DVDVR Message Board

I wanted start a topic encapsulating wrestling maneuvers that are called 'incorrectly'.  Either the names have been lost in translation or an 'incorrect' name has been popularized rendering the 'correct' name obsolete.I used quotes because who *really* knows what's correct or not?  This thread isn't to blame or to shame; I'm hoping to learn a few things & have some fun discussing the prowres.  I'll start..

Somersault Plancha- I was always told that 'Plancha' came from the Spanish word planchar (to iron). This meant to flatten out and would go on to describe any maneuver where an opponent would flatten their chest (Pescado, drop down, cross body).  By this logic, a somersault plancha would be a 450 pescado?  Either way, I refer to the move as a tope con hilo/giro (bump into your opponent w/ twist/flip).

Rolling Elbow- mistranslated from ro-ri-n-gu e-ru-bo. When Masato Tanaka popped up in ECW, Joey Styles proclaimed to the world that ol' "Dangan" himself was the master of the ROARING elbow.  Can't blame him though.. Roaring sounds pretty boss.Savate- Spinning kick to the midsection is often mistranslated as "sole butt" as to hit someone with the sole of your boot, I guess.  The katakana for this maneuver is sa-bat-to and is meant to describe a kick from the art of Savate (French Footfighting).  As a child I remember Haku and Stan Lane felling many a foe thanks to the mighty Savate (Thrust) Kick.

Suplex/Suplay- From what I gather, the correct pronunciation of Suplex actually *is* SOOPLAY.  Apparently the late, great Gordon Solie was the last true advocate for the former.Arm drag and twist- Ol' Tony Schiavone would call the "full arm dragon twist" whenever a wrestling would wring an opponent's arm prior to clamping on a wrist lock..  Also sounds pretty cool.  I'm assuming that the same goes for the "drag and screw leg whip".  Anyone?

Enzuigiri- The main problem I have with this move is the incorrect pronunciation.  Usually, it's sounded out like N-zuh-gurry.  Back to the Japanese pronunciation, it should sound something like N-zuee-gee-ree.  Yes, this is a bit nerdy.  I digress...This is all that comes to my mind at the moment.  Let the DISCUSS begin...

I IMMEDIATELY thought of the Sidewalk Slam.  It's to the point now where newer fans will cry "botch" if they watch an old tape and hear someone call the Ron Simmons/Booker T spinebuster the sidewalk slam, even though THAT IS THE CORRECT NAME.  I fucking refuse to call the side slam the sidewalk slam.

Also, thanks to goddamn Yukes, people call the Air Raid Crash the Emerald Frosion.  Get that shit out of here.  Also "tiger bomb" drives me nuts.

• Like 1

I IMMEDIATELY thought of the Sidewalk Slam.  It's to the point now where newer fans will cry "botch" if they watch an old tape and hear someone call the Ron Simmons/Booker T spinebuster the sidewalk slam, even though THAT IS THE CORRECT NAME.  I fucking refuse to call the side slam the sidewalk slam.

I blame Jim Ross and his "spine on the pine" for this.  Gotta have the pivot for it to be a spinebuster in my eyes.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

The sidewalk slam is a side slam because the person is to your side as you walk ie diesel/Nash regular moveset The spinebuster is much different ie Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, Bobby Roode, HHH. Booker T and Ron Simmons spinebuster were never called a sidewalk slam. If anything they are closer to the Alabama slam ie hardcore Holly.

On 8/20/2013 at 5:12 AM, RandomAct said:

You're Wrong! The sidewalk slam is a side slam because the person is to your side as you walk ie diesel/Nash regular moveset The spinebuster is much different ie Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, Bobby Roode, HHH. Booker T and Ron Simmons spinebuster were never called a sidewalk slam. If anything they are closer to the Alabama slam ie hardcore Holly.

On 8/21/2013 at 8:35 PM, BEN! said:

I blame Jim Ross and his "spine on the pine" for this.  Gotta have the pivot for it to be a spinebuster in my eyes.

Calling The Rock's shit version a spinebuster would make me cringe every single time. 

...and don't get me started on his over head belly to belly throw or sharpshooter, either

A properly executed overhead belly to belly suplex by Jason Jordan or Chad Gable being called an overhead throw by Michael Cole makes me weep on the inside. A throw would be The Rock's crap without his hands clasped around the waist.

• Like 2

A plancha is any body attack if I remember properly, so somersault plancha is right. A tope con giro would have you leading with the head and flipping through with it. Not really a big distinction to be honest.

Emerald Flowsion seems to be the proper nomenclature and is some weird made up word based on Misawa's color scheme. The Flowsion part is kind of a weird portmanteau, but is like a waterfall flowing. Emerald Flow+Explosion? Just a hunch.

All regular vertical suplexes in Japan being called brainbusters stems from the original brainbuster of like Killer Karl Cox being done that way and being made safer over time and the term just sticking to define it from the vertical dropping kind.

I've never heard "drag and screw leg whip" used since it's literally Dragon Screw Legwhip named after Tatsumi Fujinami.

Before anyone asks, springboard moves are called Swandive in Japan because of some announcer making it up.

Edit: This is an official app NOAH put out that's just a clock:
opening_misawa.png

Flowsion.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Calling The Rock's shit version a spinebuster would make me cringe every single time. 

...and don't get me started on his over head belly to belly throw or sharpshooter, either

A properly executed overhead belly to belly suplex by Jason Jordan or Chad Gable being called an overhead throw by Michael Cole makes me weep on the inside. A throw would be The Rock's crap without his hands clasped around the waist.

They're all called Front suplexes in Japan unless explicitly stated otherwise.

As far as moonsaults to the floor. Asai is generally just the middle rope version, but the name got adapted over time by any random announcer to mean the same thing. La Quebrada is another usage. Moonsault Plancha would be a generally acceptable term regardless I suspect.

On 8/19/2013 at 4:55 AM, Go2Sleep said:

Every wrestling fan gets an "achievement unlocked" when they correct someone on the usage of Air Raid Crash and Kryptonite Krunch.

They are slightly different, but it doesn't really matter at this point. I call them Air Raid Crash or Schwein for CIMA(Nova)'s version unless the person has their own name for it like Finlay or Sheamus.

5 hours ago, NotYourMark1 said:

The sidewalk slam is a side slam because the person is to your side as you walk ie diesel/Nash regular moveset The spinebuster is much different ie Arn Anderson, Ron Simmons, Bobby Roode, HHH. Booker T and Ron Simmons spinebuster were never called a sidewalk slam. If anything they are closer to the Alabama slam ie hardcore Holly.

Except that they WERE. Spend less time correcting people and more time watching old footage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Did... Did someone register just to bump a five year old thread and incorrectly correct a post?

---------------

Anyway, on a somewhat related note, I'll never forget the day I suddenly understood why they call the Atomic Drop a Manhattan Drop in Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1