DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 MOVIE THREAD

RIPPA

Yup - totally forgot to make these threads

I got The DUFF from Netflix.

I am kinda excited

(I also have Rudderless from the library - I might be the only person ever who is excited to watch that one too)

Yup - totally forgot to make these threads

I got The DUFF from Netflix.

I am kinda excited

(I also have Rudderless from the library - I might be the only person ever who is excited to watch that one too)

Oh God, just reading the IMDB synopsis for Rudderless and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to emotionally handle that movie at all.

Seeing the opening to the Shaggy D.A. in the Dean Jones memorial thread reminded me how, as a little kid, any movie like The Shaggy Dog/D.A., or the episodes of Danger Mouse or G.I. Joe where they met the ancient Egyptian gods, or Clash of the Titans, or Xanadu or pretty much any movie that either implied or stated that the gods of Greece/Rome or Egypt or any other ancient religion were in fact real, confused the crap out of me as a five-year old who had been raised in the Abrahamic faiths.

• Like 1

Saw 'Jurassic World' today.  It was really entertaining and really, really stupid.  I had a good time.

Also, I've started my own project called 'Sandtember' in which I try to watch all 19 Adam Sandler-starring comedies during the month ('Pixels' would be 20 but it's only playing once chez nous and I don't know if I can justify paying for it).  I'm three-quarters of the way through my first time watching 'That's My Boy'.  It's awful.

What sin did you commit that you're trying to repent for? Are you masochistic? I do not understand.

I still love a good portion of Sandler's early comedies (Billy Madison through to Big Daddy are all good ones...well maybe not The Waterboy) but, for the rest I was inspired by a section from this review

http://deadspin.com/5918440/the-stupid-stupid-unforgettable-madness-of-adam-sandler-thats-my-boy-reviewed

Despite the awfulness of That's My Boy, there exists as always that genuine Sandler weirdness. It certainly doesn't justify seeing the movie, but it does offer sights you won't see anywhere else.
But for all the complaints you can hurl at Sandler's crude comedies, you can never call them predictable. Sure, they usually resolve themselves with a mushy third act—and yet again he's embedded one high-profile star cameo late in the film—but beforehand they venture into these bizarre tangents that so defy logic that you're never quite sure where they're going. In That's My Boy, a throwaway joke very early on ends up becoming vitally important to the film's finale. Characters want to have sex with other characters for the most random of reasons. Tony Orlando plays Donny's boss because, well, maybe somebody in the audience is old enough to remember that Tony Orlando is a cultural joke. You couldn't call any of this formulaic because there doesn't seem to be any formula being followed. It's all madness—stupid, stupid madness.

And it's true, there's some much random crap in his movies that seem solely to exist to make him laugh.  If you've never seen 'Jack and Jill', then you've never seen Al Pacino rapping.  If you've never seen 'Grown Ups 2', then you've never seen Steve Austin punching out dudes while his girlfriend spoonfeeds him dessert.  If you've never seen 'I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry' then you've never seen Ving Rhames dancing and singing sexily in the shower.  I'm not saying that's a justification for watching his movies, but I'm saying it's my justification for watching these movies.  I mean, why is Lincoln in his vision at the end of 'Happy Gilmore' with Chubbs and an alligator?!

Saw 'Jurassic World' today.  It was really entertaining and really, really stupid.  I had a good time.

Also, I've started my own project called 'Sandtember' in which I try to watch all 19 Adam Sandler-starring comedies during the month ('Pixels' would be 20 but it's only playing once chez nous and I don't know if I can justify paying for it).  I'm three-quarters of the way through my first time watching 'That's My Boy'.  It's awful.

When I saw "Sandtember" I immediately thought that a month of watching movies from alumni of The Sandlot is the greatest idea I've ever heard.

I come up with more than 20 Sandler comedies so I am curious which borderline ones you didn't count

(and that wasn't including animated ones like Hotel Translvania)

Basically the ones he anchored (So no 'Airheads'), once he became SNL-famous (So I can dismiss the relatively difficult-to-find 'Going Overboard') and comedies only (I'm not watching 'Spanglish' again!), not including animated (Because there's no way in hell I'm sitting through '8 Crazy Nights') or family-ish ones (Don't feel like watching 'Bedtime Stories' again).

01. Billy Madison

02. Happy Gilmore

03. The Wedding Singer

04. The Waterboy

05. Big Daddy

06. Little Nicky

07. Mr. Deeds

08. Anger Management

09. 50 First Dates

10. The Longest Yard

11. Click

12. I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry

13. You Don't Mess With the Zohan

14. Grown Ups

15. Just Go With It

16. Jack and Jill

17. That's My Boy

18. Grown Ups 2

19. Blended 

I've actually watched 16 of them before anyways (Longest Yard, That's My Boy and Just Go With It being the ones I've never seen before).  'Pixels' would be #20.

Happy Gilmore is the CBC's favourite goddamn movie of all time. I think it's been part of their summer rotation every year since it hit TV, and it will be, forever.

I'm not saying this is bad, per se. I mean, Happy Gilmore is one of the better Sandler projects.

I actually think it's on tonight...not sure if it's CBC or not, though.  Either way I'm DVRing it.

The most shocking thing about this project, so far, is discovering that I own NO Adam Sandler comedies.  I thought for sure I had Gilmore, Madison and Wedding Singer but, no, none of those.

What's wrong with Spanglish?  It's a spot-on James L. Brooks movie.

That Tea Leoni character, though well-played, might be one of the most loathsome, completely unlikable movie characters in movie history.  Not even in a so-evil-it's-entertaining way but in a so annoying that you can't wait for her to ear some sort of comeuppance and then

she NEVER really does

I find it almost a chore to watch it largely because of her.

might be one of the most loathsome, completely unlikable movie characters in movie history.  Not even in a so-evil-it's-entertaining way but in a so annoying that you can't wait for her to ear some sort of comeuppance and then

she NEVER really does

I call this "Dolores Umbridge syndrome". It's even worse when the protagonist can be defined as such, like in Margot at the Wedding.

What's wrong with Spanglish?  It's a spot-on James L. Brooks movie.

That Tea Leoni character, though well-played, might be one of the most loathsome, completely unlikable movie characters in movie history.  Not even in a so-evil-it's-entertaining way but in a so annoying that you can't wait for her to earn some sort of comeuppance and then

she NEVER really does

I can see why some would have a problem that.

might be one of the most loathsome, completely unlikable movie characters in movie history.  Not even in a so-evil-it's-entertaining way but in a so annoying that you can't wait for her to ear some sort of comeuppance and then

she NEVER really does

I call this "Dolores Umbridge syndrome". It's even worse when the protagonist can be defined as such, like in Margot at the Wedding.

Man, Margot was a really unlikeable character.  I've never seen that movie a second time, I don't think I could handle it.

might be one of the most loathsome, completely unlikable movie characters in movie history. Not even in a so-evil-it's-entertaining way but in a so annoying that you can't wait for her to ear some sort of comeuppance and then

she NEVER really does

Wait, Umbridge got a fairly severe comeuppance, at least in order. I guess less so in Deathly Hallows, but abducted (and, if we take lore into account and read between the lines, raped) by centaurs isn't no comeuppance.

• Like 1

All we know is that she got chased into the forest, everything after that was left completely unstated. Which is the very definition of underwhelming, considering that she was (in my opinion) the single most hate-able heel in the entire series. I could at least respect Voldermort's badass abilities; Umbridge was just someone who abused her position of political power that had been handed to her by someone else. Yet she actually left more scars on Harry than Voldy did!

Like Fowler said, if you take into account the lore of centaurs, her punishment was quite severe.  HOWEVER they clearly couldn't show that in a Potter book or flick, and they probably should have gone in a different direction.  Maybe have McGonagall turn her into some kind of animal while all the children at Hogwarts laugh at her.