DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

There is such a fine line between looking like you are shooting and shooting, wrestlers have legit busted each other open in the past by accident when they were trying too hard to make it look real, but there is no real way of knowing if that is what happened here.  I  mean if you watch Act vs. Yoshiko from 2013 it opened in a very similar way, just without the actual damage.  Either way once the damage was done it should have been stopped which supports the notion that at least part if it was planned, if Yoshiko had just gone off on Act unexpectedly for no reason you'd have to hope that, knowing Act's medical condition, someone would have stepped in.

We'll know more soon as Stardom announces something.  If they announce Yoshiko is fired, then most likely it wasn't a planned angle at all and everyone else was just playing along to try to make an angle out of it since that is what wrestlers do.  If she is stripped of the title and given like a three month suspension then we can assume it was at least partly planned and it just went too far.

Steve Cox is doing some serious dick-wiggling on Tony Myers' FB over how great this was (I think, if you can translate whatever he meant by "K Fab days talent old school hard way the leasons of the ring...great for the bizz..love it.."). I kinda disagreed with him, but then I'm a dumb mark who's never stepped in the ring or whatever that line of attack is. I just can't see how anyone in an industry based on trust and cooperation could possibly look at this as a good thing.

Steve Cox is doing some serious dick-wiggling on Tony Myers' FB over how great this was (I think, if you can translate whatever he meant by "K Fab days talent old school hard way the leasons of the ring...great for the bizz..love it.."). I kinda disagreed with him, but then I'm a dumb mark who's never stepped in the ring or whatever that line of attack is. I just can't see how anyone in an industry based on trust and cooperation could possibly look at this as a good thing.

I have no idea how this is best for the buisness. With this fight they:

- Ensured at least one of their girls is going to be out for a while.

- Exposed the rest of the show as fake, since this was clearly a real fight. They also forced the promotion to admit their product is fake.

- Exposed a heel(Kimura) as not being very heelish, since she was the only one brave enough to stop this

- Made everyone minus Act and Kimura look absolutely horrible. Yoshiko surely lost some fans, Rossy looked like an inept promoter and Wada looked like a WWF Attitude Era ref for ineptness.

- Got bad press and upset fans

Not seeing the dollar signs with this one. Okay fine, maybe Act/Yoshiko might pop a house down the line but the costs to do that don't work out.

I agree, I think if it went one or two steps not as far it could have been ok for business, but how it ended up, no one is winning here.

This was posted at 420chan as on Alpha Female's Facebook.  I went to her Facebook (hours later) and I didn't see it anywhere, so please take it with a grain of salt.  Although it may have just been deleted (I know famous people do that), and it sounds too detailed for someone on chan to make up:

"Yoshiko is and always was a bully. Things like that happened all the time backstage/at training/ streets. Act loves wrestling and would continue to fight even she knows she will die! Stardom has two parties, the ones who are "old school" and love to fight and kind of think pro wrestling is real and the other side do not agree with them, but can't help it. Because guess what, the leaders like Takahashi and Natzuki having the mentality "if you can't take it, stay out!" Do I agree? NOT at all! Its a disgrace! This needs to stop! This is also a shame, because it affects the whole stardom rooster, but believe me not all of them are like that. I hope act has a speedy recovery. She will be back, there is no question about it! I worked for stardom a long time, I know what is going on. I know act, she is a real life hero! !

Many girls left, some didn't even debuted. Iroha is leaving soon. Asuka ramey left. My hope is that yoshiko will be banned forever. Nanae said she is having a surgery on her ankle soon and will be out for a month or so. That means that the other girls hopefully get the chance to change some things. I know from the chats with the girls that they are terrified, few really just want to quit! This is not wrestling I used to love!"

Honestly that makes sense.

I agree, I think if it went one or two steps not as far it could have been ok for business, but how it ended up, no one is winning here.

This was posted at 420chan as on Alpha Female's Facebook.  I went to her Facebook (hours later) and I didn't see it anywhere, so please take it with a grain of salt.  Although it may have just been deleted (I know famous people do that), and it sounds too detailed for someone on chan to make up:

"Yoshiko is and always was a bully. Things like that happened all the time backstage/at training/ streets. Act loves wrestling and would continue to fight even she knows she will die! Stardom has two parties, the ones who are "old school" and love to fight and kind of think pro wrestling is real and the other side do not agree with them, but can't help it. Because guess what, the leaders like Takahashi and Natzuki having the mentality "if you can't take it, stay out!" Do I agree? NOT at all! Its a disgrace! This needs to stop! This is also a shame, because it affects the whole stardom rooster, but believe me not all of them are like that. I hope act has a speedy recovery. She will be back, there is no question about it! I worked for stardom a long time, I know what is going on. I know act, she is a real life hero! !

Many girls left, some didn't even debuted. Iroha is leaving soon. Asuka ramey left. My hope is that yoshiko will be banned forever. Nanae said she is having a surgery on her ankle soon and will be out for a month or so. That means that the other girls hopefully get the chance to change some things. I know from the chats with the girls that they are terrified, few really just want to quit! This is not wrestling I used to love!"

Honestly that makes sense.

This is disappointing to hear, but yeah, definitely make sense with the departures of some girls and some never debuting.

Stardom still hasn't announced anything, but Tokyo Sports reported that Act has a broken left orbital socket, and the right eye (the one she had surgery on) is still too swelled up to check but they fear she may have a detached retina.  If those two things are true, regardless what happened, I don't think they could justify having Yoshiko still in the company.  Even if the promotion knew they were going to do something shoot-y (just hypothetically), with the injuries this serious there just isn't any real way to have her back.

I am guessing Stardom is waiting to gauge public outrage, and the seriousness of Act's injuries before making an announcement, obviously they've had plenty of time to meet by now so they are definitely waiting for a reason.

It also made the cover of Japanese Wrestling weekly magazine, so needless to say it is getting a fair amount of coverage in Japan.

WfI9feA.jpg

They are supposed to make an announcement tomorrow (the 25th).

On Yahoo Japan, both Act and Yoshiko are in the top ten for daily search rankings for people (with video of the incident coming in 15th for web searches).

And the cover to Weekly Pro-Wrestling is proving to be a controversial move too. Sucks because no woman has been on the cover by herself since Yuzuki Aikawa in January 2012 (Io Shirai shared a cover with Hiroshi Tanahashi earlier this year - and Aikawa shared one with Tanahashi in 2013).

I have no idea how this is best for the buisness. With this fight they:

- Ensured at least one of their girls is going to be out for a while.

- Exposed the rest of the show as fake, since this was clearly a real fight. They also forced the promotion to admit their product is fake.

- Exposed a heel(Kimura) as not being very heelish, since she was the only one brave enough to stop this

- Made everyone minus Act and Kimura look absolutely horrible. Yoshiko surely lost some fans, Rossy looked like an inept promoter and Wada looked like a WWF Attitude Era ref for ineptness.

- Got bad press and upset fans

Not seeing the dollar signs with this one. Okay fine, maybe Act/Yoshiko might pop a house down the line but the costs to do that don't work out.

Yeah, let's expose the business in front of thousands of people by having our champ shoot on our most popular wrestler.  Just by his rambling, incoherent posting style, I know I don't have to bother giving any credence to his opinion.  What a dickhead.

Someone speaking for/on behalf of/in support of Act posted a long blog post about the incident (I assume, it was posted on Act's twitter page), Google Translate as always is rough, any Japanese people/readers here able to give a bullet point of what it says?

http://ameblo.jp/tkhr-lovepunk/entry-11994326922.html

It looks like he's the director of the Act documentary.  Just a couple of things that stood out.  (My Japanese is horrible, btw)  He says that Act sometimes has trouble communicating with others.  He also noticed no heat between her and Yoshiko during filming. (nevermind Yoshiko says she hates her in the trailer)  I'll see if I can get a real Japanese person on it.

Per Tokyo Sports, they had a press conference announcing that Yoshiko was banned indefinitely.  Also they announced that Ogawa, Fuka, and Nanae were taking a 30% pay cut for three months as the leaders of the promotion.  Also something at the bottom about punches to the face being banned going forward and a doctor being at ringside.  That sounds right.  "Indefinite ban" just means of course they aren't announcing how long, it gives them some wiggle room to see how Act heals up.  I imagine that would be a minimum of six months, all the way up to her never wrestling in Stardom again, depending on other factors.  But she is only 21, she'll be back wrestling again if she wants to continue that career path.

Interesting, not sure why they didn't already have a ring side doctor. I'm curious if they still use Wada as he shares some blame. Yoshiko not getting fired really makes me think angle gone horribly wrong. They are definitely trying to leave the door open. It doesn't matter though if they don't actually fix whatever was the root cause of all of this. Hopefully they try to.

Interesting, not sure why they didn't already have a ring side doctor. I'm curious if they still use Wada as he shares some blame. Yoshiko not getting fired really makes me think angle gone horribly wrong. They are definitely trying to leave the door open. It doesn't matter though if they don't actually fix whatever was the root cause of all of this. Hopefully they try to.

I think Act is the one that prevented Yoshiko being banned for life.  While everybody is blogging, here is Nanae's http://www.diamondblog.jp/official/nanaracka/2015/02/25/2%E6%9C%8825%E6%97%A5%E3%80%82/.    Again, I'm not positive, but it looks like Act said she wants to "wrestle" Yoshiko again one day.  It looks like it says Act suffered fractured cheekbones, orbital and nasal bones.  As well as damage to both retinas, but I don't think it's detached retinas.

Stardom did state that there was retina damage, but not detached retinas. Rossy and Yoshiko went to the hospital to apologize. More meetings to come about the operations of the company. Kairi Hojo will be sort of a union representative now.