. Nice hype video to finish the show. 

I wonder if they clipped Balor, Joe vs Cass and Enzo because they didn't want to show Balor being semi heelish by working over Enzo?  Two weeks in a row I just can't buy Gargano's offense.

Asuka's debut should be awesome I'm pretty hyped for it. Breeze vs Ciampa was good, and I like Breeze using the unprettier. Finally seeing the Ausie twins at the same time it seems that Billie is the better of the two.

JJ and Gable going over Joe and Balor in a great match could make those guys, and I hope that's what we get. Bayley vs Sasha is the best thing WWE has done all year I really don't know what more I can say. It's two great wrestlers, two great characters, and two very over women at the top of their game.

That video package for the ladies was incredible.  Stuttsy made a great point.  On NXT, women are shown training like athletes.  On Raw and Smackdown they are still fighting over men.

I really think the swerve is coming, and Finn is going to turn.  Seems like he's started to adopt some of the old "Real Rock n' Rolla" personality.

Man, WTF happened with Balor/Joe vs The Realesr Guys? The promo last week and the first segment until the commercial break felt like an old ECW tag classic -- like Candido/Storm vs Sabu/RVD. Obviously this wasn't in terms of work, since wrestling is so different now. But it had an awesome big match feel and the stand off between Enzo and Finn after that great dive sequence was great. But then, it was like... What? The end sequence was great but the whole "Enzo holds his own against the champ" mid-match story would have been wonderful.

Gargano and Tomasso are fine in the ring in terms of having good looking offense but they are the exact opposite of that in terms of promo and having any sense of purpose. Just total goofs, and not in a good way.

JJ and Gable and The Mechanics are the total opposite. I loved that segment. Was Gable saying "I'm the one with the towel?" in the trash talk? Those guys are all great.

Sasha/Bayley is an all-time great feud. The package felt a little like the legendary stuff between The Rock and Brock back in the day with all the training clips. Awesome stuff.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Asuka's reaction to Emma and Dana, the Asuka I know would have been kicking some bitches in the head. In the motherfucking head!

But that's the thing - you don't know Asuka, you know Kana.  Asuka is new and we haven't been shown that side.

Yet.

Good point, Mike.

I still think Crews gives too much to his opponents right now.

Yeah, I mean...I get that this is developmental and learning how to work from underneath will be pretty important for him if he's going to make it as a face on the main roster, but he's such a hoss, it looks ridiculous that he has to give so much to guys like Crowe and Gargano, or even Dillinger, who's bigger but is just a doofus.

• Like 1

Also, I think Tyler Breeze has moved to the top of the list of guys I selfishly don't want to see called up. He has worked hard to improve, but I can't shake the feeling he would be Adam Rose v2 on Raw.

I think Breeze would translate a lot more smoothly. Everyone would get it about 10 seconds into the entrance, and even if he just did a bunch of jobs, that's pretty much what he does in NXT anyway.

I think he's more likely to be Bo Dallas v2. Not a total fail, but limited on how far it can go.

Have to disagree, Rick Martel made it work and while I'll grant he was considerably better in the ring than Tyler, Tyler has it all over him in every other significant area. And while he's not a top-level good worker yet, he's becoming a very smart one, (he knows his limitations and more importantly, those of his opponent and he's being doing a great job of getting the most he can out of people). You have to be pretty smart to make what's-his-name, the Oompa-Loompa guy, look credible when you tower over him by half a foot.

Big difference, Finn doesn't prance around like a rent-boy on ecstasy.  Poor Alex, one of the greatest misuses of talent I've ever seen and considering it was WCW, that covers a lot of ground.

Finn Balor's entrance posing with his leather jacket reminds me of Alex Wright. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

• Like 2

Let me start by saying, I do love me some NXT.

Yeah, that opening match was clipped to hell and back but I agree it's to hide the fact that Finn is slowly warming up his heel game. He turns on Joe. It's coming and it's going to be fun watching Joe chase him while the crowd promises Finn that "Joe is gonna kill you," for a few weeks.

Dana is improving. She's still not good but putting her with Emma is a smart move and seems to be helping her come along at a better clip. The Aussies will be a great compliment to the ladies midcard as they rebuild the division. Watching Dana and Emma react to the Asuka vid was fun. I'm wondering how much of Kana's old act is going to be involved in her NXT persona.

I'm not sold on Crews yet. I still don't like his finisher. Mind you, it's not just his finisher I don't like. His style feels like he's just running from high spot to high spot. I'm willing to watch and wait. On the other hand I like what I've seen from Gargano so far.

I like Ciampa. His look is oddball (unless you're Road Warrior Animal or Mr. T, I hate your mohawk) but I really dig his in ring style. Tyler continues to entertain me. He's like mid-90's Shawn Michaels-lite and that's not a bad thing.

I would be more than happy to watch Dash and Dawson (why did they drop the Mechanics, that was  a great tag team name) vs. Jason Jordan and Chad Gable go 30 minutes at Takeover. I dig both of these teams soooo much.

The highlight of the show for me was the hype video for Bayley vs. Sasha. How can this company be so hot and cold when it comes to booking the women. The main roster shows are awful and have completely squandered what they have. Meanwhile, NXT has me MARKING THE FUCK OUT for a 30 minute Iron Woman match. I'd be much happier in my own selfish way to see the Horsewomen called BACK so they can wrestle great matches and let the Bellas of the world have slap fights over boyfriends on Raw.

In closing, I'd like to say I do love me some NXT.