DVDVR Message Board

Beatdowns in movies

Thomas Bugg

How could no one mention Tyler Durden nearly killing Angel Face?

"I felt like destroying something beautiful."

Or the club owner beating Tyler into a bloody pulp?

Or Tyler beating the crap out of himself in his boss' office?

Undisputed 2 and Undisputed 3 are the best dumbest prison combat sports movies that only I have seen.

Fuck Ivan Drago.  Meet Yuri mother fucking Boyka

Dudes are just getting knocked the fuck out in that video.  I love it!

If you ask me this snitch fuck deserved the Bloods beating his ass to a pulp.

"It's a cold world, Blood. No mercy. Ain't that what you write on the walls?"

The fight scene in the restaurant where he gets arrested is brutal too. He doesn't really get many licks in either so you could possibly designate it as a beatdown. I mean the guy gets thrown on a damn burner for chrissake.

Man I love Colors and nobody ever talks about it. You got a young and pissed off Sean Penn, a genius of a burned-out cop in Robert Duvall ("What, you think I ain't crazy? Try me. Try me, you fuck."), some great supporting performances from all the gang members and cops, some iconic lines ("Let's go get some of this juicy bootie!"), Daman Wayans as a loveboated-out Crip wearing a diaper and hairnet and dancing with a giant stuffed rabbit in a department store... great movie. Hell of an ending too. Hopper deserved an Oscar IMO.

EDIT: Okay, it wasn't a diaper, but close enough. 

Robocop throwing Clarence Boddicker (best villain ever) through all those panes of glass has to go here.

I used to work at TACOM in Warren, Michigan and my boss would always go, "TIGERS ARE PLAYIN'~! TONIGHT~! AND I NEVER MISS A GAME~!" before heading out of the door to watch Justin Verlander start a game.

No work got done during baseball season.  None.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Raid and The Raid 2 have about 400 entries for this thread. The final fight between 'Mad Dog' and the Brothers in The Raid is just insane!

All you had to do was ask.

How any of these guys manages to stay semi-conscious is beyond me.  Brutal, brutal striking.

The only full version I can find on the vid stream sites of the Hammer Girl fight scene on the metro train from Berendal BKA The Raid 2 is this shitty resound on YouTube, but it shows why she's a cult figure now. 

That poor bastard at the end really gets jacked up.

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the final episode of This is England '90, so it was fresh in my mind. You need to see that, if you haven't.

Just be grateful I didn't post that scene from TiE'86. If you've seen it, you'll know which one... Not that it was really a beatdown per se. It was something.

A ton of the Chan/Sammo/Biao fight scenes from the 80s would fit here but which movie was the scene were Sammo took out a bunch of guys in a warehouse with a pole? I remember the movie being fairly sparse on action, but that 60 second scene or however long it was, was amazing. I searched youtube but couldn't find it and now it's driving me crazy.

Edit : Found it : Owl vs. Bumbo

Didn't see the subtitled version, and not as much as a beatdown as I remembered. Still, perfect example of what made Sammo's 80s HK flix so fun; long cuts, great camera angles/choreo and stuntman willing to die for our pleasure. You can get maybe one of the above in modern action flix but never all of them.

• Like 1