DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

Terminator's interesting since most of the franchise is basically leeching off of the first two great movies.

The third movie was good, but not great.

The fourth one was OK, but nothing else.

Sarah Connor Chronicles started out well, but just fell apart in the second season.

Take away Arnie and James Cameron, and really, all you're left with is a patchy, complicated time-travel plot and a rather bland hero (John Connor) .

I'm hoping this new reboot will have the cyberpunk feeling the first movie did, bring back Reese, and avoid jumping into the future and being Mad Max: the TV show. I could dig a show set in the '80s with Reese and Sarah trying to stop the Apocalypse.

Second season was way, way, way better than the first, and definitely did not fall apart in any way.

Linda Hamilton is a huge part of the reason the first two work so well.

I thought Friedman totally lost the plot in season 2. What was the deal with the "three dots" thing anyway? And why were the writers so obsessed with it?

Not to mention, heading into final episodes he knew fine well they were getting cancelled and still insisted on ending in a cliffhanger and not everything any resolution to anything whatsoever.

Less said about Shirley Manson's attempts at acting the better.

Linda Hamilton was great though. I liked Lena Headey too.

Guys they went with the fanfic idea that the T-1000 fucked Skynet off and were preparing to join the humans. That deserved a god damned third season in and of itself.

The problem the second series had was that the first was cut up by the Writer's Strike so it had to be all rejigged and shit.

And this:

Owned. Goddamn it Terminator is the best franchise ever.

• Like 2

I did - I must have missed it.

But in my defense - they try to put 94016589 things in the Spiderman trailer. OH MORE SPIDEY SPINNING IN SLOW MO!!! THAT ONLY HAPPENED 6 TIMES!!!

I haaaaaated Terminator Salvation. I was really bored by it, but when I thought about the logistics, I wanted to never see it again. It's like the writer and director have no knowledge of radioactivity AT ALL. For starters, Skynet nukes military installations and cities. A small nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India means game over for our planet. Like, billions of fucking people dead from starvation due to nuclear winter. In Salvation, it felt like it was always sunny. It was just too damn bright. I could buy people living underground and what not, but there's not even one bit about how these people are surviving threats that extend beyond Skynet.

Second, early in the movie, that silo gets nuked and everyone is just standing outside of it like everything is all kool and the gang. Any antiquated electronic device would have shut down, which would also mean that later on, not one goddamn person is listening to Rooster by Alice in Chains.

The Sam Worthington reveal was beyond obvious.

Why would Skynet not have nuked submarines? More over, how are those fucking people surviving that long without going into dry dock?

I would have been fine with Terminator Salvation if it were called Command and Conquer and it aired on SyFy. Instead, it nearly fucked the franchise worse than Rocky 5. 

• Like 1

I haaaaaated Terminator Salvation. I was really bored by it, but when I thought about the logistics, I wanted to never see it again. It's like the writer and director have no knowledge of radioactivity AT ALL. For starters, Skynet nukes military installations and cities. A small nuclear exchange between Pakistan and India means game over for our planet. Like, billions of fucking people dead from starvation due to nuclear winter. In Salvation, it felt like it was always sunny. It was just too damn bright. I could buy people living underground and what not, but there's not even one bit about how these people are surviving threats that extend beyond Skynet.

Second, early in the movie, that silo gets nuked and everyone is just standing outside of it like everything is all kool and the gang. Any antiquated electronic device would have shut down, which would also mean that later on, not one goddamn person is listening to Rooster by Alice in Chains.

The Sam Worthington reveal was beyond obvious.

Why would Skynet not have nuked submarines? More over, how are those fucking people surviving that long without going into dry dock?

I would have been fine with Terminator Salvation if it were called Command and Conquer and it aired on SyFy. Instead, it nearly fucked the franchise worse than Rocky 5. 

I feel like you've gone way off the deep end at just taking everything you see at face value. Here's a start: a mushroom cloud is not exclusively a nuclear phenomenon.