DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

You're supposed to act like you've been there before. It's the same thing with Mets fans. Just getting to playoffs is meaningless if you lose once you're there.

Exhibit A- 2001 Seattle Mariners 116 win regular season

No offense, but fuck that. It's a dumb mindset. The Cubs are the youngest team in baseball (I think they hold that over Houston, anyway), are coming off a 16 games under 500 season, and regularly field (when healthy) 4 rookies, and Baez is getting PT right now who doesn't technically count as a rookie but has fewer at bats then many of the other rookies. They haven't been in the playoffs in seven years, and unlike every time the Cubs have been good in my lifetime so far, this isn't looking it it's gonna be a "We have to win everything this year because we will have giant holes on the team next year" type of finish. I'm not expecting a world series this year, but this has been the most fun Cubs fans have had in years, and damn it, we are gonna enjoy it just like the team does.

• Like 1

You're supposed to act like you've been there before. It's the same thing with Mets fans. Just getting to playoffs is meaningless if you lose once you're there.

Exhibit A- 2001 Seattle Mariners 116 win regular season

We rave after every win and I love it. I don't think the smoke machine leaves Wrigley, but not sure about the Lazers!

Fuck the haters and "the way it's supposed to be." Fuck em all!

• Like 1

Boston ties the game with Toronto on a 2 run homer. Only problem was the first guy never should have been on base, he struck out, and the ref ruled it a "foul tip", when it was clear the guy never touched the ball. What's the point of instant replay if it can't be used?

And with the Royals loss, the 3 best teams in baseball all play in the NL Central.

It is amusing they they will have to go all Thunderdome on themselves to get the NLCS

God does the NL East suck

Sportsnet has shown the whole Bucs/Dodgers series this weekend. Such a treat to hear Vin Scully.

Next year will probably be his last, so I really hope that LAD can win it all for him one last time. 

Even having listened to him for the last 30+ years, he still brings me such joy. All the little things he makes mention of, or the stories about ballplayers long since gone just bring such vibrancy to the games he calls. I'm at a point in my life that I think I have heard every story he has in his repertoire about any Dodger that ever played since he's been around, but I don't mind hearing the repeats. 

I feel so spoiled getting to listen to him every night. I couldn't imagine growing up and suffering through Hawk Harrelson calling games. Or Krukow and Duane Kuiper. Granted, some of my hatred of them stems from my disdain of the Giants, but that doesn't make them any less of a homer booth. And it is such a shame, since SFG has Jon Miller and Dave Flemming doing radio, and they are so fucking good.

Charley Steiner, Orel Hershiser and Nomar do most of the roadwork as a trio, but occasionally one or the other of them won't be in the booth for TV and do radio. They are a very good team, although a little more homerish than I want my announce team to be.

Orel and Nomar bring a lot to the table as far as the differences in how pitchers and position players see the same situation in a game. I find it hilarious that to replace Scully, you need to bring in three guys.

I appreciate Krukow and Kuiper when they are simply discussing the game unfolding in front of them. I feel like all too often their broadcasts turn into a celebration of San Francisco players, even in a game when there is nothing of note to speak of done by the team. 

I understand supporting your club, but there is a time for calling them as they actually are instead of speaking in flowery terms about a play on a routine ground ball by a Giant in a game they are losing 11-2.

Well at least this three game series means something now.

I mean the Yanks are starting Adam Warren and Ivan Nova. (Warren I like but was in the bullpen most of the year and isn't really stretched out).

So yeah... decent chance the AL East is settled by Thursday