DVDVR Message Board

RIP Dean Jones

odessasteps

Hell, kids in the 80s with VCRs or the Disney Channel grew up on those films.  Disney really embraced home video in the early 80s, dumping most of their live-action catalogue and classic cartoons on the market in those "giant clamshell" releases long before the other studios did.

RIP to the hotel owner in the Hawaiian episodes of Saved by the Bell.

I never really cared for Herbie, but I must've watched Blackbeard's Ghost and The Shaggy DA dozens of times as a kid. Looking at his IMDB, I don't remember him in Beethoven, and I really don't remember a Beethoven animated series where he voiced Charles Grodin's character. Ooh, and he was Col. Lane in an episode of Superman:TAS.

IIRC, Jones played the villain in the original "Beethoven", and a big deal was made in promoting the film about how Jones was finally playing the "bad guy" after decades of being the hero.

Back in the early 80s, when video stores were mom-and-pop operations that rented and sold a hodgepodge of anything, there was always that one store that had a section full of live-action Disney vids from the 60s and 70s.  And if you were of a certain age, Dean Jones Disney films were part of your routine on "weekend movie night" (Definitely at my home most Friday nights -- we'd watch a Dean Jones or similar "family" film at 7p then, after my sister and I went to bed, our parents would watch a "grownup" film.)

He was an amicable actor, a genial "everyman" who played the reluctant hero well, and did his best to stand out in films that ranged from mediocre to dreadful.