DVDVR Message Board

6 hours ago, RandomAct said:

Except that they WERE. Spend less time correcting people and more time watching old footage.

Uh no! They were never called that. I have watched plenty of old footage as I have been a fan since the 70s. Sidewalk Slam us Dino bravo finsher and one of Nash's regular moveset. A side suplex is done out of a headlock. Get your facts straight if you wanna be a so called wrestling fan

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Did... Did someone register just to bump a five year old thread and incorrectly correct a post?

---------------

Anyway, on a somewhat related note, I'll never forget the day I suddenly understood why they call the Atomic Drop a Manhattan Drop in Japan.

Yes I did but did not incorrectly post. I wanted to help you youngins out with your wrestling terms

16 minutes ago, NotYourMark1 said:

Yes I did but did not incorrectly post. I wanted to help you youngins out with your wrestling terms

You monster. We're not that young. Also, isn't it called the Manhattan Drop because of Adrian Adonis's previous gimmick as a leather jacket wearing biker guy or something and doing the move?

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

You monster. We're not that young. Also, isn't it called the Manhattan Drop because of Adrian Adonis's previous gimmick as a leather jacket wearing biker guy or something and doing the move?

It's obviously a New York Dolls reference.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

I always thought the difference was: The atomic drop is done from behind, the Manhattan Drop has you facing the opponent when you do it (or reversed, but the difference would still be "one's facing, one's from behind.")

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Does pronunciation count? If so, I want to settle the debate over SUPLEX.

Is it pronounced:

suuu-plex

or

suuuu-play

I've always gone with the former, but apparently there are some, including Gordon Solie and Ron Trongard who pronounce it as the latter.

Suplex is a derivation of souplex, which is French, because Greco-Roman wrestling, contrary to the name, was a mid 19th-century French invention. (The ahistorical name comes from a desire to connect the style/ethic to ancient Olympic traditions, because 19th-century Europe loved artificial ancientry and classical connections.) Etymology aside, since suplex is the English derivation of a French word, and not a French word itself, I think "supleks" makes more sense.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:28 AM, NotYourMark1 said:

Uh no! They were never called that. I have watched plenty of old footage as I have been a fan since the 70s. Sidewalk Slam us Dino bravo finsher and one of Nash's regular moveset. A side suplex is done out of a headlock. Get your facts straight if you wanna be a so called wrestling fan

Your "side suplex" was actually a "belly-to-back" suplex back in the day. I think most people call it the "backdrop suplex" now? I feel like that was a Mike Tenay thing.

10 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

I always remember Terry Funk, the inventor of the move

Wait hold up what? Where did you hear this from? He didn't even mention it in his book, and you think something that carny would have come out in the works. 

Meanwhile, "hoo-den-can-rana" is just Brooklynese. 

7 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Hey speaking of ridiculous Joey Styles pronunciations, what was up with "hoo-den-can-rana"?

Probably trying to get close to the proper Spanish pronunciation where the double R would be rolled, but has no actual Spanish-speaking experience or education, so it comes out awkward with his American accent.

7 hours ago, Dog said:

Your "side suplex" was actually a "belly-to-back" suplex back in the day. I think most people call it the "backdrop suplex" now? I feel like that was a Mike Tenay thing.

It's still callee the sidewalk slam which is the original name because that's what it actually is. SMH dude. Pay attention

Not saying you're wrong, but........I'd like you to cite an instance of a belly to back suplex being called a sidewalk slam. I'm not one to really care much about what moves are called what, but the belly to back and the side suplex are two different moves. In my 30+ years watching wrestling, I've always heard the Dino Bravo/Kevin Nash side slam version called the sidewalk slam and have never once seen nor heard of the belly to back called a sidewalk slam.

Again, not saying you're wrong, but until I see or hear it cited any other way at any point within the last 40 years then, well.......you're wrong.

• Like 1

This whole conversation is ridiculous:

Sidewalk Slam, also called a Side Supex when Dino Bravo was using it as a Finish:

The actual Side Suplex 

is usually referred as a belly-to-back, or a variant of a backdrop supex:

What got a called a Sidewalk slam by Tony Schiavone at his laziest is a front spinebuster, or

• Like 1

Exactly! I've been right. Kevin Nash and Dino bravo do the sidewalk slam. Dino bravos finisher was ONLY called a sidewalk slam. The clip you attached is titled sidewalk slam and the commentators don't call it a side suplex. 

I never said a backdrop suplex was a sidewalk slam. I came on here to educate you morons that thought a side suplex was the same thing as a sidewalk slam. They are both two different maneuvers

52 minutes ago, MonteCarl said:

Not saying you're wrong, but........I'd like you to cite an instance of a belly to back suplex being called a sidewalk slam. I'm not one to really care much about what moves are called what, but the belly to back and the side suplex are two different moves. In my 30+ years watching wrestling, I've always heard the Dino Bravo/Kevin Nash side slam version called the sidewalk slam and have never once seen nor heard of the belly to back called a sidewalk slam.

Again, not saying you're wrong, but until I see or hear it cited any other way at any point within the last 40 years then, well.......you're wrong.

Finally! Someone besides me that knows the difference between a sidewalk slam and a side suplex ?

There's no such thing as a Butterfly Suplex, it's called a Double Elbows Throw. I'm right because I'm from England.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NotYourMark1 said:

Exactly! I've been right. Kevin Nash and Dino bravo do the sidewalk slam. Dino bravos finisher was ONLY called a sidewalk slam. The clip you attached is titled sidewalk slam and the commentators don't call it a side suplex. 

I never said a backdrop suplex was a sidewalk slam. I came on here to educate you morons that thought a side suplex was the same thing as a sidewalk slam. They are both two different maneuvers

Well,

I can't find a YouTube video, but on The WWE Network, available for only $9.99, there are plenty of matches of Dino's where Monsoon is calling the Sidewalk Slam a Side Suplex.  So the confusion is understandable.  Also, while I can't locate a YouTube video, there are plenty of Nitro's where Tony is calling Spinebuster's Sidewalk Slam's, so it's all understandable.  Then again, there was that time where Tony was calling everything a Sidewalk Slam (like someone hitting a Sunset Flip Powerbomb),  But incorrect.

I feel like I'm being gaslighted or something here, because I could SWEAR the argument as presented earlier was that the sidewalk slam was not the same as the Dino Bravo/Kevin Nash side slam and that the actual sidewalk slam was what we all know as the belly to back suplex. Either that or my reading comprehension is way off. But.....whatever. Not going to mix it up further with anybody over names of wrestling moves.