DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
13 minutes ago, DEAN said:

How was the Ryo Mizunami match?

So I'll give it a "your mileage may vary" warning, lol. It'll depend on your opinion of Miyako Matsumoto's antics. If you find her annoying, you might find it difficult to watch because she's all over the beginning and end. If you're like me and aren't bothered by Miyacoco, it was an enjoyable little ten minute match. I think this may have been one of Yukari Hosokawa's better performances, and there was a nice exchange between Itsuki Aoki and Mizunami in the middle.

14 hours ago, DEAN said:

How was the Ryo Mizunami match?

It was solid, I enjoyed it without thinking there was too much to write home about. Didn't get the big Miyacoco singsong entrance so I felt a little sad about that...

Meanwhile the top 2 matches we're absolutely grizzly in their ways. Prominence certainly put to rest any talk of being deathmatch Gatoh Move, the word that came to mind during that Suzuki/Kasai vs Fujita/Jack match was "gnarly". And Risa Sera against Takashi Sasaki was great too.

But yeah, they were deathmatch ass deathmatches. Fittingly Risa Sera got me back into deathmatches after over a decade away from them after her match with Rina Yamashita in Ice Ribbon's final Yokohama Bunka Gym show in August 2020 (first IR match with lighttubes IIRC) so I got exactly what I wanted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

It was solid, I enjoyed it without thinking there was too much to write home about. Didn't get the big Miyacoco singsong entrance so I felt a little sad about that...

Meanwhile the top 2 matches we're absolutely grizzly in their ways. Prominence certainly put to rest any talk of being deathmatch Gatoh Move, the word that came to mind during that Suzuki/Kasai vs Fujita/Jack match was "gnarly". And Risa Sera against Takashi Sasaki was great too.

But yeah, they were deathmatch ass deathmatches. Fittingly Risa Sera got me back into deathmatches after over a decade away from them after her match with Rina Yamashita in Ice Ribbon's final Yokohama Bunka Gym show in August 2020 (first IR match with lighttubes IIRC) so I got exactly what I wanted.

Yeah, I was sad about the lack of proper Miyacoco entrance as well. Maybe considering the environment she toned things down some? lol

I'm not into deathmatches, but I did at least want to watch the first show so I could say I supported Prominence's first proper show. And like... yeah, those were definitely deathmatches, they were 100% not toned down or anything. I don't think I'd watch again just because deathmatches aren't my thing, and I'll be waiting for Prominence to show up in other promotions, but if folks do enjoy deathmatches I think they'd be satisfied with what was presented as you were.

TJPW is the second biggest women wrestling promotion in Japan only because of their money backers. There will come a time when they will become more aggressive promotion wise after Covid is done with.

TJPW only really teams up with the other CyberFight brands and other western promotions. Most CyberFight staff see Bushiroad owned brands as direct competition.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, quackhell said:

? This tells me that I really need to check out more of Sakura's back catalog.

Emi Sakura was pretty dang great for a long time, so yes, yes you do.

NOMADS have announced the lineup for their first card, which happens on 20th May af Shinjuku FACE 

Tae Honma vs Momoka Hanazono
Kaori Yoneyama, Maika Ozaki & Makoto vs COLOR'S (Hikari Shimizu, Rina Amikura & Yuko Sakurai)
Kaho Kobayashi vs Hiroyo Matsumoto
ASUKA & Yuu vs SAKI & Saori Anou
Maya Yukihi & Rina Yamashita vs Miyuki Takase & Ryo Mizunami

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

NOMADS have announced the lineup for their first card, which happens on 20th May af Shinjuku FACE 

Kaori Yoneyama, Maika Ozaki & Makoto vs COLOR'S (Hikari Shimizu, Rina Amikura & Yuko Sakurai)

NOMADS is gonna rule.

FRWKZelacAEqe96?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

I'm on board with allllllll of this.

42 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I'm on board with allllllll of this.

Whole show looks great, but those top 2 matches are very very exciting.

Has anyone seen if the 2 Best Friends Produce Shows that are happening on the 2nd May are being shown online anywhere? Because these 2 cards look a lot of fun

Arisa Nakajima, Rina Yamashita & Tsukasa Fujimoto vs ASUKA, Makoto & Maya Yukihi
Haruka Umesaki & Miyuki Takase vs Tsukushi Haruka & YuuRI
Ibuki Hoshi vs Momoka Hanazono
Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) vs Hiroyo Matsumoto & Yoshiko)

Ayame Sasamura, Haruka Umesaki & Riko Kawahata vs Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) & Tsukushi Haruka
Misa Kagura vs Miyuki Takase
Hamuko Hoshi vs Hanako Nakamori
Best Friends (Arisa Nakajima & Tsukasa Fujimoto) vs Riko Kaiju & Yuki Mashiro

4 Best Friends matches in the space of probably 5 hours? Yeah, OK. (First is 3:30pm JST & the second is 6:30 JST so I'm assuming 2 hours max) And then other stuff.

With next week being Golden Week in Japan, the schedule is absolutely stacked. Ice Ribbon shows at both Korakuen & Yokohama Budokan (which has Nanae Takahashi & Hamuko Hoshi vs Fujimoto & Haruka in the main event, plus Haruka defends her ICE×∞ belt), Marvelous & Diana both have Korakuen shows, TJPW Yes! Wonderland with the POP & Princess Tag Titles on the line, Sendai Girls in Tokyo, & a big Stardom show with Thekla vs Iwatani, Black Desire vs FWC for the Goddesses titles & Tall Saya vs Maika for the Wonder belt. Plus a DDM vs God's Eye Elimination tag, those are usually good fun (also when did Konami get announced as part of God's Eye? I totally missed that)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Has anyone seen if the 2 Best Friends Produce Shows that are happening on the 2nd May are being shown online anywhere? Because these 2 cards look a lot of fun

They're happening at Ice Ribbon's dojo, right? That means Ice Ribbon's streaming/recording equipment is potentially in play.

I've probably averaged an hour of Joshi viewing per week for most years of my adult life, but I never watch any joshi feds in real time. Anyways I finally buckled down and gave STARDOM my ten bucks and I'm trying to play catch-up while simultaneously trying to remember which matches I've already watched illicitly on Chinese YouTube.

I feel like a few previously considered theories I've had are coming into sharper focus. Mainly that, for all the workrate and costumes and posturing, there's a really important X-factor in high-end joshi that has everything to do with crowd connection, physical charisma, staying present in the performative aspects of the artform, etc. And I think AZM and Tam Nakano significantly outpace the rest of the card in this regard just about every time I see them, they are phenomenal, I want them around all the time.

The other one is that the promotion needs more big girls, disrespectful judokas, and/or haircuts under 5 inches. I went on a Kagetsu binge a few years ago and her absence is very much noted. I've seen old Viper matches and I understand why Yoshiko isn't around to fill that role but there's a challenge when I go from watching the Dump -> Bull -> Aja heyday and there's nobody around to fill that incredibly important role. Suffice it to say I am down with young Koguma. Which also gets me to thinking - how fucking AWESOME is it gonna be when the core STARDOM roster comes back from failed WWE bids, five-year retirements, having kids, or whatever and end up being pissed-off fortysomethings? Like could you imagine if Utami Hayashishita shows up after a decade off looking like phase-two Chigusa; 40+ pounds on her, golf hair, a chip on her shoulder and leading some financially inadvisable indie fed? I would actually like her. And it may not happen to her but it's gonna happen to multiple members of this roster and I will be there with distinctly different red and white bells on.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Have you seen Yoshiko recently? She's gotten small, it's very strange & I think it's taken a little of her aura away (although she's not been back from her time off for too long so she could just be rusty, & if it makes her happier then cool)

Honestly, having a wide variety of body types being interesting is super true for all sorts of wrestling, men & women. If everyone is a jacked adonis or a bikini model then no one is. It's the old "everyone who meets Billy Gunn is stunned to realise how huge he is, because he was in the land of giants & next to Kane & The Big Show Billy Gunn was just a guy".

Even after Viper was gone, I thought Jamie Hayter added a bit of that variety as a more power based wrestler, shame she's gone now. With Japan opening up I'll be interested to see who Stardom decide to bring in from abroad. I'm assuming they will although I suppose the roster is quite large.

Edited by Kropotkin's Beard

Joshi over the years became more " visual" for many reasons. Customers demand, hygiene, selling more chekis, hard to get women to put on so much weight etc. I read they want Stardom to become even more visual.  TJPW is visual too but in the more pretty girl and idol culture sense. 

Even the mens promotions these days in Japan don't have much of those bulky types or rough face looking men.

Mr Takagi of CyberFight wants to do a more traditional Joshi promotion in the future. That includes the big women and the other downplayed arch types. They would also have more money to burn as well.

The new Stardom Rookie got into Pro Wres because of DragonGate

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/852927

Himeka pretty much was female Jumbo before she dropped that stuff. She did the Jumbo Knee in AJPW years ago. She brought up Stardom doesn't really have an ace.

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/853026

"Himeka herself was surprised at the "beauty sense" of the players after joining STARDOM.

"It's all amazing. They are particular about cosmetics, shampoo, and rinse, and they go to beauty salons many times. I am getting inspired not only by their wrestling matches but also in that aspect. I used to think I should go to the beauty salon once every 2 or 3 months, but now I go twice a month. They also make new ring gears so quickly. For other promotions, it's like, "a new gear for a big match once a year," but STARDOM has big matches every month, so there's a lot of opportunity to make new gears. I'm a slow person, and I've been wearing this gear for a year. Please look forward to my next title match ...... "

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 1