DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I've had this thing rolling around in my head for what seems like years, and it's popped up again & I'd like some feedback.

It's a juxtaposition of filming "Reservoir Dogs" in the mid-1930's to 1940s area. Not even necessarily concerned with the logistics or "you'd never get away with a film like that in that time," I'm simply interested in what actors would fit what roles best.

So far, I've put:

Keitel - James Cagney

Buscemi - Peter Lorre

Madsen - eh, Robert Mitchum?

Roth - I love noir Fred MacMurray, so yeah, after "Double Indemnity," I could see him in a role where he's writhing around on the ground.

The Steven Wright DJ - a comedy straight man, so someone like Bud Abbott.

And that's where I break down in filming the rest of the cast. Tarantino's Mr. Brown, Eddie Bunker ... hell, what bit actor would fit for Marvin the cop? Any thoughts?

Phantom Menace was shit but you guys are sleeping on the second best fucking lightsaber fight of the franchise.

Sure but the lightsaber fights in the prequels are an anachronism.  I guess Lucas thought acrobatic ninja flippy lightsaber duels looked cool and now had the technology to do it and thus couldn't resist, but then fast forward to in the timeline to the original trilogy where duels are more methodical and I guess we're supposed to believe the art of lightsaber fighting devolved.

I have learned to accept the idiodicy of the flippy ninja style of saber fighting style with a weapon which has an omni-directional cutting surface and appreciate the athleticism of Neeson, McGregor, and Ray mother fucking Park working their asses off.

Personally, saber combat didn't devolve, but the practitioners got old and their movements got more and more measured as they matured in the Force.

Or at least that is what I tell myself.

• Like 2

I've had this thing rolling around in my head for what seems like years, and it's popped up again & I'd like some feedback.

It's a juxtaposition of filming "Reservoir Dogs" in the mid-1930's to 1940s area. Not even necessarily concerned with the logistics or "you'd never get away with a film like that in that time," I'm simply interested in what actors would fit what roles best.

So far, I've put:

Keitel - James Cagney

Buscemi - Peter Lorre

Madsen - eh, Robert Mitchum?

Roth - I love noir Fred MacMurray, so yeah, after "Double Indemnity," I could see him in a role where he's writhing around on the ground.

The Steven Wright DJ - a comedy straight man, so someone like Bud Abbott.

And that's where I break down in filming the rest of the cast. Tarantino's Mr. Brown, Eddie Bunker ... hell, what bit actor would fit for Marvin the cop? Any thoughts?

Edward G Robinson as Eddie.

Cab Calloway as the cop - Mitchum talks about cutting him. Calloway responds - "You don't scare me! I walked the beat in Harlem in '35!" but is clearly scared out of his mind.

So much fantasy booking right now...

• Like 1

Finally saw Mad Max this weekend, which led me to this

I love that the "Frequently bought together" tab has this plus the fucking goggles ahaha Like this is now the only use for food coloring.

Now, I wish I was slightly slimmer in my stomach. I am very tempted to dress as a War Boy for halloween.

• Like 1

I was mulling over costume ideas for the big day with friends the other night and it popped into my head "hey guys, you know how many people are gonna do Mad Max costumes this year? It's gonna be the new Dark Knight 2008." Then I thought about it a little more and realized these are a bit... more... trying... than some Joker makeup. But I can see a bunch of skinny War Boys freezing their balls off.

I was reading this http://flavorwire.com/539000/50-films-that-capture-the-dark-side-of-new-york-city/51 and was wondering who's seen The Education of Sonny Carson, which of all of the films I haven't seen here (there aren't a whole lot) instantly appealed to me. If you've seen it how is it? (And btw, no King of New York? No fucking BAD LIEUTENANT?!)