DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned is SEAdLINNNG's last two shows weren't taped for TV (as far as I know). So I hope that if they are signing new wrestlers that they have at least gotten that sorted out, I don't know how airing on Nico works but lots of small promotions do so I hope they will put their new shows on there. If they continue not having their events air anywhere and don't sell the events online, they won't be able to rise too much above Diana level since only 700 people will be able to watch them every two months.

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv289129285?ref=sharetw

Their recent show will air on nicopro on the 11th.

12 hours ago, Eivion said:

I have trouble believing that since Act herself mentioned in an interview being unsure why Yoshiko shot on her, and Stardom themselves had several wrestlers begging Yoshiko not to retire. There is literally no reason to sell that as a story.

Yeah, I'm not believing it either - just like the bit saying SEAdLINNNG's money is coming from Diana's ownership group in Kawasaki, but I haven't had time to look into it (been busy with a move and getting stuff together in my new place).  There's some other rumors going around the interwebs as well, like the guy who owns JWP is being ousted by Bolshoi, the LADY'S RING magazine is leasing/buying the old JWP dojo (which may or may not have come true - Makoto posted a video on her Twitter of the REINA girls training in there), and stuff like that.

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

Unfortunately Momo Watanabe was injured during training and will be out for months. In general this sucks, but I was liking how she progressing in QQ so this even more disappointing to hear.

For some reason, just recently too, every time I see Momo Watanabe's name, I read it as Momo Nakanishi.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2017 at 11:58 PM, Kevin Wilson said:

That's good. I guess the December show will just be lost in the abyss. Semi-Main of that show looked really good.

SamuraiTV aired highlights on Battlemen News so somebody has tape of it. I was actually looking forward to the 20 minute draw with Ayako Hamada & Ryo Mizunami vs Hiroyo Matsumoto & Syuri. 

So jWP is closing down in April apparently, and Bolshoi and the rest will be forming a new promotion in August. 

I mean it's kind of sad to see JWP the last relic of the glory days of Joshi  close down what seems like permanently. the truth is they really have not relevant  been in the joshi landscape for a while, and Nakajima leaving just made things  even worse.  

I don't get the point of starting a new promotion their current roster sucks , and  the Joshi scene is filled with too many small promotions. 

52 minutes ago, Dragonzombie said:

Seems the name and the main title won't be used again for the next company to come out of this.

Correct, it looks like they're going with the name "Pure Joshi Puroresu/Pure Women's Wrestling."  It fits with the whole "Pure Dream" booking company that was created last month.  Now, there's a lot we don't know about this whole deal (and may never know, honestly), but I'd hazard to guess that Arisa's leaving of the promotion played into this a fair bit, as did things in the month or so prior.  JWP seemed to not have a lot of money and didn't tour very much - only REINA and Diana toured less.  I'm surprised that Bolshoi didn't try to get the JWP name to keep it going, since it has so much history behind it.  It will be interesting to see what the JWP roster does in terms of bookings in that four month April to August period where they have no promotion behind them, just the Pure Dream booking group.  I'm also interested to know who's putting up the money for this new promotion, but that's just me.  Being a zombie fed right off the bat because they're running on a shoestring budget would not look good.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AntonioDAMAN said:

Correct, it looks like they're going with the name "Pure Joshi Puroresu/Pure Women's Wrestling."  It fits with the whole "Pure Dream" booking company that was created last month.  Now, there's a lot we don't know about this whole deal (and may never know, honestly), but I'd hazard to guess that Arisa's leaving of the promotion played into this a fair bit, as did things in the month or so prior.  JWP seemed to not have a lot of money and didn't tour very much - only REINA and Diana toured less.  I'm surprised that Bolshoi didn't try to get the JWP name to keep it going, since it has so much history behind it.  It will be interesting to see what the JWP roster does in terms of bookings in that four month April to August period where they have no promotion behind them, just the Pure Dream booking group.  I'm also interested to know who's putting up the money for this new promotion, but that's just me.  Being a zombie fed right off the bat because they're running on a shoestring budget would not look good.

They're going to be a zombie promotion regardless , because they don't have a legitimate marketable  ace, or anything to separate them from other joshi promotions. 

3 hours ago, AntonioDAMAN said:

As long as it breaks even, it should be fine. 

I mean most promotions aren't really 'necessary' but I imagine after being a promoter/boss it isn't easy to just go back to being an every day Freelancer. If they have a backer it isn't really hurting anything, they will just use the same pool of wrestlers that the other promotions use.

So some good news Stardom has booked Kyona vs Kairi for the white belt, and Bito vs Konami for their next Korakuen show. I'm also hoping mayu will be healthy in time for the show so they can do her vs HZK, in place of Momo. 

In not so good news Azumi has joined Queens quest , which is just kind of a head scratcher. Azumi is too small to be taken seriously, and really is not as good as she should be for the amount of experience she has. Arisu has quickly jumped ahead of her.  I liked my idea of having Konami join queens quest better.  

Honestly, I don't find Arisu much better than Azumi. She makes more sense than Arisu for personality. Had she been two years older I would have suggested her before anyone else. QQ is supposed to be more another ideal for Stardom so an outsider like Konami wouldn't really work.

I am looking forward though to Konami/Bito & Kairi/Kyona. The latter should easily be the best match Kairi has had for the belt since the Chelsea defense with all the potential to really be her best defense if it goes well.

I don't like the Azumi jump either, but Momo's injury put them in a tough spot since their roster is so thin in the middle. Its a home-grown stable so they weren't going to use a Freelancer, and really no wrestler on their roster made sense. But they didn't want to keep it as just a tag team. I'm not sure what I would have done in that situation. Azumi hasn't really progressed much, I know she is young but she's really done nothing to be part of what is in theory the main "heel" stable. She is so small that she can't be taken seriously, and as of two months ago she wasn't even the top "rookie" in the promotion per the promotion. Just last month she was losing to rookie Natsuko Tora in the opener.

As long as they keep using Konami I won't complain too loudly, but it will probably just mean one more skippable match as I can't see Azumi suddenly improving enough to be seen as a real threat to any current mid-carder or Gaijin.

On 2/11/2017 at 1:41 PM, .STAP said:

Yoshiko has saved joshi. I knew she could do it.

I liked how she basically did a street fighting thug bumrush on her opponent and even got warned for roughhouse tactics. Even in reality, Yoshiko stays in character. Still doesn't beat Hotta running the ropes though.

How long until Arisa makes her mma debut?

Now, the first ever WOMEN OF HONOR camp will be held to search for the next great WOMEN OF HONOR stars as well as two competitors who may earn a tour of Japan with STARDOM!

This all-day camp is for female competitors only and will take place on Saturday March 18th from 9AM to 6PM at the ROH DOJO in Bristol, PA. Additionally, portions of the camp will be filmed and broadcast on STARDOM WORLD!

AT LEAST one female wrestler who attends will be selected for a tour of Japan with Stardom, taking place from June 4th through August 13th, and all will be evaluated by both WOMEN OF HONOR and STARDOM decision makers!