Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

On 3/27/2017 at 10:55 PM, odessasteps said:

Reading Dave's mini bio of Toyota in the new observer made me nostalgic for mid 90s AJW.

I still haven't read it yet but I personally can't wait until he gives the full bio when she retires in November. He had good analysis on Observer Radio. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody watched the March Seadlinnng? The tag was pretty good, I thought, but I really liked the main event. Sareee and Yoshiko complement each other really well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess my gimmick is popping in here and just recommending matches while staying out bigger picture discussions cuz I have much less context than most of y'all, but I kinda think the 3/5 Stardom tag title match is like MOTYC, really, really awesome. Jungle Kyona and Hojo, whose February match I also really liked, just lay into each other. And Matsumoto playing big sis to Kyona works just great.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Will definitely check it out. I loved their singles match and the set-up afterwards was pretty great with Matsumoto getting all emotional and stuff with Kyona's eagerness and sincerity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

El Rey posted this one on their youtube channel. Io's dive is ECW-level  nuts. She takes a real beating, too. (Plus, did you see the marks on the other two girls when they came out at the end? These Stardom gals didn't mess around with this dude, and he didn't hold back.)

Good stuff. I wish it wasn't so dark in the room, though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nofuture said:

If you get a chance, check out the Konami/Hojo match.  Great break out performance by Konami and another stellar one by Hojo.  She's had a really good year so far.

What's the date on that one?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nofuture said:

If you get a chance, check out the Konami/Hojo match.  Great break out performance by Konami and another stellar one by Hojo.  She's had a really good year so far.

This doesn't shock me to hear considering how good their first match was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to the Stardom show yesterday.  Had a debut of a new pre-teen by the name of Hanan.  She has a proto-Maekawa thing going.  Jessica Havok had a five minute squash of Natsuko. (Has she been in Japan before?) Kris and Azumi had a nice little title match.  If Io is going to WWE, she didn't slow down on her craziness.  Poor Mayu seems like she's really having trouble.  I think Oedo Tai tried to recruit her and she was teasing joining up.  It was something seeing Sumie Sakai again after all these years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2017 at 1:35 PM, Eivion said:

How was Kyona/Matsumoto vs. QQ?

It was ok, basically HZK the only straggler, I picked a bad place to sit, the config of 1st Ring is a little different from the last time I went.  It's too bad that Kyona isn't 4 inches taller or she'd have a much higher ceiling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

It was ok, basically HZK the only straggler, I picked a bad place to sit, the config of 1st Ring is a little different from the last time I went.  It's too bad that Kyona isn't 4 inches taller or she'd have a much higher ceiling.

Height isn't as much of an issue in Stardom, intentionally or not they seem to attract tiny wrestlers. Io and Kairi are the same height and Chihiro (who I would consider her generational rival) is only an inch taller. She won't be able to go full hoss but so many Joshi stars are short I don't think that will be an issue as she still can throw around just about anyone she has faced. She may have some other issues that keep her from the top, but that's another story.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eivion said:

That is a bit disappointing to hear. I was hoping it was good after the wonderful match where Kyona & Matsumoto won the belts.

HZK spent way more time in the ring than Shirai.  At least it felt that way.  But even still, Shirai still did her crazy dives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Height isn't as much of an issue in Stardom, intentionally or not they seem to attract tiny wrestlers. Io and Kairi are the same height and Chihiro (who I would consider her generational rival) is only an inch taller. She won't be able to go full hoss but so many Joshi stars are short I don't think that will be an issue as she still can throw around just about anyone she has faced. She may have some other issues that keep her from the top, but that's another story.

It feels like this generation is smaller on the average then the last one.

What issues do you think might keep Kyona from going to the top?

Just now, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

HZK spent way more time in the ring than Shirai.  At least it felt that way.  But even still, Shirai still did her crazy dives.

That would explain it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Eivion said:

It feels like this generation is smaller on the average then the last one.

What issues do you think might keep Kyona from going to the top?

Not based off her abilities, its just that Stardom is about a 80/20 split (at best) between having their top stars be wrestlers and idols, and they haven't built up Kyona like that at all. I mean I can't see current Kyona lying naked in a bed with only a belt covering her, which obviously isn't a requirement in most promotions but has been the norm for Stardom and for Rossy's promotions in the past.

I'm not judging that, that is their identity, but it makes me think someone like Kyona will always be more the tag champion/upper midcard type and not the "Ace", unless they do a dramatic shift in how they portray her. Yoshiko was the exception so its not impossible, I think its just harder to reach the top of Stardom without also doing the photobooks, photoshoots, etc. as that is probably a solid % of their revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Not based off her abilities, its just that Stardom is about a 80/20 split (at best) between having their top stars be wrestlers and idols, and they haven't built up Kyona like that at all. I mean I can't see current Kyona lying naked in a bed with only a belt covering her, which obviously isn't a requirement in most promotions but has been the norm for Stardom and for Rossy's promotions in the past.

I'm not judging that, that is their identity, but it makes me think someone like Kyona will always be more the tag champion/upper midcard type and not the "Ace", unless they do a dramatic shift in how they portray her. Yoshiko was the exception so its not impossible, I think its just harder to reach the top of Stardom without also doing the photobooks, photoshoots, etc. as that is probably a solid % of their revenue.

Ah, I can your point on this to some extent. I just feel Kyona has the charisma, and beyond that, they don't really have much of a choice if Io, Kairi, & Mayu are all going to be gone before the year is out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JML said:

She said she will still train and will come back when she is ready. 

I saw, but any break is sad for me personally since she is a big part of several promotions, and breaks can be anywhere from a month to forever so who knows if/when she'll be back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...