DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

I suppose this is the right thread to drop this in. It's a fan-film released a couple of months ago, made for a budget of "way under £10K". I just stumbled across it while looking for work by the comics artist Greg Staples, who it turns out is the guy playing Dredd at the start. This is fucking tremendous. Judge Minty.

I don't remember if this was posted on the old board or just showed up when the board crashed

50 Cent as Computer/Tech Expert is... yeah... And supposedly Vinnie Jones is in the movie but if he was in the trailer, I missed him

Deadline is reporting that Sacha Baron Cohen will no longer be playing Freddie Mercury in the Freddie Mercury biopic.

Apparently Cohen wanted to make an R rated film while the surviving members of Queen wanted it to be PG so Cohen finally got fed up and bailed because he "couldn't make the film he wanted to"

The first press conference for the 2013 Toronto Film Festival is ongoing.

They've got 12 Years A Slave, The Fifth Estate, Gravity, and Mandela: Long Walk To Freedom.  The first two will be world premieres.

As for stuff that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet: August Osage County, Labor Day, Devil's Knot, Bad Words, Third Person, Can A Song Save Your Life?, and Dallas Buyers Club.  I'm going through IMDB checking those out.  Some look more interesting than others. 

And the closing night film is something called Life of Crime, starring John Hawkes, Mos Def, and Jennifer Aniston.  Looks like this is on IMDB as "Untitled Elmore Leonard Project".

As for stuff that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet: August Osage County, Labor Day, Devil's Knot, Bad Words, Third Person, Can A Song Save Your Life?, and Dallas Buyers Club.  I'm going through IMDB checking those out.  Some look more interesting than others. 

I remember watching the trailer for August Osage County... just no memory if I had posted it on the old board or not

Will try not to do a million posts about this, but here's some more stuff they'll be showing:

All Is By My Side - Jimi Hendrix biopic, with Andre 3000 in the lead role

Under The Skin - This sounds exactly like Species.  Starring Scarlett Johansson, and directed by the guy who did Sexy Beast.

Enough Said - One of Gandolfini's last movies, a comedy with Toni Collette.

Felony - Joel Edgerton wrote this & stars in it.  About a cop who's partially responsible for a fatal traffic accident and tries to cover it up.  The Square was awesome so I'll try to see this.

Prisoners - There was a trailer for this on the old board.  About the disappearance of 2 young girls, starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Hugh Jackman, by the director of Incendies.

REAL - Japanese movie, by the guy who directed Tokyo Sonata, about a man who uses an advanced neurological technology to enter the mind of his comatose lover.

There's a lot more.  If nothing else, all those foreign movies I've been watching for the world cup project have made a whole lot of names more familiar to me.

Deadline is reporting that Sacha Baron Cohen will no longer be playing Freddie Mercury in the Freddie Mercury biopic.

Apparently Cohen wanted to make an R rated film while the surviving members of Queen wanted it to be PG so Cohen finally got fed up and bailed because he "couldn't make the film he wanted to"

I'm a little bit scared about what kind of movie he was imagining. Maybe, SBC wanted it to cover Freddie's life beyond Live Aid also.

I would rather see Rush (or Runner, Runner) than Prisoners if I could only see one film in late September/early October. Anthony Dod Mantle's cinematography is more intriguing than Hugh Jackman going award hunting. The trailer just makes it look insufferable.

Oh that's right - I knew there was something I had to post regarding The Butler (or whatever it's new name will be)

The Weinstein Company has been told to change the title of its forthcoming historical drama The Butler.

Warner Bros won a rights claim over the name from the Motion Picture Association of America's Title Registration Bureau for its silent comedy short of the same title released in 1917.

According to Deadline, TWC has hired a top lawyer to appeal the decision.

In a statement, the company said: "The suggestion that there is a danger of confusion between TWC's 2013 feature movie and a 1917 short that has not been shown in theaters, television, DVDs, or in any other way for almost a century makes no sense.

"The award has no purpose except to restrict competition and is contrary to public policy."

Forest Whitaker leads the movie, based on a true story of a butler who serves the White House over eight presidencies.

Jane Fonda, Oprah Winfrey, Robin Williams and Alan Rickman also star in the movie which recently had its release date moved forward in the US from October to August, although no release date in the UK has been set.

It is alleged that Warner Bros's motives for the battle stem from a similar challenge between the two companies over The Good Lie name.

The film will now be called Lee Daniels' The Butler.

He was pretty much the only person for that role that won't require a shitload of makeup. They better find the dude from A Prophet and teach him how to sound like Freddie Mercury.

• Like 1

They could bring Freddie Mercury back from the dead and it wouldn't help that movie if they're going to make it PG.  

I agree, but the odds were going to be slim no matter what the rating was going to be. From Days of Our Lives documentary, you can tell there is a few elements of Freddie Mercury's life that the band and perhaps his family don't want out there. I'm not saying they have to make stuff up as Hollywood tends to do just to tell a story (ex. What's Love Got to Do with It, Mommie Dearest), but I doubt anyone really wants to see a live action Wikipedia entry. That's what it sounded like they were doing BEFORE Sacha Baron Cohen left and the story came out last night. Basically, it would the first half of the documentary without Freddie looking like a skeleton shooting his last music video with Queen at the end.

So yeah... this about a 1000 times worse than anything in any horror movie ever.

God Bless

I am probably going to puke or cry during this movie.  Maybe both.

We seem to be getting all of the Thanksgiving trailers now.  Jack Ryan doesn't come out until Christmas that trailer may be attacked to the Thanksgiving releases.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/24/rocky-spinoff-to-star-michael-b-jordan-as-the-grandson-of-apollo-creed-stallone-to-appear-too/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I present CREED!!!!!!!

I'm may be in the minority here, but I always thought that Apollo Creed was as good of a character, if not better, than Rocky. 

• Like 3

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/24/rocky-spinoff-to-star-michael-b-jordan-as-the-grandson-of-apollo-creed-stallone-to-appear-too/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I present CREED!!!!!!!

I'm may be in the minority here, but I always thought that Apollo Creed was as good of a character, if not better, than Rocky. 

This is incredibly exciting.  I have SOME reservations about a movie in the Rocky timeline that isn't all Stallone's vision, but the potential for this is extremely high.

Wallace being a movie star pretty boy will never cease to amaze me.

Seriously, he may end up being the biggest star from the entire show if things keep going this way.  I thought he was barely passable as Wallace, but he has actually turned into a really good young actor.

I enjoy the 47 Ronin story in all of the formats it has been presented.  Whether comics, prose fiction, nonfiction, animation, etc.... I am not sure how I feel about Samurai Whooooaaaa and 47 Other Dudes

The Creed movie sounds promising.  This time we may see Rocky as "Mickey"  type mentor