DVDVR Message Board

I don't remember then ever calling Bravo's move the Sidewalk Slam.  I don't remember ever hearing that move called the Sidewalk until well into the 90's with Diesel, years after the no-spin Spinebuster had been called that since at least the early 90's if not the 80's. I'm not saying it never happened, but I damn sure don't remember it.

The out of headlock one has tons of names, side suplex, back suplex, belly to back suplex, backdrop, backdrop suplex, teardrop suplex, probably some others.

28 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Not that I expect dude to admit to us morons that he was mistaken, but here's a clip around 1:50 with the side suplex call.

Congrats! That's one instance that the commentator had a brain fart but 99.9% of the time it was called and still is called a sidewalk slam. Kevin Nash's version is a sidewalk slam and was called that as well. Just because 1x someone called it something different doesn't automatically mean the name of the move is now different. We all make mistakes and fumble words. Dino and Nash used sidewalk slams in their move sets

22 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I don't remember then ever calling Bravo's move the Sidewalk Slam.  I don't remember ever hearing that move called the Sidewalk until well into the 90's with Diesel, years after the no-spin Spinebuster had been called that since at least the early 90's if not the 80's. I'm not saying it never happened, but I damn sure don't remember it.

The out of headlock one has tons of names, side suplex, back suplex, belly to back suplex, backdrop, backdrop suplex, teardrop suplex, probably some others.

Every clip of it all over YouTube and the WWE Network except the one slip up posted above has Dino's finisher called a sidewalk slam

See how some people would translate the katakana for Keiji Mutoh's elbowdrop and call it the "Flashing Elbow"?

It was actually "Thrashing Elbow" all along. But Mutoh thought that was so funny that he called his running knee off the knee a "Shining Wizard" anyway.

PS: Gorilla Moronsoon thought the Russian Legsweep was called "Neckbreaker". He was a terrible play by play guy because he ignored industry standards of what moves were called and made up his own shit. If Gordon Solie said a move was called something, you bet your arse Jim Ross and Lance Russell would also call the same move the same thing. But not bloody Gorilla, no, he's got to have his own names for things because we're not Wrestling, we're Sports Entertainment and all the rest of that bollocks.

Can we just agree with Vince, that every move in Wrestling history is called "Whattamanouver" and move on from there?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

PS: Gorilla Moronsoon thought the Russian Legsweep was called "Neckbreaker". He was a terrible play by play guy because he ignored industry standards of what moves were called and made up his own shit. If Gordon Solie said a move was called something, you bet your arse Jim Ross and Lance Russell would also call the same move the same thing. But not bloody Gorilla, no, he's got to have his own names for things because we're not Wrestling, we're Sports Entertainment and all the rest of that bollocks.

You’re have to give Gorilla a break; on many nights the fans were literally hanging from the rafters, and the pandemonium would cause issues with his external occipital protuberance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Brian Fowler said:

So I watched seven different Dino Bravo matches and there were zero usage of Sidewalk Slam in any of them.

Also I watched seven Dino Bravo matches God help me

Whenever he does that move it was called a sidewalk slam and same thing with Nash and presently it's still called a sidewalk Slam

Dude, literally seven different matches ranging over a four year period, he hit the move in all of them. They either called it a side suplex or side slam, or didn't give it a name. Not a single one of them said sidewalk. 

I mean, literally, there might be videos out there, but even the video labeled Dino Bravo Sidewalk Slam didn't include an announcer saying those words. The videos that came up when I searched Dino Bravo Sidewalk Slam didn't have a single time they said it.

He got someone to watch seven Dino Bravo matches. He's accomplished his goal.

To continue dead horse beating, I thought the teardrop suplex was something else. Michaels' original finisher when he went solo?

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Dog said:

He got someone to watch seven Dino Bravo matches. He's accomplished his goal.

To continue dead horse beating, I thought the teardrop suplex was something else. Michaels' original finisher when he went solo?

Yeah, it's slightly modified but i was on a roll.

As far as Dino Bravo goes, i rest my case that the move wasn't called a sidewalk slam when he did it, so you can move your goalposts where ever they need to go.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah, it's slightly modified but i was on a roll.

As far as Dino Bravo goes, i rest my case that the move wasn't called a sidewalk slam when he did it, so you can move your goalposts where ever they need to go.

It's been a sidewalk slam and still called a sidewalk slam for a reason because that it what it is. Not rocket science here 

• RIPPA locked this topic