DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2015 - SEPT/OCT

Dolfan in NYC

Red Sox fan at Dodger Stadium tries to rip A-Gon's arm off: http://t.co/WGwMniyLBX

That dude wanted that ball, I would love to know what Adrian said to him, because the look on that cat's face when he finally let go was of abject terror.

Greinke will win the Cy Young, but holy shit is Kershaw otherworldly. Scully made a comment last night about how only with Kersh could you talk about how he was having an off night having given up (at the time) 1 R on 1 H.

What is Greinke going to get from LA after the Series? 4 @ $120MM? What an opt-out year this dude is having.

False alarm lol. Bucs take game 1 from the Cubs.

Sorry for doubling up, but I wanted to express my admiration for Polanco's assist on the 9-3 putout to get Trevor Cahill. Good work in taking advantage of a chubby pitcher going down the line.

• Like 1

Red Sox fan at Dodger Stadium tries to rip A-Gon's arm off: http://t.co/WGwMniyLBX

That dude wanted that ball, I would love to know what Adrian said to him, because the look on that cat's face when he finally let go was of abject terror.

Greinke will win the Cy Young, but holy shit is Kershaw otherworldly. Scully made a comment last night about how only with Kersh could you talk about how he was having an off night having given up (at the time) 1 R on 1 H.

What is Greinke going to get from LA after the Series? 4 @ $120MM? What an opt-out year this dude is having.

Imagine if Kershaw had been himself in April and May! He's already the only guy - ever - to lead the majors in ERA four years in a row. And he's still third this year despite being average for two months. Unreal.

Sabathia was before the trade deadline, right?

Doyle is bumped down because he had a 10.00 ERA and lost both games in the playoffs and cost the Tigers John Smoltz.

Without Alexander, they never even reach the playoffs. Tigers were 11-0 in his starts and never trailed in any of them. Plus, people forget that Smoltz was terrible in the minors for Detroit.

God bless old sour puss Doyle.  Could help a team get to the playoffs but when he pitched in the playoffs.  Woof Woof.  Oh well he got Duane Ward for the Jays if nothing else

I noticed this watching yesterday's Yankees/Rays game and again today that Rays catcher JP Arencibia's walk up music is Real American. He's also played for Toronto; Texas; and Baltimore, but I've never noticed if he used Real American then. My money is on that he's not aware of what a racist asshole Hogan is.

• Like 1

Alex Wood spun a motherfucking gem tonight. 8 scoreless IP on 78 pitches, only allowed 1 H. Really nice to see after last night's 16 inning job. Off day tomorrow, then the Bucs in town for three over the weekend. Greinke, Kershaw and TBA on Sunday against Locke, Liriano and Gerrit Cole. Should be a really fun series to watch. 

For those that haven't being paying attention - the Astros have absolutely free-falling. They are 4-10 in Sept

The Rangers have passed them in the West (going up a game and a half)

They are only a game and a half up in the 2nd WC spot now

What happened to the Giants the last few months? Did their play really drop off with the losses of Pence and Panik?

Kinda, but the Giants' offense during this run has never really been great even at full strength.  Mostly it's that it turns out you need more than 1 good starting pitcher.

Heston, the rookie, kinda ran out of gas several starts ago.  Mostly okay for 6 now but tends to have 1 crooked inning (and it's typically the 1st).

Peavy's best case scenario is 6 effective innings.

Hudson missed a couple months with injury and has only been back for a couple starts [and has already announced his retirement as of the end of this season].

Leake, the BIG DEADLINE ACQUISITION [tm], has been Not-Terrible but less than expected (and missed a couple starts with injury almost immediately after being traded for).

Cain had to "Go on the DL" because he stinks and/or never really recovered from last year's season ending injury. 

Lincecum was actually slightly better but has been for many years what Cain is this year, and he actually is hurt (and may now literally be done as well as figuratively).

Vogelsong is old and has always relied on savvy and location and technique rather than having good stuff/"talent".  He's dependent on routine and hard work.  Thus, moving him to the bullpen to make room for Cain only to have to move him back to the rotation a month later due to Hudson's injury and Cain's being unreliable messed up Vogelsong's routine.

The bizarre silver lining is that Hudson, Vogelsong, Leake, and now Peavy have all hit a home run in the last couple weeks.

• Like 1

What happened to the Giants the last few months? Did their play really drop off with the losses of Pence and Panik?

Kinda, but the Giants' offense during this run has never really been great even at full strength.  Mostly it's that it turns out you need more than 1 good starting pitcher.

Heston, the rookie, kinda ran out of gas several starts ago.  Mostly okay for 6 now but tends to have 1 crooked inning (and it's typically the 1st).

Peavy's best case scenario is 6 effective innings.

Hudson missed a couple months with injury and has only been back for a couple starts [and has already announced his retirement as of the end of this season].

Leake, the BIG DEADLINE ACQUISITION [tm], has been Not-Terrible but less than expected (and missed a couple starts with injury almost immediately after being traded for).

Cain had to "Go on the DL" because he stinks and/or never really recovered from last year's season ending injury. 

Lincecum was actually slightly better but has been for many years what Cain is this year, and he actually is hurt (and may now literally be done as well as figuratively).

Vogelsong is old and has always relied on savvy and location and technique rather than having good stuff/"talent".  He's dependent on routine and hard work.  Thus, moving him to the bullpen to make room for Cain only to have to move him back to the rotation a month later due to Hudson's injury and Cain's being unreliable messed up Vogelsong's routine.

The bizarre silver lining is that Hudson, Vogelsong, Leake, and now Peavy have all hit a home run in the last couple weeks.

In addition to their "Bumgarner isn't enough" problem, the typically damn near infallible bullpen has been much closer to mere mortals this year.

Also, multiple losing streaks of 5 or more does a pretty good job of torpedoing your playoff chances in a division where the team on top didn't lose 4 straight until August.

I don't think Cain will ever be the same, a friend of mine and I were having the discussion as to whether or not he was fully healed when he came back, and neither of us thought he was healthy. His showing this year seems to enforce that line of thinking.

Your description of Leake as not-terrible is almost spot-on. Comes out every night, gives you a good shot to win a game, but only has a record of 1-1 since coming over?

The real story is that Marlon Byrd has been KING-SIZED since getting dealt, really helps to soften the blow of having to play without Pence. A team can only take so much of what Gregor Blanco considers "good OF play".

Losing Panik has really hurt them, and Pence is a big part of that team's make-up. Losing Aoki for a couple of spots didn't help any, and then Susac and Sanchez getting hurt isn't great either. Pretty tough to contend with that much injury trouble.

All that being said, fuck 'em. A pox on the house of San Francisco!!

Jung Ho Kang out 6-8 months after getting a broken leg from a slide by Chris Coghlan. I expect Pirates fans to be up-in-arms but the slide was absolutely clean, IMHO. The earlier one? Yeah, not that one...

Pirates and Cubs are both saying it wasn't intentional. Pirates fans though have said everything from that they're going to run over and kill anyone wearing Cubs gear to Cogs and Rizzo needing to get fucked up on the street. Don't believe me? Go look at the shitty Pirates SBN site. Fucking whiners. Shit happens.

Kang was the Pirates 3rd most popular guy after Cutch and Hometown so of course the fans are gonna be upset. Also, blogs and such are really misleading because 75% of the city basically abandoned the team when they were losing all those years and just now are starting to watch baseball again so a lot of the "I wish I could Nancy Kerrigan that Coglan guy" type stuff is coming from the same blowhard bandwagon yinzers that give Steeler fans a bad name.

Yeah, it's a clean baseball play. The real baseball fans here see that. But then again, if Harrison did the exact same thing and wiped out Russell with the same injury, don't tell me the Cubs blogs wouldn't be filled with the same shit (or worse).