DVDVR Message Board

CMLL 82nd Anniversary Show

odessasteps

full card announced on Informa today. Good time to start a separate thread.

Edit

Esfgine/Panther/Fuego vs. Disturbio/Puma/Virus

Maximo/Guerrero Maya Jr./Stuka Jr. vs. Dragon Rojo/Polvora/Rey Escorpion

Dark Angel vs Princess Sugheit

Dragon lee, Valiente, Mistico vs Felino, Mr Niebla, Negro Casas

Volador Jr, LA Park Ultimo Guerrero vs Rush/Wagner/Thunder

Atlantis v Sombra

Let's all take a moment and be absolutely astonished that they didn't screw up to the point of adding Thunder and Guerrero to the main.

Though to be honest, CMLL's booking usually goes like this:

1.) The most mediocre thing possible

2.) Something vaguely idiotic. 

It's far more likely you get 1 than 2. 

The show will do well, though if the Friday shows are mostly walk up crowds, I wouldn't be surprised if it's noticeably less full this week.I It's a fucked up thing to do. I suspect the crowd will be as volatile as they were during the 80th anniversary show.  

No doubt - this crowd is going to be ANGRY. Even more so if Atlantis ends up losing.

As I said on twitter - CMLL should really shuffle the card to give fans their money's worth. Even just adding Rush vs Wagner & sticking Marco/Mascara in the six man to replace them. They won't do it because it's CMLL.

Gonna be super awkward this Friday when Super Parka/Volador come out in their Familia Real shirts but nobody can mention LA Park...

What staggers me (and I know it shouldn't) is that they aren't even trying to replace them with anything even vaguely interesting. Shift things around a bit. Put on another hair or mask match or at least a title match or an atomicos match or anything. But that's just now how they operate. The thought probably never even crossed their mind. That they thought to bring Park and Wagner in to begin with (for something other than to hype an indy show or a postage stamp or something) was far more a deviation. 

On the new Winter Palace podcast, Dr. Lucha Steve Sims (@drluchajr) returns to talk about his articles in the magazine: one about Negro Casas and one about Atlantis and the twilight of the his generation of luchadors. Then, we discuss the Anniversary show in detail: discussing every match and probable outcomes, including the mascara contra mascara match between Atlantis and La Sombra. Also, we talk the vagueries of CMLL booking, the state of the women's division post-Dark Angel, the dream trio of Casas, Hechicero and Cavenario, the futures of the Panthers Dynasty and Casas Family, what does a title mean in CMLL, the mess involving LA Park and Dr. Wagner, the economics of lucha and more.

Tinyurl.com/winterpod11

C n P

Thumbs up.

Best match: Atlantis vs Sombra

Worst: Maximo/et al vs Polvora/Dragon Rojo/Rey Escorpion

Almost all matches had good moments, even the mostly inconsequential ones. Good showing by Disturbio in opener. Young guys good, but Virus is great as cagey veteran. Second match was fine; told Maximo had great heat live. women's match was okay, but too slow paced and lost the crowd. May have better to have Dark Angel wrestle a ruda like Amapola or Zeuxis. Dragon Lee could've stole the show if the main event was not so good. Shame Niebla got a spot that could have gone to Cavernario or Hechicero. semi-main had good action, but a horrible finish. Main was great even if my prediction was wrong. Not quite the twilight of the 80s Luchadors, as Dr. lucha wrote in the lucha issue of our new magazine. Were they already setting up hair vs Mask with Rush and Atlantis for next year?

Almost no problems with the stream. Lost audio a couple times, but no video issues or buffering. Over 10,000 viewers on youtube, thought 9,000 or more likely did not pay. Certainly worth $10.