DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

At leas 12 Years doesn't seem to be pandering, unlike The Butler.  That one is liable to have punching puppies over its seeming condescending attitude.

I think it is a story that needs to be told, but yeah it is a bit too honey dipped for me.

Casting Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan was fucking brilliant.  I cannot wait for the Fox News hate commentary!

• Like 1

Casting Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan was fucking brilliant.  I cannot wait for the Fox News hate commentary!

I hadn't even heard of this one but looking it up, and that is some crazy casting:

-Minka Kelly as Jackie O.?!

-James Marsden as JFK?!?

-John Cusack as Nixon?!?!?!?

-Robin Williams as Eisenhower!?!?!?!?!

I'm picturing Eisenhower hopping all over the Oval Office, gleefully slipping from one impression to the next.

Oh that's right - I knew there was something I had to post regarding The Butler (or whatever it's new name will be)

The Weinstein Company has been told to change the title of its forthcoming historical drama The Butler.

Warner Bros won a rights claim over the name from the Motion Picture Association of America's Title Registration Bureau for its silent comedy short of the same title released in 1917.

According to Deadline, TWC has hired a top lawyer to appeal the decision.

In a statement, the company said: "The suggestion that there is a danger of confusion between TWC's 2013 feature movie and a 1917 short that has not been shown in theaters, television, DVDs, or in any other way for almost a century makes no sense.

"The award has no purpose except to restrict competition and is contrary to public policy."

Forest Whitaker leads the movie, based on a true story of a butler who serves the White House over eight presidencies.

Jane Fonda, Oprah Winfrey, Robin Williams and Alan Rickman also star in the movie which recently had its release date moved forward in the US from October to August, although no release date in the UK has been set.

It is alleged that Warner Bros's motives for the battle stem from a similar challenge between the two companies over The Good Lie name.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, DC Entertainment's president, Diane Nelson said:

THR: If it were up to you, what five characters or titles would you like to see on the screen?

Nelson: Sandman is right on top. I think it could be as rich as the Harry Potter universe. Fables. Metal Men. Justice League. And yes, I'm going to say it: Aquaman.

On Wonder Woman:

THR: There have been a few attempts at bringing Wonder Woman to the screen -- the Joss Whedon feature that was canceled in 2007, David E. Kelley's 2011 TV pilot -- but nothing has stuck.

Nelson: We have to get her right, we have to. She is such an icon for both genders and all ages and for people who love the original TV show and people who read the comics now. I think one of the biggest challenges at the company is getting that right on any size screen. The reasons why are probably pretty subjective: She doesn't have the single, clear, compelling story that everyone knows and recognizes. There are lots of facets to Wonder Woman, and I think the key is, how do you get the right facet for that right medium? What you do in TV has to be different than what you do in features. She has been, since I started, one of the top three priorities for DC and for Warner Bros. We are still trying right now, but she's tricky.

Link:  http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dc-chief-superman-wonder-woman-586081

Are they finally going to give in and make a lackluster film adaptation of The Sandman?  If it goes down, it will be fun to follow.

Unless they can actually commit to a series of Sandman films, it seems like a bad idea.

Death: The High Cost of Living, on the other hand, is ripe for a film adaptation.  As long as they aren't stupid and spend too much money on it.

Preacher has been needed to be made for-fucking-ever.  I think HBO currently has the rights. 

Good to know they're actually thinking about WW though. Aquaman could be great, but they really have to tread a fine line.  It could devolve into abject awfulness if they go too far into camp.  This scene is a perfect balance (NOTE -- I have zero confidence that a Hollywood studio could do this correctly): 

Wasn't the talk for the longest time that Gaiman wanted to direct the Death movie?

I assume Sara Gilbert and/Winona Ryder are now too old to play Death.

Presumably, as the new It Girl, people would want Jennifer Lawrence to play her now.

Preacher is more accessible than The Sandman, but I could live without a tv or film adaptation.  It has its bright spots and interesting characters, but it's not my favorite.  Both The Sandman and Preacher have some touchy religious aspects, so I wouldn't be surprise if they changed a few things in any type of adaptation.

They are just thinking up ways to delay doing a Wonder Woman film at this point.

In movie news, Martin Scorsese's next film will be Silence (based on the novel by Shusaku Endo) with Andrew Garfield and Ken Watanabe starring. It's scheduled to start production next June. His project after that, hopefully, is called The Irishman (based on the book I Heard You Paint Houses). Steve Zaillian penned the screenplay and De Niro (playing the lead), Pacino, and Pesci already read for it. This is either going to be really awesome or really sad.

In some other corners of the internet, people are saying that a Sandman movie will be the thing that finally puts DC films ahead of Marvel for good. This is baffling to me. Is the source material even still all that popular? What would the plot of the movie be? Would they just combine preludes and a dolls house in to one long boring introduction? Brief Lives is easily the most filmable of the stories, but would make no sense even as a sequel. I rarely say stuff like this, but the fan boy in me hopes that this never gets off the ground.

Speaking of Red Band Trailers that also got released during Comic Con (like that above Riddick one)

Usual notes

- It's Red Band (language and violence). Depending on your place of business you might not want to watch it

- If you don't want the end of the first Kick Ass spoiled for you, don't watch the trailer

Also - between this and Carrie, I really fear for the type of perverts Chloë Grace Moretz is going to have to deal wtih

Any one mention that Tom Hanks and Natalie Portman are doing the film adaptation of Erik Larson's In the Garden of Beasts? Michael Hazanavicius, who did The Artist, is directing.

The book is a great read and I like the casting already.