DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I'd highly recommend Iwatani and Mochizuki vs. Kenou and Syuri from Hana Produce on 8/7. Even if you don't like IG matches, Syuri is more than able to hold her own since she is a legit MMA fighter and Iwatani was a good sympathetic babyface, plus they kept the action man vs. man or woman vs. woman for probably 80% of it. One of those rare matches you may not see again, since Stardom loans out their wrestlers more sparingly than other Joshi promotions (Kyoko must have pulled some strings). I was too lazy to check the last time a major Stardom wrestler did an IG match but it certainly is very unusual. 

15 hours ago, donsem43 said:

Go straight to the 7/24 JWP PureSlam show, skip 1:57:50 and watch the Best Friends vs. Team SEAdLINNNG main event. 25 minutes of pro wrestling nuclear warfare. 

Just finished watching this and I highly agree. If you liked the match with Best Friends vs Nanae and Emi Sakura from the Ice Ribbon Anniversary Show, this is up your alley. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The spot is at the end of the clip and looks crazy. 

UPDATE: Doctor says Hojo is fine but still sat out today's show. The injury didn't happen during the spot in question but some other time during the match.

Edited by donsem43
Injury update

On 9/9/2016 at 9:16 PM, donsem43 said:

Hojo missed today's, 9/9, show and is unconfirmed for Sunday, 9/11, show. 

Also, Courtney Stewart is out because she had to go home due to family circumstances. 

That is three foreigners this year that had to leave mid-tour for Stardom, for various personal reasons. The ones I know more about seem to be for legit and completely unrelated reasons, but that is a higher-than-normal percentage for gaijin wrestling for Japanese promotions. Off the top of my head I can't think of any in another promotion this year, but I don't follow promotions like DG and DDT very well to say with certainty.

The final is Tessa vs. Bito. I'm not happy with that. Tessa has been one of the weakest performers in the tournament. Hopefully her match with Io will change my mind. On the other hand it looks like we will get KLY vs. Io for the red belt which should be good. Their SWA title match was short but awesome.

It's not a good final but they ran out of options on the Red Stars side. With first, Ivelisse not making the trip, then Hojo getting hurt, Tessa comes off as Option B/C. Nobody is going to buy her beating Bito because she is someone who lucked into the final.

With Bito, I understand that they need another native in the main event mix but watching her in this tournament, especially her match with Iwatani, it clear that she's a solid but unspectacular worker. In order for her matches to reach that next level she needs her opponent to really step up. I don't she's someone you can consistently put in main events and expect high level matches. 

Still think it's weird that they did a tournament with a bunch of new foreigners.

One thing about Bito is that physically, she is bigger and more "imposing" than most of the Stardom wrestlers and definitely moreso than the rookies, so I can see why they'd want to push her.

Pushing Bito makes complete sense and something I support, but fans just need to get used to the fact she doesn't have the speed/ability of Iwatani/Hojo/Shirai and never will. She offers something different than them as she is more strike based and has an aura, but she isn't going to blow the roof away like the other three. I like her, it may just take getting used to having someone in the main event picture with a different style/build since that isn't what Stardom has had since early 2015 in a native wrestler.

What are you talking about? It took Mayu a good 4-5 years to get good. Bito doesn't even have two years of experience yet with a rather large sabbatical between the time she retired and when she returned. To claim she will never be that good is a bit much. Also I know why Bito is getting the push here. I think its probably a year too early, but with Stardom's current roster it makes sense to create another strong native. Bito would have almost certainly been in the ace spot had she not retired early in the first place anyways. My problem was more with Tessa being thrown into the final. Io would have done a better job getting something good out of Bito, but I can understand Stardom wanting to hold off. Its also rather obvious either Ivelisse or Kairi were supposed to be in the finals originally. I know why things are the way they are, its just disappointing is all.

Does anybody find it weird that neither the English Twitter account nor Courtney Stewart formally announced that she was leaving the tournament?

Not even a "hey, I'm sorry I can't complete  the rest of the tournament" tweet from her. Only the Japanese account announced that she was going to be out of the tournament because of what was loosely translated as "family misfortune".

9 hours ago, Eivion said:

What are you talking about? It took Mayu a good 4-5 years to get good. Bito doesn't even have two years of experience yet with a rather large sabbatical between the time she retired and when she returned. To claim she will never be that good is a bit much. Also I know why Bito is getting the push here. I think its probably a year too early, but with Stardom's current roster it makes sense to create another strong native. Bito would have almost certainly been in the ace spot had she not retired early in the first place anyways. My problem was more with Tessa being thrown into the final. Io would have done a better job getting something good out of Bito, but I can understand Stardom wanting to hold off. Its also rather obvious either Ivelisse or Kairi were supposed to be in the finals originally. I know why things are the way they are, its just disappointing is all.

I feel fully confident in my opinion from watching Bito early in her career vs. watching Iwatani early in her career that at the age of 29, Bito will never be magically more athletic and more of a natural in the ring. If she suddenly reaches the talent level of Hojo/Iwatani/Shirai than I will happily admit I was wrong. But it won't happen. We can re-visit this in a year if I remember ;) And Iwatani has been really good for years so I have no idea what you are talking about.

And just to be clear, I am a fan of Bito and Stardom needs more main-event level natives so its not the same three natives wrestling each other all the time, I have just accepted her for what she is which is a sometimes stiff striker. She offers something different than the rest which I think is a good thing, not everyone needs to be a 'five star' wrestler to be successful.

Iwatani was a lot worse with a similar amount of experience. I don't even think she has been good for two years yet. Athleticism was also a big problem for her. I don't see why its so unbelievable for Bito to get better. This feels weird as I'm actually kind of indifferent towards Bito.

The odds aren't in Bito's favor though given her age BUT pro-wrestling is weird since some get better drastically later in their careers (though I'm trying to think of examples in Joshi and having a hard time). Right Bito is solid but is pretty much like Brandon Wheeden at QB (i.e. decent enough but to far along to develop his throwing arm to be a consistent a viable threat, let alone a starter).

James

On 9/12/2016 at 2:44 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

That is three foreigners this year that had to leave mid-tour for Stardom, for various personal reasons. The ones I know more about seem to be for legit and completely unrelated reasons, but that is a higher-than-normal percentage for gaijin wrestling for Japanese promotions. Off the top of my head I can't think of any in another promotion this year, but I don't follow promotions like DG and DDT very well to say with certainty.

Once upon a time, an American wrestler was booked for a(n) (unnamed) joshi promotion.  On her first day in Japan, she asked another wrestler where should could buy some weed.  On her second day in Japan, she was on a plane back to the US.

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

How old do you think Bito is?

I think we all know how old she is, Google is very user friendly. About the same as Hiromi. If you have an example of a Joshi wrestler that improved into and peaked in their 30s I am all ears, the odds are heavily against her and I prefer to be realistic than expect something that rare.

Kyoko Kimura, more to the point this is wrestling. Joshi specific or not many people get good later in their careers or still get good despite how late they come in age wise. Bito really isn't particularly old so her age feels like a ridiculous thing to hold against her.

So thanks to Seeing the JWP and Sendai teams at King of Trios this year, I started watching the Sendai shows from this year.  I've been enjoying them (Cassandra Miyagi doing Cassandra Miyagi things is fun and that tag match with Dash/KAORU vs Syuri/Hikaru Shida was nuts) I think the person I've been impressed the most with is Mika Iwata.  She was fun in the 4/9 tag match and she was not afraid to bring the kicks to Ayako on the 7/2 show.

I was just wondering what the more knowledgeable people on the board think of Iwata.