DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

12 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Are you kidding, not with those bangs.  That's a straight babyface rookie hairdo.  Can't see her pulling off this look for a while.

Cs9bkkpVIAEZ6li.jpg

Idk if that's the case here when she works Stardom cause how much in storyline that the Rookies wanted to beat up Hana. I agree with Kevin that she will most likely be babyface rookie in Oz, JWP, that new W-1 Dojo brand called Pro Wrestling Ace, etc and will be a heel in Stardom. She has to fill in for her mom spot once she retires. 

On 11/14/2016 at 2:16 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

If that attendance figure is right, Oz Academy easily took over Sendai Girls' as highest attended Joshi event of the year. Glad to see Hiroyo get a big win, she deserves it. Looks like a great card, although I do wish Kaho didn't get pinned in seemingly every match she is in. Hopefully her excursion to Mexico goes well. Interesting pairings with Yoshiko teaming with Hashimoto.

Yeah the 2330 Oz did this year compared to the 2025 they did last year is a good sign. Sendai drawing two houses of 2,000 along with Ice Ribbon doing 1,552 for their anniversary show and Stardom having a steady attendance at Korakuen makes an argument that the Joshi scene is moving in a positive direction. 

I know people are going to say the attendances aren't legit but these are the only numbers we can go by unless someone from Japan is reporting the real numbers. 

Yea I mean all promotions probably fudge the numbers a bit but I haven't seen anything that indicates Joshi promotions or some Joshi promotions fudge them any more than others do. So an increase is still a positive indication, having Nico Nico show almost everything likely helps in getting new fans or at least keeping current fans engaged with the product.

Anyone know of a decent place for reviews for shows throughout the years? Before I was going off of FLIK's old blog which gave some nice insight into the feuds happening, but he stopped posting several years back so it ended around early 93 which I'm about to hit.

46 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Anyone know of a decent place for reviews for shows throughout the years? Before I was going off of FLIK's old blog which gave some nice insight into the feuds happening, but he stopped posting several years back so it ended around early 93 which I'm about to hit.

You probably know about him, but Quebrada is random with reviews. Even not in his official reviews, Mike will sometimes review events within his match listings.

Do PUNQ's reviews still exist anywhere on the net?

Oh, and the 11/9 Sendai Girls show is great.  You'll want to watch everything except the ubiquitous Alex Lee match.  Even the Eiger comedy match is a bit better than usual, because Hikaru Shida.  Also, it was clipped pretty hard.  C-Hash and Miyagi really came through in the main event, and I was a bit worried about them being able to pull off a Korakuen worthy main.  The semi-main is a great tag between Meiko & Ayako vs Aja & Hiroyo.  I'm a bit worried that DASH Chisako is becoming too enamored with the idea of being a hardcore wrestler, though.

I tried looking for PUNQ's reviews to no avail. If I recall correctly he kept them on one of those group sites that are now very dead.

I caught the Sendai show last night, really just for the final two matches. Both delivered, but I was especially pleased with the main. I kind of thought Cassandra might have more behind her than people realized, and it was nice to get that confirmed. It wasn't a great match, but she really stepped up in taking the lead.

53 minutes ago, 1JoshI said:

Do PUNQ's reviews still exist anywhere on the net?

Oh, and the 11/9 Sendai Girls show is great.  You'll want to watch everything except the ubiquitous Alex Lee match.  Even the Eiger comedy match is a bit better than usual, because Hikaru Shida.  Also, it was clipped pretty hard.  C-Hash and Miyagi really came through in the main event, and I was a bit worried about them being able to pull off a Korakuen worthy main.  The semi-main is a great tag between Meiko & Ayako vs Aja & Hiroyo.  I'm a bit worried that DASH Chisako is becoming too enamored with the idea of being a hardcore wrestler, though.

DASH has always been a Jeff Hardy mark. She's just living the dream.

From WON today:

As noted last week, after it was almost a sure thing Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo were WWE bound, they’ve both reconsidered and now are looking at staying and trying to build up Stardom. 

Let us hope this is true. FUCK PAUL LEVESQUE.

I only don't mind if Io leaves because she has done everything in Stardom. I'm fine if she stays, she will keep having great matches and I'll keep happily watching them. But she has been on top for so long there, they just have less fresh matches. Kairi still has more growing to do, it doesn't feel like her journey in Stardom has reached its peak yet.

I am in the process of starting the contemplating phase of making a Top 100 Joshi Wrestlers Ever List. I realize these are subjective and there is no right or wrong answer, my only concern is I'll accidentally leave off someone. I know I'll have Chigusa higher than most and Bull lower than most, but besides that my Top 10 should match most peoples even if the order is different.

My "gap" in viewing is like 1998 to 2009. Which I realize is a hell of a gap, that part of Joshi isn't talked about much so I've mostly been focusing on 1985 to 1995, then current day. I've seen matches here and there in that range, but not enough for example to get a good feel of how Manami Toyota was post her big AJW run. So while its impossible to watch everything, I do feel like I need to do a bit more in that era before diving too strong into it.

I think the hardest part of these lists is deciding where to put wrestlers still in their prime today. Has Io done enough to be on the list? Kana? If I put them on the list now and they have five to ten more years of wrestling, where would that put them then? I don't want to do only retired wrestlers since so many Legends are still wrestling, so its one of those things that no matter what I do with the current bigger stars someone will take exception to it.

8 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I am in the process of starting the contemplating phase of making a Top 100 Joshi Wrestlers Ever List. I realize these are subjective and there is no right or wrong answer, my only concern is I'll accidentally leave off someone. I know I'll have Chigusa higher than most and Bull lower than most, but besides that my Top 10 should match most peoples even if the order is different.

My "gap" in viewing is like 1998 to 2009. Which I realize is a hell of a gap, that part of Joshi isn't talked about much so I've mostly been focusing on 1985 to 1995, then current day. I've seen matches here and there in that range, but not enough for example to get a good feel of how Manami Toyota was post her big AJW run. So while its impossible to watch everything, I do feel like I need to do a bit more in that era before diving too strong into it.

I think the hardest part of these lists is deciding where to put wrestlers still in their prime today. Has Io done enough to be on the list? Kana? If I put them on the list now and they have five to ten more years of wrestling, where would that put them then? I don't want to do only retired wrestlers since so many Legends are still wrestling, so its one of those things that no matter what I do with the current bigger stars someone will take exception to it.

Obviously, this person has to go in at #1.

takakomasako0405-img450x600-1444629588al