DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Problem with a lot of the ROH girls  specifically the heels like Hendrix and Havok is that they rely a lot on their personality , and trash talking the crowd to get over and mask their in ring deficiencies . Which as we saw with Blanchard doesn't really work with the Japanese joshi crowd. 

Nothing has really popped for me yet in 2017. I really enjoyed Hikaru Shida and Syuri vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto and Kagetsu in OZ Academy on 1/25 which is my favorite match of the year so far, but nothing else has really stuck in my memory. Granted, since most promotions do big "year end" shows, January tends to be the flattest month so its not too surprising. I am trying to watch events from at least six different promotions per month to make sure I am not missing anything, but so far all I've learned is that I love Mil Clown.

I'm glad Kris won. Kaegstu and Mayu both should be going for bigger belts. I'm guessing this means Momo probably would have own the title had she not been injured. Anyways I think that is the lowest number they have drawn at Korakuen which is a shame to see. This was honestly one of the better cards they've had going in the last couple of years. Shayna was one of Io's better built defenses as well. Hopefully things are better next time. All I know is that I'm looking forward to Kairi/Kyona.

On paper, it has the looks of being one of the better Stardom shows this year, at least lined up with my biases. I like Kyona and Shayna a lot so seeing them in singles title matches should be fun, Konami is one of my favorites and they kinda shoved all the wrestlers I don't think are very good in one match so they didn't impact the rest of the card.

Kellie Skater retiring isn't a surprise since it has been rumored for awhile, but its still sad for me as she has always been friendly online and was fun to watch in the ring.

Weekday, plus doing a Korakuen show in 2 weeks for Io's anniversary, then having another Korakuen show less than 2 weeks after that. Not a good plan

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

I'm glad Kris won. Kaegstu and Mayu both should be going for bigger belts. I'm guessing this means Momo probably would have own the title had she not been injured. Anyways I think that is the lowest number they have drawn at Korakuen which is a shame to see. This was honestly one of the better cards they've had going in the last couple of years. Shayna was one of Io's better built defenses as well. Hopefully things are better next time. All I know is that I'm looking forward to Kairi/Kyona.

Night 1 for the GP in 2015 drew 650, so it's the 2nd worse

Ah, didn't remember that one. Still feels a bit worse in this case since this was a big show with all the singles titles defended. I had completely forgotten about Io's anniversary show being so close. Didn't realize there was another Korakuen so close after it.

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Ah, didn't remember that one. Still feels a bit worse in this case since this was a big show with all the singles titles defended. I had completely forgotten about Io's anniversary show being so close. Didn't realize there was another Korakuen so close after it.

Yeah no real main event confirmed when they did that show but it ended up being Kairi/Chelsea, it definitely is much worse here, and throwing all 4 of the singles titles(2 titles too many) was a sign that they were trying real hard to sell this show. I actually thought when they had booked 3, this was some panic planning like Mayu wasn't gonna be on that show, and Stardom without Mayu did under 925 last month. Took me a bit to realize what they were doing.

I think its the same with NOAH having the same deal of having too many shows in a short time and it's hurting, then again Shinkiba shows are no longer selling out after that short sellout period it seems

All I know is Io's title reign has gone way too long and the "heel "turn"" has made no difference to anything she's doing

1 hour ago, Hoope said:

Yeah no real main event confirmed when they did that show but it ended up being Kairi/Chelsea, it definitely is much worse here, and throwing all 4 of the singles titles(2 titles too many) was a sign that they were trying real hard to sell this show. I actually thought when they had booked 3, this was some panic planning like Mayu wasn't gonna be on that show, and Stardom without Mayu did under 925 last month. Took me a bit to realize what they were doing.

I think its the same with NOAH having the same deal of having too many shows in a short time and it's hurting, then again Shinkiba shows are no longer selling out after that short sellout period it seems

All I know is Io's title reign has gone way too long and the "heel "turn"" has made no difference to anything she's doing

I apologize if this sounds stupid but In all honesty in some ways it seems like Io staying  was bad for Stardom in some ways. When it looked like Io was leaving Stardom actually seemed to have some direction and urgency  , with Io turning heel, and Mayu being positioned to beat her in the spring.  

Now that Io is staying for the foreseeable  future, they seem to have fallen back into a rut of  Io's directionless  title reign, and queen's quest hasn't really done anything and aren't even really heels. 

Not sure about directionless. Pretty sure the only reason Io is still champ now is because Hiroyo became Oz's champ. Io is still probably losing the belt some time in the spring. She just also happens to be sticking around a while. QQ aren't so much heels opposed to a different philosophy. They mainly haven't done anything because Momo's injuring threw them off. Its clear she was likely the one who was winning the High Speed belt off of Mayu, and they were already Artist champs.

1 hour ago, Dshuks said:

I apologize if this sounds stupid but In all honesty in some ways it seems like Io staying  was bad for Stardom in some ways. When it looked like Io was leaving Stardom actually seemed to have some direction and urgency  , with Io turning heel, and Mayu being positioned to beat her in the spring.  

Now that Io is staying for the foreseeable  future, they seem to have fallen back into a rut of  Io's directionless  title reign, and queen's quest hasn't really done anything and aren't even really heels. 

Nothing to do with Io not leaving, everything to do with Io not changing up anything and still being champion. Everything in Stardom is start here then stop a month later, rush this and that, just throw a title match over it that'll keep things fresh(then it doesn't). Basically everything in Stardom is directionless, just a bunch of filler, no big stories, no solid pull ins, fresh exciting matches are maybe 2 or 3 a month if lucky, and it's been like that for over a year(maybe more) apart from Kairi's downgraded to hell character arc vs Santana that I really don't wanna remember. Io is a big part in that, but not the sole reason.

As for Mayu, I'd rather she just leave like some have either jokingly or than her just win the Cinderella tournament for a god damn 3rd time, enough with that. 

Even though I didn't love Azumi joining, its hard to blame Stardom for QQ getting off to a rocky start when Momo's injury threw things off since I think she was the one that was going to be the biggest "rub" in the group. Io isn't really a heel in the traditional sense of the term, more promotions are getting away from the classic heel/face dynamic. Even Oedo Tai, who act more like heels since they often cheat to win, are more a fun loving group than an evil group.

Looks like the show airs Sunday on Samurai TV so we'll find out shortly how the matches were. Mid-week show throws off Stardom-World's schedule a bit, not sure when they will have the whole show available.

The whole "she's not really a heel" deal just emphasizes the frustrating ordeal with Stardom and Io's beyond staleness. She's legit the least interesting person in her entire faction, counting the one injured and the comedy kid they just thrown into the group

Purely from current booking and angles or whatever Stardom and Sendai are among the most stale, maybe OZ but they at least are trying with a younger wave in the title picture so I'd still have them above those 2. Who else would be with them? IR with the new(er) champ and Yamashita as a fresh opponent and rival booked? SEAdLINNNG with the best feud going right now? Everyone else has something different going on and stuff to get hyped for and look forward to. What do I have with Io after 430 days? One Kagetsu match, just maybe? Kyona getting a title shot was like a warm breeze just for the white belt to get a half competent worker to challenge for it.

Match wise only the before mentioned Sendai and Oz are even close.

1 hour ago, Hoope said:

The whole "she's not really a heel" deal just emphasizes the frustrating ordeal with Stardom and Io's beyond staleness. She's legit the least interesting person in her entire faction, counting the one injured and the comedy kid they just thrown into the group

Io is the best female worker in the business (and even if you don't agree, you can't argue that she's not among the best). She's not even close to being stale.

source.gif

12 minutes ago, JMTD said:

Io is the best female worker in the business (and even if you don't agree, you can't argue that she's not among the best). She's not even close to being stale.

Hide contents

source.gif

Best, maybe back in the 1st half of the year, but now that's a stretch. It's a deep ocean and there's fish like Yoshiko, Arisa and Tsukushi outworking her anyway. One of the best in tags right now, but just having the same formula singles matches that can only be "just good" cuz you've seen it again and again in the same order despite her heel but not really a heel turn is pulling her away from that.

19 minutes ago, Hoope said:

Best is a stretch. It's a deep ocean and there's fish like Yoshiko, Arisa and Tsukushi outworking her anyway. One of the best in tags right now, but just having the same formula singles matches that can only be "just good" cuz you've seen it again and again in the same order is pulling her away from that.

Don't agree what so ever, she's not only the best female worker in the business IMO but one of the best workers period. For some bizarre reason a few people seem to have a dislike for her and Stardom in general. Nobody delivers on a high quality level that she does consistently bar possibly two/three women (Satomura being one of those). Tsukushi better than Io? Seriously? Yoshiko? Come on man.. It's not even close to being a stretch, take away your clear dislike for her because the idea that she's not among the best females working in the business right now is bizarre. 

56 minutes ago, Hoope said:

Purely from current booking and angles or whatever Stardom and Sendai are among the most stale, maybe OZ but they at least are trying with a younger wave in the title picture so I'd still have them above those 2. Who else would be with them? IR with the new(er) champ and Yamashita as a fresh opponent and rival booked? SEAdLINNNG with the best feud going right now? Everyone else has something different going on and stuff to get hyped for and look forward to. What do I have with Io after 430 days? One Kagetsu match, just maybe? Kyona getting a title shot was like a warm breeze just for the white belt to get a half competent worker to challenge for it.

I'm not sure how giving someone a belt 2+ years later than when they should have won it is better than Io as champ. Sera isn't nearly as good as Io, and Io has new challengers all the time. Mayu is the only repeat and that match had actual build and story going in. Same with her most recent challenge. What feud does Seadlinnng have going on right now? And is it interesting because its good or because they have so few a shows that you can actually see that it hasn't become stale yet? What does Diana, JWP, Marvelous, & WAVE have going on right now that is something to get hyped for? I'm not even saying that no one has anything there, but this really seems more like a weird beef with Stardom & Io than anything legitimate.

I'm honestly curious what it would take to make Stardom interesting to you?