DVDVR Message Board

2013: UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/RUMORS/ETC

Dolfan in NYC

Eh, Ben Hur is a massively overrated movie anyway.

Ah, yer nuts. The chariot race is fucking awesome.

Yes, it is.  It's an absolutely amazing scene/set piece, one of the greatest things in the history of cinema.  The other 53 hours of the movie are fucking terrible, though.

- Not surprisingly, Warner Bros. is dropping Seventh Son (scheduled for a January 17 wide release), Mass Effect, and Warcraft movies that are owned by Legendary Pictures. However, WB/Legendary are still putting out Godzilla together on May 16. Legendary is going to pitch the remaining projects to the their new partner Universal Pictures.

You would think I would be upset by this but I am not since a Mass Effect movie terrifies me.

And I am still trying to figure out why a separate thread was created since this normally all goes in "Upcoming Releases"

Well, the thread is called 2013: New Movies and no one is really posting anything except trailers for movies coming out this year.

The old thread was for everything. I blame Dolfan for the lazy naming :-)

I will merge and update eventually.

Eh, Ben Hur is a massively overrated movie anyway.

Ah, yer nuts. The chariot race is fucking awesome.
Yes, it is. It's an absolutely amazing scene/set piece, one of the greatest things in the history of cinema. The other 53 hours of the movie are fucking terrible, though.
Bullshit, you just hate Jesus. You probably hate Spartacus cause there are crucifixions.

That Mandela trailer is a something. I gotta believe Elba is in the driver seat for the Oscar.

Also might not be a popular opinion but I find David O Russell kind of overrated. That being said American Hustle looks like alot of fun. Bradley Cooper's terrible wig and all.

Also might not be a popular opinion but I find David O Russell kind of overrated. That being said American Hustle looks like alot of fun. Bradley Cooper's terrible wig and all.

I don't like the endings to his movies. Non-boxing fans probably don't give a shit, but ending The Fighter with the Shea Neary fight left me unsatisfied. I actually watched Silver Linings Playbook yesterday, and the whole dance-footbal parlay/reuniting with ex-wife thing was horrible aside from the scoring bit. Fucking horrible.

That Mandela trailer is a something. I gotta believe Elba is in the driver seat for the Oscar.

Tom Hanks is playing Disney, he's got competition.

Isiah Washington is playing Jon Allen Mohammed

Tom Hanks is ALSO playing Capt. Phillips

AND if the hype is to be believed, Matthew McConaghey may blow all of them out of the water by playing Rod Woodruff in Dallas Buyers Club (true story of a homophobic womanizer who was diagnosed with full-blown AIDS in 1986 and set up an illegal drug smuggling ring to bring in non-FDA approved AIDS drugs into the country, saving and/or prolonging the lives of many people)  http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-ca-dallas-buyers-20130818,0,6694843,full.story

Can we just get another awards category for actors and actresses playing famous people? Best Impersonation or something? It's always fun to say "Wow, they looked and sounded exactly like", but it is leaves a whole lot of great performances out in the cold every year.

I daresay that Zui Quan wouldn't be remembered as such a heroic figure if his alcoholism hadn't led to the development of the Drunken Boxing fighting style... so we are all led to believe.

Uh, ok.

I suppose my point is that I agree with your point about Chinese historical figures being converted into Robin Hood.  These men will always be presented as pariah and pillars of virtue in these films no matter how they were in real life.  Even their character flaws will have some sort of positive effect on their character.

As far as the "so we are all led to believe part," there are no less than five documented proponents of the Drunken Boxing style but most sources credit Zui Quan as the style's creator.

It's really no mistake that the heroes in movies like Ip Man are presented as nearly perfect.  There is a ton of blatant propagangda in the recent historical movies that are produced in Mainland China or financed by Mainland companies/government.  The government has to approve the script and there is often months of post-production editing done as the government censors have their way.  There is a new Wong Fei Hung movie in production and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it totally skips the drunken style, or makes it that he learned it because alcohol was forced on him by gwailos (foreigners).

BTW, the US version of The Grandmaster has been cut by 20+ minutes.  I am a huge Wong Kar Wai fan and of Hong Kong/Chinese cinema in general, so I would love to be able to support domestic showings, but I cannot in good faith give money to another instance of the Weinsteins pissing on Asian cinema. 

Every time that kid talks I can hear Ginger saying "You know nothing, Jon Snow." I bet he gets that shit all the time now too. Poor bastard with his money, acting career, and wildly popular TV show.