DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

On 5/19/2017 at 0:14 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Judging by attire, from Kana Produce on 2/25/14. Kana liked doing... unusual things for her own produced shows.

I have no problem accusing Kana of stealing this idea from me.  But I really can't prove that she had any interaction with the person I suggested it to.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:38 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea, that is where I stole those itty pictures from. But it doesn't have as much actual information as I would have hoped, considering someone is still paying for the domain/content to stay up 12 years later.

Fun fact: I believe Sakura Hirota is paying for the hosting.  She used to have her booking schedule and profile page linked to it, IIRC.

I think that was many people's theory when Arisa quit JWP last year, that she would be in the tournament. Which turned out not to be the reason but both of them fit the mold of what they'd probably want in the tournament. I don't think they'd sign either long term unless they do plan on doing a separate women's show like they did with 205 Live, but both would be good candidates for the tournament.

• 2 weeks later...

In a not shocking development since it never felt true in the first place, Dave is now saying that Mayu Iwatani is not going to retire. So looks like Stardom is really going to strap the rocket to her back, which I think is a fine decision as long as she doesn't break herself as she bumps around the ring. They don't have too much of a choice at the moment but it should get them through the year anyway as she is popular enough. Then they get Yoko Bito back at some point, who I am not personally a big fan of but she's an established upper mid-carder/main event level. I wonder if they will pocket the Kairi/Io money to get them through potentially slower times, use it to coerce some foreigners to stay longer, or use native wrestlers of high enough caliber to help at the top of the card.

I finally watched an Ice Ribbon event and I am fascinated by Team DATE. Team DATE is a group of four sisters (they call them sisters so I assume they are, but can't confirm) with MMA backgrounds, between the ages of 14 and 20. All of them have at least a couple MMA fights (the 14 year old only amateur fights), but for smaller MMA promotions. Even though they are young, I think people are so fascinated either by their backgrounds or because they are sisters, but they are already getting some press. They are featured in both the latest LADYS RING (having the back cover) as well as the Weekly Pro Women's Wrestling Edition that came out on Monday.

They weren't great on the show I watched, but it was their second career match. I'm not sure if they are more focused on MMA or wrestling, but if they stick around, they will likely make an impact sooner than later. The 14 year old was going toe to toe with Tsukasa Fujimoto in the main event, so Ice Ribbon is going to push them for sure.

I think everyone under that company umbrella takes the surname Date for whatever reason. Here's a Sherdog thread about the oldest Date, Hana: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/hana-date-fights-in-a-pink-tutu.3208865/

It is entirely possible that these four in particular are sisters though but it's all being done in a weird kayfabe sort of way: http://s-entertainment.info/

Also 235 just "graduated" from Ice Ribbon so that's a spot in the midcard that needs filling.

50 minutes ago, lostinube said:

I think everyone under that company umbrella takes the surname Date for whatever reason. Here's a Sherdog thread about the oldest Date, Hana: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/hana-date-fights-in-a-pink-tutu.3208865/

It is entirely possible that these four in particular are sisters though but it's all being done in a weird kayfabe sort of way: http://s-entertainment.info/

Also 235 just "graduated" from Ice Ribbon so that's a spot in the midcard that needs filling.

Yea I had found them all on Tapology, its uh quite a big gym or they don't update very often. But yea I couldn't get a solid feel on if they were legitimately sisters.

Sakura Hirota is making her grand return at the Wave 10th Anniversary show at Ota-ku Gym on 8/12.  If you're thinking that her match is the one you're least looking forward to, another match announced is GAMI vs Chigusa.

49 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Yea I had found them all on Tapology, its uh quite a big gym or they don't update very often. But yea I couldn't get a solid feel on if they were legitimately sisters.

Yeah, it's like Muay Thai fighters using the name of their gym in their ring name.

I hate the way they work on Ice Ribbon shows, honestly. Deteriorating what they came into the company with to just be like every other girl is just a dumb move to me. Those contrived kicks have to go

The Nanae Takahashi Vanity Promotion had a really good show on 5/24. I liked that even though it aired on TV, they didn't clip the matches. OZ and Stardom are both really bad about clipping matches even when in theory there is time to show it all, so I liked that SEAdLINNNG instead cut promo packages and entrances of the earlier matches so they wouldn't have to cut any of the in-ring action itself. Both Hiroyo Matsumoto/Arisa Nakajima and Yoshiko/Rina Yamashita were really good, I preferred the former but can't go wrong with either.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

The Nanae Takahashi Vanity Promotion had a really good show on 5/24. I liked that even though it aired on TV, they didn't clip the matches. OZ and Stardom are both really bad about clipping matches even when in theory there is time to show it all, so I liked that SEAdLINNNG instead cut promo packages and entrances of the earlier matches so they wouldn't have to cut any of the in-ring action itself. Both Hiroyo Matsumoto/Arisa Nakajima and Yoshiko/Rina Yamashita were really good, I preferred the former but can't go wrong with either.

No idea about anyone else but we have zero to do with any editing that goes on Samurai TV. They do it all in house. Someone that works for the company that runs Korakuen Hall and Sumo Hall puts together Korakuen video packages that air on Samurai. 

And in case anyone just never knew or whatever, Samurai sends a camera man to 95% of our shows, I am sure it is the same for other groups to use for their nightly news. 

5 minutes ago, we.are.stardom said:

No idea about anyone else but we have zero to do with any editing that goes on Samurai TV. They do it all in house. Someone that works for the company that runs Korakuen Hall and Sumo Hall puts together Korakuen video packages that air on Samurai. 

And in case anyone just never knew or whatever, Samurai sends a camera man to 95% of our shows, I am sure it is the same for other groups to use for their nightly news. 

Yea that is why I was so surprised, don't think I've ever seen a non-live wrestling show on Samurai TV or GAORA that the beginning matches weren't all clipped to hell. One of the few benefits of Nico Nico shows, the VQ is worse but they tend to be complete.

So good news Kagetsu is back in Stardom. Bad news she is back with Oedi Tai.

I am really really sick of Oedi Tai, it ran it's course a while ago and honestly their comedic hijinks limit Kagetsu's matches. I remember a high speed tittle match against Mayu, and another match against Io that were hurt by too much interference. 

Also Matsumoto , Kyona, Yoneyama, and Natsuko Tora  mad e a stable called Team Jungle . I can only hope this means they will book Yoneyama in a more serious role. 

11 hours ago, Dshuks said:

So good news Kagetsu is back in Stardom. Bad news she is back with Oedi Tai.

I am really really sick of Oedi Tai, it ran it's course a while ago and honestly their comedic hijinks limit Kagetsu's matches. I remember a high speed tittle match against Mayu, and another match against Io that were hurt by too much interference. 

Also Matsumoto , Kyona, Yoneyama, and Natsuko Tora  mad e a stable called Team Jungle . I can only hope this means they will book Yoneyama in a more serious role. 

I think Oedo Tai should have disbanded after Kyoko retired. Doesn't mean some of the wrestlers left couldn't have then formed up to create a new stable, but Kyoko and Act were the two that made the stable what it was and with both gone there wasn't really a good reason to keep it going.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'm guessing its just easier/cheaper branding.

Oh its definitely easier, doesn't mean I have to like it ;) It doesn't really bother me, just comes across as a bit lazy and not creative. When a leader of a faction leaves, unless there is a really clear #2, it generally feels pretty uninspired if the faction continues and it definitely has felt pretty lackluster the last few months.

Which circles back around to Stardom not liking to have native Freelancers holding their bigger singles titles, Meiko is the only one to hold either title in the promotion's existence. With the 'rise' of Konami, Hana, and Kagetsu I hope that changes. Its not that I don't understand their reasoning for that, I just hope it doesn't hold back some of the young stars they use.

I am glad to see Hiroyo Matsumoto taking over the Joshi world. When I first got into Joshi she mostly had success as a tag team wrestler, but I always enjoyed her matches and thought if she wasn't a Freelancer she'd have more championships and big wins. Now she has lots of titles, I mentioned back in January that if any wrestler could challenge Io as top Joshi wrestler this year it was Hiroyo and she is definitely making her case.

• Like 1

Mayu finally won the red belt yesterday.

Interestingly in other news Io said today that she's been suffering from neck issues and is taking time out to get treatment. I'd imagine that confirms her not being in the WWE Women's tournament.

While I am not super thrilled with one wrestler having the top two titles, I assume they'll take care of that soon and they have enough other titles that there is still plenty to go around. Mayu isn't on Kairi's level with emotions, or on Io's level with in-ring skill, but is a good combination of both and I think she can be a quality 'ace' for the promotion. With Yoko Bito back and Kagetsu maybe finally getting the push she always deserved, I don't think Stardom is in as dire straights as some do. But I never did in the first place.

I do hope sometime that Stardom finds some interested athletes in the 17 to 21 range to join the promotion instead of only debuting children, since children are more likely to flutter away, but I think they are built fine for now.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:59 AM, JMTD said:

Mayu finally won the red belt yesterday.

Interestingly in other news Io said today that she's been suffering from neck issues and is taking time out to get treatment. I'd imagine that confirms her not being in the WWE Women's tournament.

I never thought she'd be in the tournament, but I still don't know what level of 'work' this is. Is it legitimately bad enough she needs a break, or does she want to heal up before going to WWE? WWE doesn't really mess around with head and neck injuries, so if its serious it may jeopardize her going to WWE. This is a bit of a 'lull' for Stardom in their schedule leading up to the GP, in fact Io did the exact same thing last year, taking July off due to injury. My guess would be she could wrestle if needed, but wants to let some lingering issue clear up.