DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Watched Life in Pieces during lunch.  Ugh.  Great cast, but I felt like the pilot was a mess.  Didn't laugh once.  The show is "high concept".  That might be code for "not workable".  Basically, instead of an A and B story like a traditional sitcom, the story consisted of four vignettes starring different members of the same extended family.  The vignettes aren't connected, so there's not really any continuity or progression once a commercial break hits.  The pilot was basically four separate slices of life, with only the last segment seeming to go anywhere.  The show has a large cast and most characters only had one six minute segment to make an impact, so I really didn't feel like any of the characters got developed or made much of an impact.

The show lost me two minutes in, when one of the characters takes a guy to her place - and her ex-fiancé is sitting on the couch.  Seems the ex-couple co-own the place and neither party can afford to buy out the other, so they still live together.  It's the sort of absurd situation that would never happen in real life, just the imaginations of bad screenwriters who think it could happen in real life (not their lives, of course, but someone's).

Worse, it wasn't even remotely funny.  I had the same reaction to the casket scene at the end.

It's only Tuesday, but I already have a couple candidates for "first show deleted from the DVR".

The newest Rick and Morty might have been the weakest episode of the series, but if your weakest episode includes guest star Werner Herzog as an alien civil rights leader performing a monologue about mankind's obsession with penises, then you are doing something right.

• Like 2

The newest Rick and Morty might have been the weakest episode of the series, but if your weakest episode includes guest star Werner Herzog as an alien civil rights leader performing a monologue about mankind's obsession with penises, then you are doing something right.

Agreed. Werner was the highlight of an otherwise less than average episode.

I watched about 25 minutes of Scream Queens before deleting it off my dvr. Jesus was that thing awful.

I actually enjoyed it more than I expected. It's just balls to the walls camp nonsense and I'm here for it. My new guilty pleasure show, if they can maintain the momentum. 

Eh, Bastard Executioner isn't doing it for me yet. I think it's trying to do way too much without giving us a reason to care about the characters. So far there's Wilkin and his guys' revenge arc, the Welsh rebellion plot line, Milus the Chamberlain banging everything that moves and clearly plotting to take power, Gemma the Witch and Big Otto the Burned Guy doing weird magic stuff, the dead executioner's wife going along with Wilkin's deception and Wilkin seeing ghosts. That's a lot of stuff to introduce in two episodes (albeit long ones) without taking the time to get us invested in the characters.

Scream Queens was okay. Nasim Pedrad and Lea Michele were the MVPs for me. There are a lot of performances hitting the exact same note. I don't know if I'll stick around for the season yet.

I thought Emma Roberts was the stand out, personally. I can't say whether she's truly a great actress, but no one else plays the "alpha bitch" role any better. 

I did think the girl surviving long enough to hit "send" so she could successfully live-tweet her own murder was frigging hilarious. 

Didn't enjoy Scream Queens as much as I expected, but it was good enough that I'm in for at least a while.  Kinda enjoy the over-the-top sensibility and lots of campy/funny bits we lol'ed at even if the whole doesn't live up to some of the parts.  Scream did a better job of drawing its characters. Don't really care at all about Skyler Samuels character, even though she seems positioned as the heroine.

The bit with the killer texting his victim would have been funnier to me if I could have read the texts.  The texts on the phone were too small for me to read.  Took me a minute to realize the two of them were texting each other.

Minority Report was very good.  I've never seen the movie and didn't expect much going in, but I'm really interested to see where it goes.  Probably the best show from the first two nights of the season.

Don't really care at all about Skyler Samuels character, even though she seems positioned as the heroine.

I think they're setting her up to either get murdered soon or be the killer. She's just a bit too obviously the final girl and it feels like a big twist is coming. 

Scream Queens was great until I realized that the Waterfalls scene was a 20 years ago flashback and not something that happens at parties now like I thought for the first 45 minutes of the show.  

Then I wanted to kill myself.

On @Midnight wrestling just came up again, because Ron Funches. He threw up a Too Sweet to his fellow Bullet Club members the Bucks (yes, he actually said "the Bullet Club", and "Nick and Matt Jackson"), they showed the Rockers rapping, had a ridiculous promo by some toothless dude that I believe Funches identified but I didn't catch it, and an intro from NWA Mountain State which was the most indie thing ever including two guys that were clearly two yarders in t-shirts and a "luchador" as skinny as Cheeseburger. I laughed like a maniac.

On @Midnight wrestling just came up again, because Ron Funches. He threw up a Too Sweet to his fellow Bullet Club members the Bucks (yes, he actually said "the Bullet Club", and "Nick and Matt Jackson"), they showed the Rockers rapping, had a ridiculous promo by some toothless dude that I believe Funches identified but I didn't catch it, and an intro from NWA Mountain State which was the most indie thing ever including two guys that were clearly two yarders in t-shirts and a "luchador" as skinny as Cheeseburger. I laughed like a maniac.

That Young Bucks clip was great

For those of you who missed it last week, AMC now wants to be like the El Rey Network.

Last Friday night was the debut of KUNG FU FRIDAYS~! Kinda misleading since some of the films featured are HK bullet operas, not martial arts movies.

This week's installment features The Man From Nowhere and Let The Bullets Fly.

All of this will lead up to the series premier of INTO THE BADLANDS~!  which premiers in November.