DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

• 3 weeks later...

I've been watching a handful of Kairi Hojo matches lately, and I have to say that I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen. She has good charisma and ring presence, and she has a pretty fun moveset as well. Her top rope elbow is a joy to watch. It's been mostly tag matches, though. The only singles matches I've seen thus far are her vs. Act Yasukawa and her vs. Yuzuki Aikawa (I don't remember the dates off the top of my head). Any recommendations on what else to watch of her solo stuff?

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see Sendai Girls and Stardom in Hakata this past Monday Put some photos in the November photo thread but here's a link to some of what I did take.

These were the shows I saw:

Sendai Girls
Hakata Star Lane, Fukuoka
580 Fans - No Vacancy

Kagetsu & Kaho Kobayashi over Ray & Alex Lee (14:30)
Eiger over Kyusei Sakura Hirota (9:53)
Tomoko Miyagi Debut Match: Kyoko Kimura over Tomoko Miyagi (15:16)
Ayako Hamada over Dash Chisako (15:16)
Aja Kong & Tsubasa Kuragaki over Meiko Satomura & Syuri (17:50)

STARDOM "QUEEN TRADITION 2014"
Hakata Starlane, Fukuoka
550 Fans

Dash Chisako over Kellie Skater (7:39)
Kyoko Kimura & Kris Wolf over Kaori Yoneyama & Hatsuhinode Kamen (12:36)
Wonder of Stardom Title: Mayu Iwatani © over Mystique (8:20)  (2nd Defense)
Yoshiko, Takumi Iroha & Reo Hazuki over Nanae Takahashi, Miho Wakizawa & Kairi Hojo (19:53)
High Speed Title: Io Shirai over Koguma (15:59)  (1st Defense)

I've seen Sakura Hirota three times now. She's everywhere.

Tomoko Miyagi is a Sendai Girls trainee making her debut. She's from Yamaguchi prefecture so she had lots of fans in the crowd cheering her on. Not sure how she'll do in the future but she already has more moves than Takayuki Ueki.

Kris Wolf is interesting in that she's from the US but is getting all of her training from Stardom. Spoke with her a little. Was very nice.

Koguma was the hometown girl so she had lots of crowd support. I noticed that there were and usually are lots of older people in these Star Lane crowds. The majority of the crowd are twenty and thirty something men but there is a sizable group of senior citizens always at the shows.

Both groups said that they'd be back next year at around the same time.

• Like 1

Not bad. Nothing mind-blowing but I think I have to agree with everyone's love for Io Shirai.  I wasn't overly familiar with both groups, especially Stardom.

Sakura Hirota is Sakura Hirota. The opening Sendai tag was nothing special. Miyagi's debut match had the crowd interested but they weren't doing anything especially complicated. On the other hand, all the other Sendai Girls (even Satomura) came out during the match to support her which was a nice touch. Ayako Hamada is now the wily vet that others seem to test themselves against - she did the same thing with Yumi Oka at the WAVE show I saw. I like Aja Kong and Kuragaki as a monster team. Basically the card could have been a WAVE or OZ show but with Satomura in the main event.

Of the four joshi shows I've seen (OZ and WAVE along with these) I liked the Stardom show the most, I think. I don't know if people would really like Io Shirai having to take 15 minutes to beat a 16 year old - the match was fought fairly even for the most part - but as I said, Koguma was the hometown girl. The six woman tag was non-stop and pretty fun. Didn't realize it went that long. I was slightly confused by if certain people were supposed to be heels or not. Iwatani was kicking Mystique after the end of their match which was a little weird. Takahashi et al were heeling it up a little, especially Wakizawa. Shirai got booed a little, especially when her seconds pulled Koguma to the other side of the ring outside to hold her for a dive. There was a Showa (anyone born pre-1988) versus Heisei (1989 on) thing going on but Koguma seems to be aligned with Hojo and Takahashi.

Ever since Io won Stardom's 5*GP she has been heeling it up a bit. I suspect a full turn is gradually coming. There isn't so much of era fight going on in Stardom as it seems like Io vs. Nanae with the groups of both involved (Io/Yoshiko/Iroha/Iwatani/Hazuki vs. Nanae/Hojo/Koguma/Mio) . I recall Nanae getting pretty pissed when Io challenged for the tag belts right after she won the 5*GP. I think Io may have given up a rematch for the red belt with Yoshiko to do so.

Ever since Io won Stardom's 5*GP she has been heeling it up a bit. I suspect a full turn is gradually coming. There isn't so much of era fight going on in Stardom as it seems like Io vs. Nanae with the groups of both involved (Io/Yoshiko/Iroha/Iwatani/Hazuki vs. Nanae/Hojo/Koguma/Mio) . I recall Nanae getting pretty pissed when Io challenged for the tag belts right after she won the 5*GP. I think Io may have given up a rematch for the red belt with Yoshiko to do so.

Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I hadn't had much experience with the group going in so I was just going by what I saw that night. Stardom site post about the show.

• 1 month later...

So, Kana's been working for Reina since September, at first as a "consultant" or something like that. As one of her main talents, character-wise is being a shit-stirrer, one of the first things she did was strip Makoto and Ariya of the tag titles, simply because she could. Then she, along with Arisa Nakajima, gets to the finals of the tournament to crown new champions, facing off against Syuri and Lin Bairon. Kana and Nakajima win after it's revealed that Kana paid Lin off to turn on Syuri. Then, she beat Syuri a week or so ago to win Reina's world championship. Been a busy couple months for Kana.

Quick sidenote: Is the Kana/Arisa tag team still a kind of awkward teamup? Because I remember when they teamed together for WAVE's tag league thing, Arisa kind of looked like she'd rather be anywhere else most of the time.

So I decided to ask Kellie Skater since I mean she had to know, and they are Tawashis.  They are really hard and apparently painful (at least for wrestling purposes) scrubbing brushes, here is more of a description of them from wikipedia.  Problem solved!

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Stardom show on Sunday, decent enough.  The new Americans, Heidi Lovelace and Hudson Envy, didn't really have much to do, but ended up joining up Kyoko Kimura and Act's heel stable.  Kimura has come a long way from the stoner character she used to be.  Best match was Io Shirai vs Kaori Yoneyama.  Yoneyama still looks like a bowling ball but she is a 100% better wrestler than I remember.  (I've been out of the joshi puroresu loop for a while)  Coming soon to an indy show near you, Shirai's Superplex/Moonsault combo.  I have watched it a few times and still have no idea how she does it.  Yoshiko must be on the Bam Bam Bigelow diet because she is getting huge.  She basically ended up beating up Takahashi to retain the belt.  (Btw, there were so many belts being bandied about I thought I was about to win one)  Looks like there will be some split between Act Yasukawa's heel stable and Yoshiko's Stardom team. 

Act, Lovelace, & Dragonita joined Kimura's stable, Monster, after losing that tag match. And Yoshiko is normally that size. Its more muscle than one would think.

Well, it's Act's stable now.  My Japanese is awful, but it seems like Act is putting her newly won White belt against Yoshiko's newly defended Red belt.

Act, Lovelace, & Dragonita joined Kimura's stable, Monster, after losing that tag match. And Yoshiko is normally that size. Its more muscle than one would think.

Well, it's Act's stable now.  My Japanese is awful, but it seems like Act is putting her newly won White belt against Yoshiko's newly defended Red belt.

I was wondering if Act took over as leader, but was unsure since I don't know a any Japanese aside from a few dozen random words. Same with the White belt going up against the Red belt. I could only figure out Act challenged for the Red belt. Thanks for the clarifications.

They do have a ton of titles in Stardom, dunno why a promotion that small needs five championships, that means there are (at most) eight different wrestlers with a belt at any given time.  

The High Speed title is a holdover from NEO. It was basically made for Natsuki Taiyo because they were unwilling to give her a shot at their main belt, but felt she deserved something. It was only ever defended so much in Stardom until Io won it off of Natsuki before she retired. Since Io lost the Red belt she has been defending the High Speed belt. They have been building something with her and Koguma who was her first defense last year.

I want to say the Artist of Stardom belts weren't originally intended to be real belts, but they wanted to give Act something. They haven't really been taken seriously though that might change this year with Io, Mayu, & Takumi as champs along with Monster growing in size.

I was wondering if Act took over as leader, but was unsure since I don't know a any Japanese aside from a few dozen random words. Same with the White belt going up against the Red belt. I could only figure out Act challenged for the Red belt. Thanks for the clarifications.

Well, I say Act is the leader because it sure looked like it.  And well, she's Act.

I haven't seen it yet but it doesn't make sense the losing team that joined Monster, would then have the leader of Monster.  Act just has a presence so she may have acted like the leader anyway :P

What was more surprising to me is how quickly they made up.  They had been feuding on Twitter and Kimura had stolen Act's rum.  Then doused her with it.

• 3 weeks later...