DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

Me watching the Backstrom pilot.

"What, so this is basically House, only if House were a cop? How unoriginal.."

An hour later.

"Oh my God, this is basically House, only if House were a cop. This is amazing!"

Enjoy it, it only lasted the one season. Thankfully the last episode of the season works as a final episode. The show is fucking boss.

Yeah, it's very cliched and not really anything new but Wilson makes it work.  He's very, very good.

Like, within about two minutes I forgot about Dwight.

I'm still bummed about the cancellation.  I thought it had some lowkey solid depth to it, at least in the relationships the characters had with each other.

Just noticed the new season of Drunk History is on.  In a wrestling related bit, the first ep of the season is on New Jersey and they visit the Create-a-Pro school which I think is Brian Myers and Pat Buck's school for PWS.  I saw Myers and Mario Bokara in the segment.

Finished "How to Get Away With Murder" earlier.  Loved it.  Wife and I watched the pilot when it first aired, liked it but weren't quite hooked, and paid no attention to the show for the rest of the year.  So we started marathoning it last week. 

Really dug it.  It starts a little slow, but the last five eps had us glued to the TV.  And that finale.  I'm a little leery of them dragging out the central mystery another season, but I'm so curious to see what comes next, I don't care that much.  They found a interesting way to spin the story off in a new direction without quite ending the first storyline.

They really do need to make the supporting cast interesting, though.  The show had a tendency to lag when the law students are front and center and Viola Davis is off-screen.  They did a good job giving the supporting cast personality traits and stories of their own, but they still aren't that interesting to me.

Somehow, we managed to avoid spoilers so they were some WTF? moments for us.  I was stunned when Viola Davis removed her wig (and most of the rest of her face, really).

I am bummed that Rebecca was killed off even though she was a loose cannon that needed to be silenced, but I am interested to see what they do with Wesley Gibbins, Master Criminal in the upcoming season of How To Get Away With Murder.

For anyone watching Colbert:

Every time I watch a show on CBS, which is rare, because I mean...damn...but there is this metallic sound mixed into the laugh track (I think they're spicing up the laughs even on Colbert because it's there now).  It drives me crazy when I watch a banal sitcom or something because it sounds like a Futurama robot is in the audience and has a terrible sense of humor and laughs uproariously at the worst jokes.

And then I start to kind of enjoy that thought and all I really care about is listening to that robot laugh at terrible sitcom jokes.

I'm just wondering if anyone else hears this.  It's been there for years and only on CBS.

Anyone????? 

I couldn't agree more.

The opening monologue basically had me thinking Oh God he's going to tone it down and just try to be average late night host #5 or whatever.

As soon as he got behind that desk, all was back to to his glorious normal.

Did I miss any posts about Documentary Now on IFC? It's really friggin' great. Incredibly accurate documentary parodies put together by Seth Myers, Fred Armisen and Bill Hader. They spoof Vice in the first one and it's gold. Bill Hader deserves all the awards for the spoof of Grey Gardens.

Colbert talking to Biden about losing relatives tonight was pretty brutal. You could see him well up on at least one occasion.

...and then, for some reason, Toby Keith came on and ripped off Jimmy Buffett, which is like the worst thing in the world. I muted it and started listening to this. 

Noise Not Buffett

Someone needs to tell me, right now, when Narcos Season 2 will start filming and when it's going to air, damnit. One of the best original shows that Netflix has, I think. Wow and damn, sped through it in a day and a half and it's awesome. Not really knowing the story of Pablo all that well, I thought for sure the last episode would be the climax and this is actually a mini-series. I need more, this show is like cocaine!

Oh, and I finished Blacklist S2 a few days ago and that was a rollercoaster ride too, from the last handful of episodes to the season finale. Thank god it returns in a few weeks, that fucking ending~!

Pretty much the only time Chris Ryan's enthusiasm has compelled me to watch a show. NARCOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!

I dunno. I watched two episodes and didn't think it was an especially good show, but it seemed very watchable. It clips along at a very Scorcese-esque pace. I'll probably watch more at some point.

I think the major problem is that the lead gringo. It's like that role was intended for Joel Kinneman, and when he said no, they were just like, "Eh, just find us someone who looks like Joel Kinneman."

Really, Pedro Pascal should be the lead. The Red Viper swag is still strong with him.

• Like 1

I just finished part one of the PBS American Experience doc on Walt Disney. It's tremendous and a must see. Don't pass this up, if part two is as amazing as tonight's, this is gonna be an actual important work of film about one of the most influential persons of American history, warts and all.

Pretty much the only time Chris Ryan's enthusiasm has compelled me to watch a show. NARCOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!

Chris Ryan's Strike Back on Cinemax is fucking awesome.

Speaking of which, I may have to start watching Blindspot on NBC since Sullivan Stapleton (Damian Scott) plays the mystery girl's handler, Kurt Weller.