DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, Graceland is now officially to cop shows what Suits is to law firms.  I love the drama and characters but there is no way that those people should be getting away with what they do.

Briggs started a gang war between a Mexican street gang and an Armenian arms dealer to trick the head of the weapons cartel to try to get revenge by releasing a fake nerve agent in East LA so that Briggs could get Homeland Security bust the guy on terrorism charges instead of Briggs going up the river with the Armenians if the FBI got the collar.. Riiiiiiight....

My head hurts just trying to read that.  And I watched Graceland this season.

My head hurts wrapping it around that convoluted plan.   Briggs is equal parts Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, and the Punisher.  Brilliant, calculating, ruthless, and apparently answers to no one.  How much of a douche do you have to be to use Mike's near death experience as a tool of manipulation?

[joker voice] It's all part of the plan..[/joker voice]

Viva La Madness, JJ Connaly's second novel and follow up to Layer Cake (made into an awesome movie starring Daniel Craig) is going to be turned into a television series and Jason Statham appears to have been cast in the role of xxx aka the cocaine dealer with no name who was the anti-hero / protagonists of Layer Cake.

Explains why he had to turn down the role of Bullseye on the Netflix series, Daredevil.

Viva La Madness, JJ Connaly's second novel and follow up to Layer Cake (made into an awesome movie starring Daniel Craig) is going to be turned into a television series and Jason Statham appears to have been cast in the role of xxx aka the cocaine dealer with no name who was the anti-hero / protagonists of Layer Cake.

Explains why he had to turn down the role of Bullseye on the Netflix series, Daredevil.

Aw man there had been rumors circling for a few years that Craig and the cast of Layer Cake were going to reunite for Viva... Statham is one of my least favorite action guys so this is disheartening news.

James

This season of Ray Donovan has been awesome, with Bunchy Brendan growing up and marrying a luchadora and Hank Azaria's Ed Cochran unexpectedly coming back.

Seconded. There have been a few dull moments (mostly Abby, Armenian, or Katie Holmes related but nothing offensive), but we're getting great performances from Liev, Eddie Marsan, and Dash Mihok. Mostly importantly, Ian McShane, Jon Voight, and especially Hank Azaria have been king sized.

You gotta love McShane pulling the Al out for a brief moment with the sarcastic "Tell them I'm indisposed" on the last episode.

They are making the most out of a show that could be very corny and predictable.

• Like 1

Anyone else watch Moonbeam City? It wants to be Archer so bad, but its just not. . . 

I pretty much said "If it's on Hulu the next day, I'll watch it, if it isn't I won't." (It isn't) The trailer basically made it feel like the Nagel-esque art was pretty much all it had going for it.

Oh god, I had forgotten how far off the rails My Name is Earl goes after the second season.  I don't mind the prison stuff, but everything with Alyssa Milano is really bad.

Basically all I remember about post-season-2 Earl is that the final ep included Burt Reynolds and Norm MacDonald playing father and son and it wasn't half as funny in real life as I expected.

If you're not watching the Emmies, it's kind of crazy how orange/tanned everyone looks, like everyone is the same color.  I don't know if it's the makeup person or the lighting, or the spray-tanning but Terence Howard and Seth Myers are the same color.  Rob Lowe and Kerry Washington are the same color.  Maggie Gyllenhall and Liev Schreiber look like they're wearing the same motion capture skin suit.

It's maybe kind of beautiful as a metaphor...or maybe an attempt to prove to the Galactic Federation that we have transcended ethnicity.

Until...John Oliver shows up as pale as can be.  It's amazing how his paleness is beyond any tampering...any fixing..beyond the powers of the entire television-industrial complex.

EMMY UPDATE: Jaimie Alexander, is wearing the greatest outfit I've ever literally seen in my literal life.

jaimie_alexander_peter_facinelli_emmys_2

It looks like you don't put this on, but you rub a crystal orb and it just sort of grows on your skin and then you turn a small dial and it shifts color until you are happy with it. 

Also I'm just now learning that this is the person in that fake Jason Bourne show that may be a show or just a bunch of commercials for a show that isn't real but just testing to see how asleep we all are.

• Like 1

I just learned from Emmys that Emma Roberts is in SCREAM QUEENS which means I'm now per-ordering the Blu-Ray steelbook of SCREAM QUEENS.

I'm just wondering if there is any way Jaimie Alexander can quit that other show and be in it too.  And John Oliver and Peter Dinklage.  Why can't everyone I like be in the one show?

EMMY UPDATE: Jaimie Alexander, is wearing the greatest outfit I've ever literally seen in my literal life.

jaimie_alexander_peter_facinelli_emmys_2

It looks like you don't put this on, but you rub a crystal orb and it just sort of grows on your skin and then you turn a small dial and it shifts color until you are happy with it.

Also I'm just now learning that this is the person in that fake Jason Bourne show that may be a show or just a bunch of commercials for a show that isn't real but just testing to see how asleep we all are.

That's not even her best dress ever. Google her at the Thor premier.