DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I wouldn't put too much into it just yet, too many rumors floating around and in the past HHH has been happy to announce when he signed someone to a contract. All Kana has said if my poor translation is correct is that she did not have a try out with the company. But I imagine we'll find out soon enough.

Kana's everything WWE doesn't want personality wise and in ring wise, but I think she has the it factor to be something special. I think she's basically going to be the Kenta they thought they hired. Meiko or Nanae would have been better fits politics and working wise.

I wouldn't put too much into it just yet, too many rumors floating around and in the past HHH has been happy to announce when he signed someone to a contract. All Kana has said if my poor translation is correct is that she did not have a try out with the company. But I imagine we'll find out soon enough.

I don't think they'd show her next to Ric Flair, with a (WWE legal approved) new name unless they've already signed her.  Unless that was a bad spelling job and she just happened to be in Brooklyn.

Her being signed doesn't make logical sense and at the same time her not being signed doesn't make logical sense. I don't even know if that makes sense. This entire thing is bizarre and fascinating. I said when they dug Becky out from whatever hole she was under that the only signing that could shock me and blow my mind more would be Kana and here we are. Regardless of if she's signed or not, last night was one of the weirdest wrestling things in a year overflowing with weird wrestling things.

WWE has shown people in the crowd before they didn't have signed to contracts, in the past HHH was really quick to announce things as generally they aren't a fan of speculation. We found out Liger was signed to a match when WWE told us, they don't normally do mysterious. Doesn't mean she wasn't there to talk to them of course but I'll believe she signed once WWE says something official.

Her being signed doesn't make logical sense and at the same time her not being signed doesn't make logical sense. I don't even know if that makes sense. This entire thing is bizarre and fascinating. I said when they dug Becky out from whatever hole she was under that the only signing that could shock me and blow my mind more would be Kana and here we are. Regardless of if she's signed or not, last night was one of the weirdest wrestling things in a year overflowing with weird wrestling things.

Becky was managing the Knights (Paige) in Shimmer and had just wrestling again. Not exactly a deep dark hole.

Those are "stickers" for the LINE chat app. It's by far the most popular chat app in Japan (not sure what is the most popular in the states. WhatsApp? facebook Messenger?) But even if someone stateside has LINE installed on their phone they might not be able to access the same set of stickers people in Japan can (and vice versa).

NOOOO!  Maybe some enterprising sort can make them real stickers.  I can put them on my textbooks at school.  (Full Disclosure: I'm years removed from being in school)

Sendai Girls have their own set now too.  And you can get them for the English version of LINE (still not sure about the Stardom ones). By the way, if anyone is going to spend a lot of time in Japan or communicates with people in Japan on a regular basis, I recommend getting LINE. Facebook is popular but not everyone has an account, same with Twitter.

You can get the Stardom ones in the English version, no problem.  There is also an Oz Academy set and as mentioned Sendai Girls.

Sweet. Just got the OZ ones (cuz Mio). Plus they are in the creator category, not the official one (although they are official) so they cost 50 yen, not 100 like most stickers.

For completists, NJPW, AJPW, Big Japan, Michinoku Pro, K-Dojo, Dragon Gate, W-1 and LLPW all have sets put out by them. There are sets for Aja Kong and Act Yasukawa but I'm not sure if they are officially put out by them or not. There's also a set called Joshi Pro-Wrestling that is supposed to be Kellie Skater, Hiroyo Matsumoto and Tomoka Nakagawa. There's a CMLL one too. Found all these using プロレス in the sticker search.

Per Stardom's official Facebook page:

Kris Wolf got concussed in her match with Io Shirai on Sunday, so she's on the shelf for at least a week.

What exactly is Kris Wolf's story? According to Cagematch she is a 31 year old from Chicago with one year of experience. How did somebody like that end up in Stardom? She certainly seems to be enjoying herself.

Per Stardom's official Facebook page:

Kris Wolf got concussed in her match with Io Shirai on Sunday, so she's on the shelf for at least a week.

What exactly is Kris Wolf's story? According to Cagematch she is a 31 year old from Chicago with one year of experience. How did somebody like that end up in Stardom? She certainly seems to be enjoying herself.

She was trained by Stardom (Fuka & Kimura in particular). I know there is an interview running around somewhere of how she ended up in Japan as an English teacher and eventually Stardom after seeing a few of their shows I think.

• 2 weeks later...

The year of people leaving, wrestlers come and go of course, just seems like a higher than usual number of Joshi wrestlers this year. Just off the top of my head this year Japan has lost from in-ring competition:

- Yoshiko ('retired')

- Yuna Manase (retired)
- Mio Shirai (retiring this year)
- Sendai Sachiko (retiring in January)
- Kana (left for WWE)
- Koguma ('retired')

- Shuu Shibutani (retired)
- Tomoka Nakagawa (retired)
- Sakura Hirota (at least temporarily retired)

That is a pretty good haul.