DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 TV THREAD

RIPPA

There are actually a bunch of things I am actually interested in debuting this month.

I am sure I will watch none of them but at least I am interested in shows.

It hasn't been that way the last few seasons with debuts

The only new thing I started watching is Fear the Walking Dead, but I suspect that has its own thread.

Other TV thoughts: I've finally completely tired of the Naked and Afraid formula, even the XL addition. I also think my girlfriend has managed to DVR and watch every tiny house show so I should have a short reprieve.

How does Rick and Morty continually get better? It's like they do the best episode they've done yet and keep on one upping themselves. Remarkable. Everything in Summer's plot was hilarious and terrifying and yet the A-plot was still better somehow. 

• Like 1

I am officially out of Rick and Morty on Hulu. Will buy Season 2 on Amazon or something after the post-Dragon Con lean days have passed.

After finishing up True Blood season 3, instead of any of the other things I talked about I'm now watching season 2 of Jeeves and Wooster.  Things that ITV would have the sense not to air today: Hugh Laurie in blackface.

- CBS cancelled Under the Dome

Mercy killing.  The novel has the dumbest ending which makes me dread the series finale.

They've gone so far away from the novel that I can't think they'd even try to adapt the book ending.  At this point, the only similarity to King's novel is the basic setup and a couple characters.

Mercy killing.  The novel has the dumbest ending which makes me dread the series finale.

I've never read a KIng book, not a horror fan(okay I started the Dark Tower series, but it annoyed me), but doesn't he have a reputation for shitty endings to books?

I've been burning through Banshee & Strike Back the last few days after seeing praise for them here. Gone through all three seasons of Banshee. Its a fun show and kind of impressive in how they manage at least solid brutal fight every episode. I enjoy most of the characters even though I find I really should not be rooting for them at all the vast majority of the time. I have to say though that Nola felt pretty wasted since they never went in depth on her background before her MK style death. Strike Back is a bit more simple, but also good fun. I'm early into the third season, and generally like what I see though I wasn't big on how Rebecca died as it felt a bit random. I was pleased to see Charles Dance in S2 though based on the few things I've watched him in it was weird not feeling the strong presence I've felt from him in past roles.

You just described almost every King novel.  You need to be more specific than that.

I had Under the Dome pegged for cancellation after last season but, apparently, it was kept afloat by Amazon Prime Instant rights fees.  This season just seems so off the cuff and shitty that the writers probably thought so, too.  "We got renewed???  Oh shit."

Re: Banshee -- it's an awesome show.  This next season is going to be its last but I bet it'll be a crazy sendoff.

Ray Donovan got renewed for season 4.  I think season 3 is really good despite changing show runners.  The new show creators managed to keep the "nothing ever works out for anybody/one step forward, two steps back" aesthetic going.

It's a bummer that the Coach revival got canceled cause I was looking forward to it. I've been binge watching the original series because it's going off netflix on the 15th. Up to the beginning of Season 7 and it's still funny. The Orlando arch is starting so I'm figuring it will jump the shark then. Luther and Dauber rule.

There's going to be a Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn update that's a procedural because CBS.

But Twain wrote Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn detective stories didn't he?

James

Tom Sawyer, Detective. If it wasn't contemporary I'd mind it less I suppose. I just feel like it's going to be Simon and Simon with an occasional fence painting joke.

So between comics blogger Paul O'Brien starting a series (on watching children's TV as a new parent) with a post about the stuff he watched on the BBC in the 70s, and Laser Time going on a tangent about early Nickelodeon, I've found myself reading up on the various shorts that made up Pinwheel when I was little. It's really surreal to spend 20 years on the internet seeing Britons reminisce about Magic Roundabout and only now discovering I'd seen most of them but only knew it as "the stop-motion thing with the cow and the dog and the jack-in-the-box named Zebedee."

EDITED for punctuation.

Me watching the Backstrom pilot.

"What, so this is basically House, only if House were a cop? How unoriginal.."

An hour later.

"Oh my God, this is basically House, only if House were a cop. This is amazing!"

Enjoy it, it only lasted the one season. Thankfully the last episode of the season works as a final episode. The show is fucking boss.

• Like 1

There's going to be a Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn update that's a procedural because CBS.

James

Tom Sawyer, Detective. If it wasn't contemporary I'd mind it less I suppose. I just feel like it's going to be Simon and Simon with an occasional fence painting joke.

I presume Big Jim will be the long suffering police chief.

James

I thought he was a member of the Secret Service?

Me watching the Backstrom pilot.

"What, so this is basically House, only if House were a cop? How unoriginal.."

An hour later.

"Oh my God, this is basically House, only if House were a cop. This is amazing!"

Enjoy it, it only lasted the one season. Thankfully the last episode of the season works as a final episode. The show is fucking boss.

Yeah, it's very cliched and not really anything new but Wilson makes it work.  He's very, very good.

Like, within about two minutes I forgot about Dwight.

So I've re-watched some episodes of Banshee and I think the writing is really good since the show makes you care about characters that are pretty awful people. The only good character I can think of is Emmit. Maybe Amiee, but she didn't get a lot of development. Everyone else has their fair share of dirt going one.

Anybody watching 'The Carmichael Show'?  I'm kinda really starting to like it. It's not 100% yet (A couple of the actors need to be reigned in a little bit, and it's very talk-y) but it's really fascinating to see a major network sitcom tackle issues like voting, gender/transgender roles, and, most effectively thus far, institutionalized racism in America, even discussing Black Lives Matter and police brutality, but all in a way that never really feels heavy-handed but more like a family sitting around talking about these things the way families do and still being funny. I hope it gets a chance to get where I feel like it's going and not get canceled before it gets its legs under it because I feel like it could become a very good, very important show.