DVDVR Message Board

Beatdowns in movies

Thomas Bugg

A ton of the Chan/Sammo/Biao fight scenes from the 80s would fit here but which movie was the scene were Sammo took out a bunch of guys in a warehouse with a pole? I remember the movie being fairly sparse on action, but that 60 second scene or however long it was, was amazing. I searched youtube but couldn't find it and now it's driving me crazy.

Edit : Found it : Owl vs. Bumbo

Didn't see the subtitled version, and not as much as a beatdown as I remembered. Still, perfect example of what made Sammo's 80s HK flix so fun; long cuts, great camera angles/choreo and stuntman willing to die for our pleasure. You can get maybe one of the above in modern action flix but never all of them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Or unless they're, y'know, more physically capable than you. I don't see how it's "embarrassing" for an old guy with a gunshot wound and a badly broken arm to get beaten up by three professional stunt performers in good health who are half his age.

There are 2 GREAT beatdowns in Miller's Crossing (sadly I can't find clips).

First after Tommy gets taken by Caspar's goons and Caspar and the Dane leave him alone in the room with Frankie to get roughed up. Tommy tells him to wait and the decks him with the chair. Frankie looks genuinely upset tha Tommy did that so he go gets Tic-Tac and Tic-Tac proceeds to savagely beat the crap out of him.

Second after Tommy confesses to Leo about his sneaking around with Verna behind Leo's back. Tommy leaves the room and is on his way out of the club when Leo comes out of hi office and beats Tommy's down the stairs all the way to the dining room.

Jesus Gabriel Byrne got his ass kicked a lot in Miller's crossing

James