DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

People thought the Robocop trailer looked good?!?!  WTF it looks like gd garbage.  We already know it's going to completely miss EVERYTHING that made the original great, and be just another generic summer film that we'll have all forgotten about the next year.

I'm sure the kid from Robocop 2 would have little trouble with this version.

Well, it's coming out in early February. You'll probably forget about by the time the summer movies come out if it's crappy.

Also, apologies for missing the release date.  It just screamed summer cash-in film to me.

The Rock and McG are working on a big-screen version of the television show, The Fall Guy.

Despite the notion that this movie will probably blow goats because of the Dwayne Johnson Rule (Any franchise that The Rock starts on his own will suck.  Any dying franchise the Rock signs up with will rule), I am on board if The Rock breaks out a guitar and sings the theme song, The Unknown Stuntman, and if Lee Majors shows up in a cameo.

• Like 2

That Robocop trailer looked like absolute dogshit. But I'll go see it anyway because I like the cast. The suit re-design is a big turn-off though and this film clearly won't have the heart, humor, blood, or guts (as in literal viscera and smart-directorial choices) of the original.

• Like 1

ROBOCOP Remake is Apparently "Hell" for Director

“I talked to José Padilha for a week by phone. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience. For every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight… ‘This is hell here,’ he told me. ‘The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.’ He is bitter, but it’s a fighter.”

Year-old report. I'll never understand why you hire a great director and then refuse to let him do his thing.

ROBOCOP Remake is Apparently "Hell" for Director

“I talked to José Padilha for a week by phone. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience. For every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight… ‘This is hell here,’ he told me. ‘The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.’ He is bitter, but it’s a fighter.”

Year-old report. I'll never understand why you hire a great director and then refuse to let him do his thing.

I always think it's case where the studio knows exactly what they want, but someone technically still has to direct it.

I assure you the people paying for the movie have never seen anything Jose Padiha has directed and do not give two shits about his "ideas". They want something that looks like something that everyone will spend money on across the globe. Save your auteur-ism for the minor leagues, pal.

• Like 1

I assure you the people paying for the movie have never seen anything Jose Padiha has directed and do not give two shits about his "ideas". They want something that looks like something that everyone will spend money on across the globe. Save your auteur-ism for the minor leagues, pal.

I think the fear was that Padilha was going to attempt to infuse too much of his Tropa de Elite films into RoboCop. 

I think there are some pretty timeless elements (ex. urban decay breeding desperation & criminality, police being used to pacify society rather than secure justice, corrupt government and corporations plundering society as often as criminals do) from the Tropa de Elite movies that certainly wouldn't be out of place in RoboCop, but we've all seen what happens when there is no balance between social commentary and POW BANG ZAP aka Elysium.

A RoboCop that includes no dystopian satire or stinging social commentary is just as wrong as a RoboCop that is devoid of BITCHES, LEAVE~! or thugs being shot in the crotch while using female hostages as human shields.

Tom Hiddleston will be replacing Benedict Cumberbatch as the lead in Guillermo del Toro's gothic horror epic, Crimson Peak.

Plot details are thin but since Tom is awesome and del Toro has yet to strike out on a gothic-themed movie, I think I am all in.

So they've finally cast that fucking 50 SHADES OF GREY movie. It's Charlie Hunnam's Terrible Accent and someone called Dakota Johnson, who I've never seen in anything (and I guess I won't see her in anything in this either *rimshot*).

You do realize that's Don Johnson's daughter?

Oh, God.  There is no way I can watch that movie and not feel weird.

I guess it's worth mentioning here that Tom Hiddleton will replace Benedict Cumberbatch as the lead in Guillermo del Toro's new gothic ghost thingie, Crimson Peak.  You're replacing an awesome guy with another awesome guy.  Normally that would be an exciting announcement but it its a zero sum gain, so it does not jazz me as much as it should.

So they've finally cast that fucking 50 SHADES OF GREY movie. It's Charlie Hunnam's Terrible Accent and someone called Dakota Johnson, who I've never seen in anything (and I guess I won't see her in anything in this either *rimshot*).

You do realize that's Don Johnson's daughter?

Oh, God.  There is no way I can watch that movie and not feel weird.

I guess it's worth mentioning here that Tom Hiddleton will replace Benedict Cumberbatch as the lead in Guillermo del Toro's new gothic ghost thingie, Crimson Peak.  You're replacing an awesome guy with another awesome guy.  Normally that would be an exciting announcement but it its a zero sum gain, so it does not jazz me as much as it should.

Unless Cumberbatch dropping out changed plans, it's suppose to start shooting in late January. I just hope they give del Toro a decent budget.

Del Toro is a lot like John Woo.  I have seen him fall apart if you give him too much cash.  I hope he gets a decent budget, but a blank check will not necessarily equate to a great movie for that guy.

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Robocop remake looks bad, but that was entirely predictable.  Why?  Paul Verhoeven isn't doing it.

Robocop is just one of those few movies that has such a distinct feel and tone to it that is unique to one particular person (in this case Verhoeven).  I can't imagine anyone getting it "right." 

I hope I'll be surprised. 

Somehow that 'Robocop' trailer alternately looks kinda awesome (The stuff where he's on the robocycle) and kinda shitty ("You have to talk to your SON!").  I'm really torn.  Then again, having just seen it for the first time last year, I don't have nearly the same attachment to the original that most of y'all do.