DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

re: expansion. I personally don't think there are any more viable US markets. Plus, considering the ugly situations in Oakland and Tampa, bringing in two *more* teams could get ugly.

The largest market in the country without a team is Orlando, and that's not happening. Next up is Sacramento, which also isn't happening because the Giants are assholes. After that, you get into the Portland/Charlotte/Raleigh crop, which are all smaller markets than Pittsburgh.

If MLB does end up considering expansion, it would be outside the borders. They've talked Mexico for years. They always flirt with Puerto Rico. Montreal is getting more looks. I think they're all more realistic options than like, San Antonio.

Giants aren't keeping the A's out of Sacramento. They'd be perfectly happy if the A's went there. It's San Jose they're keeping them out of.

Tigers send home Bruce Rondon citing "effort level" (or lack thereof)

And it doesn't seem like his teammates will miss him too much

When asked about the team losing a "big component" of its pitching staff, veteran catcher Alex Avila responded that "to be a big component of the team, you've got to be here."

"You put out your best effort every day, no matter the situation," the Tigers catcher said.

Tigers send home Bruce Rondon citing "effort level" (or lack thereof)

And it doesn't seem like his teammates will miss him too much

When asked about the team losing a "big component" of its pitching staff, veteran catcher Alex Avila responded that "to be a big component of the team, you've got to be here."

"You put out your best effort every day, no matter the situation," the Tigers catcher said.

Stuff like this is exactly why Brad Ausmus will be unemployed hours after the season ends.

A division champion having to be in a one game play-in makes the regular season even more pointless because the entire regular season schedule is built around having as many Yankees vs Red Sox games nationally broadcast as possible emphasizing in-division competition, rightly or wrongly.

The "fair" thing to do is ditch interleague and the unbalanced schedule so that everyone in a league, regardless of division, plays the same opponents the same number of times.  Then you could more fairly seed a strong wild card ahead of a weak division champion because they've all been judged against the same measuring stick.

Of cour$$$$e that will not happen for one very obviou$$$$$$$$$$ rea$$$on at which I already hinted.

Joey Bats tossed out a fool at third base, and then one-upped himself by tossing out the insurance run at home plate in the top of the 9th. Bottom of the 9th, and Navarro goes deep to tie the game!

He's probably too late of a bloomer to get serious hall of fame consideration, but he's definitely in the category of most fun player I've ever watched. Personality and talent-wise, he's there with Ichiro and Vlad Guerrero for me.

Joey Bats tossed out a fool at third base, and then one-upped himself by tossing out the insurance run at home plate in the top of the 9th. Bottom of the 9th, and Navarro goes deep to tie the game!

How about a little love for that fucking RIDICULOUS tag that Donaldson laid down to get the out? Hell of a strong throw, but way up and Josh went up and pirouetted to get the tag on Ackley's foot. That should be the takeaway from that play.

The throw to the plate was straight money, though.

So with another dominant pitching performance in the books for Jake, what chance does he have at the Cy Young?

Not much, I don't think. Greinke, I'd say, has it pretty well locked up. I mean, his ERA has never been above 2.00 after any start at any time this year.

But Jake would not be a wrong choice by any means. If there's any justice, we get a repeat of 1969...

90 years of awesomeness. 10 World Series rings, the most ever. Seemed like one of the most genuine, likable humans to play professional sports. And the Yogi-isms... 

Edit: Dinking around on fangraphs and Kershaw's advanced numbers are better than Greinke's. Greinke's more traditional stats (WHIP and ERA) are unbelievable but he's stranded an absurd amount of runners to the point it's not sustainable and shows a bit of luck in terms of effect on ERA, and his remarkably low BABIP of .231 echoes that. Kershaw has far better FIP stats and an amazing K% (32.9%!!!) and BB% (4.8%!). They have a new fancy stat called SIERA which incorporates the influence of balls in play that FIP and xFIP minimize. A score of 2.90 is considered excellent. Kershaw's sporting a 2.31. Only Chris Sale is even in the same park at 2.5, whereas Greinke is ranked 17th at 3.31 (slightly below the "great" level). Kershaw's SIERA score is the second best of the last 10 years, only behind his performance from last season. Dude's a freak, the most entertaining pitcher, and sports the best fancy stats. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

90 years of awesomeness. 10 World Series rings, the most ever. Seemed like one of the most genuine, likable humans to play professional sports. And the Yogi-isms... 

Edit: Dinking around on fangraphs and Kershaw's advanced numbers are better than Greinke's. Greinke's more traditional stats (WHIP and ERA) are unbelievable but he's stranded an absurd amount of runners to the point it's not sustainable and shows a bit of luck in terms of effect on ERA, and his remarkably low BABIP of .231 echoes that. Kershaw has far better FIP stats and an amazing K% (32.9%!!!) and BB% (4.8%!). They have a new fancy stat called SIERA which incorporates the influence of balls in play that FIP and xFIP minimize. A score of 2.90 is considered excellent. Kershaw's sporting a 2.31. Only Chris Sale is even in the same park at 2.5, whereas Greinke is ranked 17th at 3.31 (slightly below the "great" level). Kershaw's SIERA score is the second best of the last 10 years, only behind his performance from last season. Dude's a freak, the most entertaining pitcher, and sports the best fancy stats. 

I hate every Yankee, but for whatever reason Yogi got a free pass from me. The life he lived and the career he put together are the kind of things that end up in a fictional account of ballplayer, not a real guy. His overall vibe always came off as a dude that understood exactly how great of a life he had gotten to live and was going to enjoy every day he had.

Plus, I can pretend like he was a Met because of 1965 and his subsequent stay on their coaching staff.

I'm pretty sure that Kershaw was grown in a lab somewhere, the numbers he puts up are almost too much to believe. All the advanced numbers just reinforce how special he is, because it's not like you have to look past his standard metric stats to find some hidden gem. All of his numbers across both sets are eye-popping.

And he's such a sweet kid, dig the page for he and Ellen's charity, fucking awesome stuff:

https://ellen-kershaw.squarespace.com/

It's easy to see Yogi's appeal, even to dyed-in-the-wool Yankee haters. A hell of a ballplayer... arguably the greatest, most complete catcher ever. Took part in 21 (TWENTY ONE) World Series. Nice guy and wonderfully shrewd, with the all time goofball persona. A class act, even as he got dicked around by Steinbrenner in the 80s-90s. To me he WAS the Yankees, even as he wrapped up his career in the Astros tequila sunrise duds. An all time great as a ballplayer and a person.

I hate the Yankees with every fiber of my being but love Yogi. Doesn't hurt that he was the manager of the 1973 "Ya' Gotta Believe" Mets, but even if he wasn't I'd still have loved the guy.

As a Cardinals fan I have to endorse and give a like to any and all statements that begin with "You're supposed to..."

You're supposed to be getting ready for your annual trip to the underworld to re-up your lifetime pact with Hades, Satan and any other demonic god things aren't you?

• Like 1

I think Baseball needs to expand two more teams and then make it one giant division and at the end of the year have a giant seeded 32-team tournament, NCAA Basketball style so we can end up with the worst team in baseball going on a run and winning it all.

As a Cardinals fan I have to endorse and give a like to any and all statements that begin with "You're supposed to..."

You're supposed to be getting ready for your annual trip to the underworld to re-up your lifetime pact with Hades, Satan and any other demonic god things aren't you?

We just need to get our capes pressed and out puffy hats puffed.

531_Pope_Paul_VI_cape.png

You're supposed to be puckering up to kiss the ring...again.

Oh, God October, how are you always so right????