DVDVR Message Board

October 3rd MSG Special

ChesterCopperpot

MAJOR thumbs down on not opening the show with an updated version of the "WWF on MSG" intro from 1983-85.

Haven't been to a house show in 20 years, not a fan of the mini-Titan Tron, hope they eventually get rid of it and have guys go back to just wrestling under the house lights.

I go to a couple house shows a year. The set they use at actual non-televised shows is way smaller, and there is way less lighting.

Last night was low-key for TV. I liked it. WWE is generally too polished and over-produced for my taste. It wasn't perfect, but it was something different.

I watched the show earlier last night. i thought it was all right for a scaled down Monday Night RAW. I'm not a fan of having a mini tron set up at MSG. I'm a mark for the entrance they make out of the locker room flanked by the MSG security. That's the real MSG experience.

The matches were all right. The opener was what it was. I loved Rusev calling Sheamus a "stupid non-American". Why are we supposed to be rooting for Ziggler in all of this again?

The diva's match was so odd. Why is Paige still teaming with Charlotte and Becky? It was nice when they turned on her and we got that really weird Paige being all emotional thing after the match but it made no sense for them to be teaming up to begin with. I guess this is what happens when you send all the other women to the B show.

Dudley's/New Day was really fun. I hope they are building up to Xavier being put into a shark cage at HIAC. Xavier tooting SOS on the trombone while 30 feet up would be pretty damn amusing. I was honestly surprised The Dudley's didn't win. I could have seen them winning it hear and losing it back at the PPV.

Jericho/Owens was probably the best match on the card in my view. Random that they made it an anniversary thing but I loved seeing Don Callis at ringside. I forget where I saw it, but someone said "Jon Stewart is staring to look like that homeless vietnam vet that works at the soupkitchen". Lance Storm pulls off a suit very well. It's too bad Owens didn't come out in a Islander's jersey for some hate from the crowd after Jericho praised his dad being a Ranger. I love that Owens does heel things to win. It's such a novel concept for a bad guy to cheat to win.

Lesnar/Big Show was some fun clubbering. Show really looked like he was in pain taking all those suplexes on his right arm/shoulder. I really hope the next network special they do and if it has a Brock match, they do one that hasn't been done before. Just give us Brock/Cesaro or Brock/Owens. I think those would be really outstanding matches to watch.

The cage match was what it was. It's amazing how much they job out Rollins as world champion. This should have been a cage match for thr world title so Rollins could have at least gotten a cheap win before getting destroyed by Kane. I hate bloodless cage matches though. They should just bring back the big iron blue bar cages. Almost no one ever bled in those. Overall it was a good show. Felt like a condensed version of RAW which wouldnt be so bad on Mondays.

The diva's match was so odd. Why is Paige still teaming with Charlotte and Becky? It was nice when they turned on her and we got that really weird Paige being all emotional thing after the match but it made no sense for them to be teaming up to begin with. I guess this is what happens when you send all the other women to the B show.

I think the logic is that there has been essentially in-fighting between Team PCB, but they hadn't really broken up yet, just trying to work shit out.  (It would help if the announcers said something to this effect or that they had "settled their differences" since RAW.  I'm assuming MSG was the actual break up of the team.

Thing that absolutely infuriated me for no reason at all - Paige being more worried about adjusting her top in the Rack Attack than selling the move. Looked shit.

So here, Paige adjusted her top because she knew she couldn't escape and didn't want to suffer a Rack Attack AND the embarrassment of a wardrobe malfunction as well. #noprize

In the old days they'd have said she was fulfilling "contractual obligations". I remember Savage wrestled a couple of house shows after he lost his retirement match to Warrior and that's how they sold it.

I enjoyed it. Wasnt expecting much but it was what it was.

Not a big fan of the Dudleys but them showing they cared about the tag titles and being disgusted they weren't champs again is something that I liked and is missing in WWE nowadays.

New Day are hilarious, i think the writers messed up by not having the New Day lay out the Dudleys in their backyard but what can ya do.

I thought Lesnar had lost a bit of his aura with back to back "losses" on PPV but after this its definitely back. What an athlete! And fair play to Show for taking the hits.

Rollins needs to lose the title asap and be built back up or repackaged or something,the title means nothing with him wearing it. People were giving out last year that Lesnar was champ and not around, the booking of Seth this year hurts the title way worse than that.

Which leads me to who could actually replace him as champ;

Lesnar- doesn't need it

Cena- same, and has the US title to "elevate"

Reigns- maybe? But makes more sense for him to win it at Mania.

Orton,Sheamus,Ziggler-?

In the old days they'd have said she was fulfilling "contractual obligations". I remember Savage wrestled a couple of house shows after he lost his retirement match to Warrior and that's how they sold it.

Are any of those on video? It might be interesting to see those. But yeah, anything would have explained it. "Well, I signed a contract and since I am a professional I will team with these two...". Paige could have made something like that work in her snarky tone.

With Rollins circling the drain the last couple of months, it really highlights how bad of a decision it was to give Sheamus MITB. Literally everyone else in that match would've been a better choice, including Bray Wyatt who wasn't officially a participant.

Neville - Not a great choice this early, but he can work and pops the crowd occasionally and would be undeniably fresh.

Orton - Very uninspiring choice, but he's always credible and always over.

Roman - Made sense at the time and is the only upper midcarder booked like he's ready to take the next step.

Kofi - New Day is red-hot right now and would be fine with a run in the Summer Slam to Rumble doldrums.

Kane - Would also be uninspiring, but his split personality gimmick is catching on and the case would fit right into the current feud.

Ziggler - His window's probably closed, but you might be able to get something going with him and Summer as a new power couple.

Bray - The Wyatt Family gimmick appears to have lasting power and it's credible main event character just about any time.