DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

And then Matt Williams pinch hits for Jordan Zimmermann in what will assuredly be JZ's last game so the fans don't get to give him an ovation.

Yeah - my Twitter feed is on fire and I can't stop laughing

The way you wrote this I thought Matt Williams put himself in as a pinch hitter for Jordan Zimmerman. Now I'm sad we didn't get the trolliest move in sports history.

Down to Mookie Wilson's #1. Kinda sad we won't clinch in Philly in front of an invasion by Mets fans but all that counts is getting the job done. He may drive me nuts sometimes but I don't see how Collins isn't NL manager of the year. The lineups he was forced to field for the first 2/3rds of the season were among the worst MLB lineups in recent memory but he kept things afloat. He really deserves a lot of credit. Sandy wins executive of the year running away.

Oh yeah, nothing but good things to say about Juan Uribe. 2010 couldn't have happened without him, and for that I'll forgive him just about anything.

It was very gracious of him to continue to Be A Good Giant by stinking it up those first couple years in L.A., too :)

Also I may have rooted just a little bit for the Dodgers in 2013 because they were the least objectionable of the 4 LCS teams, and Uribe made that a lot more bearable.

Glad he's still finding a place on contending teams, and if the Mets get past the NLDS I will not at all be surprised if one particular Juan Uribe at-bat is a big part of why.

Yeah, Uribe is the man. Thank god he still had the top flight defense in those first couple years, or I might have turned on him completely.

Holy shit, you are a better man than I am. SFG could be playing a team comprised entirely of Nazis and I couldn't bring myself to root for them.

One day the Yankees & Giants will play in a WS, and my heart will break, because I would have zero reason to enjoy the Fall Classic.

I couldn't either. I recently went to an event in the Bay Area, and was sad because my friends wouldn't let me wear my Dodgers hat. They said we'd get in a fight.

Stupid battery chuckers.

You wouldn't have had anything to worry about, a lot of the new breed of fans brought on by their recent run of championships don't know a goddamn thing about the game, and certainly don't treasure the rivalry enough to have given you any kind of hard time. 

SF is a fantastic baseball town, and the Giants fanbase for the most part falls right in line with that. I am at Pac Bell like a dozen times a year, and not just for Dodgers games, I try to get there for an AZ series, and almost always for SD a couple games.

I walk in there like a courteous visitor, draped in as much Dodger blue as I can get onto my body, and the only grief I catch is relatively good-natured ribbing. You might hear a lot of "3 in 5 years!", but you just have to remind everyone that it's actually 3 in 60 years.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, nothing but good things to say about Juan Uribe. 2010 couldn't have happened without him, and for that I'll forgive him just about anything.

It was very gracious of him to continue to Be A Good Giant by stinking it up those first couple years in L.A., too :)

Also I may have rooted just a little bit for the Dodgers in 2013 because they were the least objectionable of the 4 LCS teams, and Uribe made that a lot more bearable.

Glad he's still finding a place on contending teams, and if the Mets get past the NLDS I will not at all be surprised if one particular Juan Uribe at-bat is a big part of why.

Yeah, Uribe is the man. Thank god he still had the top flight defense in those first couple years, or I might have turned on him completely.

Holy shit, you are a better man than I am. SFG could be playing a team comprised entirely of Nazis and I couldn't bring myself to root for them.

One day the Yankees & Giants will play in a WS, and my heart will break, because I would have zero reason to enjoy the Fall Classic.

I couldn't either. I recently went to an event in the Bay Area, and was sad because my friends wouldn't let me wear my Dodgers hat. They said we'd get in a fight.

Stupid battery chuckers.

You wouldn't have had anything to worry about, a lot of the new breed of fans brought on by their recent run of championships don't know a goddamn thing about the game, and certainly don't treasure the rivalry enough to have given you any kind of hard time. 

SF is a fantastic baseball town, and the Giants fanbase for the most part falls right in line with that. I am at Pac Bell like a dozen times a year, and not just for Dodgers games, I try to get there for an AZ series, and almost always for SD a couple games.

I walk in there like a courteous visitor, draped in as much Dodger blue as I can get onto my body, and the only grief I catch is relatively good-natured ribbing. You might hear a lot of "3 in 5 years!", but you just have to remind everyone that it's actually 3 in 60 years.

Eh, to be honest, we were going to a rave, and there's a section of the NoCal scene that really, really, dislikes LA ravers for whatever reason, so it was probably the smart choice. Just rocked the Raiders hat instead.

Living in close proximity to philly means hearing decades of stories about the abuse taken by innocent visiting fans at the vet or spectrum.

If you're not a fucking asshole, they won't give a shit. I've had a whopping one incident in probably 80+ games at Citizens Bank Park, and that came courtesy of a drunk whose wife apologized for him afterwards.

re: Wren. He's an abrasive personality. Given that Hazen and Dombrowski will be there to rein him in, he should be fine. He's tremendous at building a bullpen and bench.

Does the Wild Card game count as playoffs? For some weird reason I thought it doesn't. Speaking of that I will be at the AL WC game next Tuesday thanks to my friend who gave me his ticket (he's going to London to see the Jets play there so he'll be out of town).

Is Ben Revere one of those guys that advanced stats has really taken the value out from under him? He seems to get on base often enough, has an average of over .300, is ridiculously fast but his WAR is rarely over 2.

Is Ben Revere one of those guys that advanced stats has really taken the value out from under him? He seems to get on base often enough, has an average of over .300, is ridiculously fast but his WAR is rarely over 2.

Maybe. But we are talking a guy who played a full season and had an OBP higher than his slugging %...

He doesn't hit for power, which is a problem when you don't have the arm to play center. He doesn't walk much at all, meaning you're not getting much aside from those singles. He's a solid starting outfielder, but not a franchise guy. Poor man's Denard Span.