DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

I'll refrain from ranking Star Wars films, as it's been an eternity since I've seen Jedi. I also don't think I've watched Clones since it came to DVD.

Anyways, who would be interested in doing a best of the half decade poll (2010 - 2014)?

I know Caley threw this out a few months ago, and it has been back on my mind as I have read and listened to a few lists the last couple of weeks.

If so, how long would everyone need to get a ballot done?

Whedon, Eli Roth and (lately) Tarantino have all fallen into the pastiche form of movie making. When they began their careers they put their love of a variety of things they grew up with into their scripts and films without falling into the FAMILY GUY-esque "'member this thing? that was awesome!"

FIREFLY takes a whole bunch of ideas, barely strings them together coherently, and the Whedonites jump on it hard because Joss is playing his greatest hits. The damn show has been off the air for nearly 15 years, and people still will not shut up about it. In the meantime hundreds of MUCH BETTER shows have come and gone.

Name 12.

I'm curious.

Well, I think you'd need to qualify what type of list you're looking for. It would be pretty easy to come up with "12 better shows from the last 12 years." Are we talking shows that were also canceled before their time? That list is tougher, but still includes heavy-hitters like DEADWOOD and, for now, HANNIBAL (Fannibals are the Browncoats of 2027).

12 better shows that were cancelled after one season would be a lot tougher to come up with. Although I'd put forward the late, lamented TERRIERS.

• Like 1

I enjoyed Firefly, but I would not place it as this measuring stick for one of the greatest shows of all time.

The series, as I remember it, played to and acknowledged what it was and did a good enough job of not taking itself too seriously.

12 Much Better genre Shows that have begun and ended since Firefly (hour long):

Alphas, Almost Human, Awake, Battlestar Galactica, Carnivàle, Pushing Daisies, Veronica Mars, Being Human (UK), Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, True Blood, Terminator: TSCC

Alphas, Almost Human, Awake, Battlestar Galactica, Carnivàle, Pushing Daisies, Veronica Mars, Being Human (UK), Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, True Blood, Terminator: TSCC

Not a bad list. Thanks.

• Like 1

1/3 went more than a season, which felt like cheating,  but the majority are single season wonders.

Awake is one I never finished and watched when it aired. It's on Netflix but I've debated if it's worth finishing.

At this point, I'd probably have to just restart it.

FRINGE! Though I hated the last season. . . .

See, removed from all context and story, I like the podrace. It's a hell of a set piece.

proops!

Even then though, the stupid two head announcer kind of takes me out of it. . . .Another huge problem with Episodes one and two is the lack of screen time(and motivation) for the villians. I guess Lucas was trying to build tension/surprise for the emperor reveal, but its not like Palpatine was a known last name for twenty years. . . 

Phantom Menace was shit but you guys are sleeping on the second best fucking lightsaber fight of the franchise.

Sure but the lightsaber fights in the prequels are an anachronism.  I guess Lucas thought acrobatic ninja flippy lightsaber duels looked cool and now had the technology to do it and thus couldn't resist, but then fast forward to in the timeline to the original trilogy where duels are more methodical and I guess we're supposed to believe the art of lightsaber fighting devolved.

• Like 1

The storyline explanation was that Vader now realised he could no longer be that super athlete and so went for a methodical, power-based style. Whilst Obi-Wan was just old, and not in a Yoda way. And there was no-one to demonstrate to Luke all the Ninja Lucha he could have been capable of.

• Like 4

The storyline explanation was that Vader now realised he could no longer be that super athlete and so went for a methodical, power-based style. Whilst Obi-Wan was just old, and not in a Yoda way. And there was no-one to demonstrate to Luke all the Ninja Lucha he could have been capable of.

That storyline no longer exists.  We'll have to ask JJ what the reason was.

I like the idea that Vader decided to work smart like older Andre.

More like Jimmy Valiant.  As a matter of fact, before their duel, Vader was overheard saying, "Brother, I ain't gonna bump for ya. And if I fall down help me up."

Well it makes sense when you had a senior citizen fighting a guy in a walking iron lung. . . . 

Makes sense until you consider decrepit, aged Yoga briefly flying around like (insert luchadore here) in the 2nd film using the power of the Force.

I like the idea that Vader decided to work smart like older Andre.

More like Jimmy Valiant.  As a matter of fact, before their duel, Vader was overheard saying, "Brother, I ain't gonna bump for ya. And if I fall down help me up."

Well it makes sense when you had a senior citizen fighting a guy in a walking iron lung. . . . 

Makes sense until you consider decrepit, aged Yoga briefly flying around like (insert luchadore here) in the 2nd film using the power of the Force.

Well yeah, but with Yoda, its never clear exactly how much the cane routine is just him playing possum. He also was a shit ton stronger in the force than Vader, and he didn't get dropped in a volcano either. . .