DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

They are temperature checking fans at the show and providing masks for free. Liger will also be a guest again.

This is Hana's tournament to lose. She makes the most sense to win and go on to challenge at Ota with the exposure she has had due to Terrace House.

It is neat to see them streaming the first round live.

The entire show will go up on Stardom World by midnight in Japan. The extra bells and whistles in subbed interviews will be added later int he week.

Would they go back so quick to Hana after her winning the GP?  I don't think Mayu's losing the title anytime soon so having Hana lose again wouldn't make much sense.  The more alarming thing is Arisa not on the show (probably still recovering from whatever neck injury she has).

14 hours ago, nofuture said:

Would they go back so quick to Hana after her winning the GP?  I don't think Mayu's losing the title anytime soon so having Hana lose again wouldn't make much sense.  The more alarming thing is Arisa not on the show (probably still recovering from whatever neck injury she has).

Hana's GP win is the only thing that throws this off to me. They could go with someone else, but it would arguably be moronic seeing that the Ota show will be the second biggest Stardom show ever. I don't really see anyone else having much potential to draw with Mayu this early on into the Bushiroad years. Honestly, I kind of feel the Ota show is a bit much to be going for less than a year into the buyout.

13 hours ago, J.H. said:

I'm picking either Giulia or Tam to win this

James

Giulia is probably too new. Tam's focus has been on the white belt and Arisa. I don't see that as the starring match in Ota. That and the lack of Arisa is worrying. She had to miss the last show due to being sick, having a minor neck injury, or some combo of both. I don't see them pushing for Tam if Arisa isn't healthy enough for the match.

Edited by Eivion

On 3/21/2020 at 6:12 AM, Eivion said:

Hana's GP win is the only thing that throws this off to me. They could go with someone else, but it would arguably be moronic seeing that the Ota show will be the second biggest Stardom show ever. I don't really see anyone else having much potential to draw with Mayu this early on into the Bushiroad years. Honestly, I kind of feel the Ota show is a bit much to be going for less than a year into the buyout.

Giulia is probably too new. Tam's focus has been on the white belt and Arisa. I don't see that as the starring match in Ota. That and the lack of Arisa is worrying. She had to miss the last show due to being sick, having a minor neck injury, or some combo of both. I don't see them pushing for Tam if Arisa isn't healthy enough for the match.

Giulia makes sense as they have building her momentum since January. Tam makes sense as she can use winning Cinderella to parlay that win in to a challenge against Arisa instead of going for the red belt. I don't see them putting Hana over so strong again after her winning the 5*GP less than a year ago.

James

13 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Giulia makes sense as they have building her momentum since January.

Her momentum has been focused on her specific feud with Hana. She doesn't have any great singles accolades. It would be weird to test out out how well their build of her is doing so soon and with the second biggest show Stardom has ever run.

15 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Tam makes sense as she can use winning Cinderella to parlay that win in to a challenge against Arisa instead of going for the red belt.

I find Tam questionable with Arisa's health being questionable right now. Its also not really needed as there has been an understanding between the two that Tam would be challenging her again. She could win it, but they haven't really built up the idea all that much. Part of that could just be the recent shows getting canceled though due to the current pandemic.

17 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I don't see them putting Hana over so strong again after her winning the 5*GP less than a year ago.

That is the one thing keeping me from saying a Hana win is a certainty. By putting her against Mayu in the first round they could just have Hana get a solid win there to build a title match with Mayu. I just have trouble seeing them not put the Red belt match in the lead which it wouldn't be if Tam won and chose to challenge Arisa for the white belt. 

I think Stardom sees Tam the same way they see Jungle, someone who's always over and sells merch, but aren't exactly going to push to the main event due to their age.

So Giulia/Arisa will be for the White Belt at Ota Ward, will it most likely be Mayu/Iroha for the Red Belt?

Saw the full tourney. Thought it was fun, quick pace (I've heard most regular shows are 2 hours which as someone who has sat through countless neverending shows in my life is perfect) the level of the work was real good (they were doing WWE TV Taping style matches and these didn't just blow away the WWE women they also blew away the overwhelming majority of the men's TV matches) and well worth the $8.50 or so for the subscription (which is for basically a week given how they bill but still worth it just for that show). I thought the battle royal elimination rule was a nice twist (and companies in North America might want to borrow the idea if they do a tournament, or even as a match stip) and they did some really creative things to take advantage of it. The problem was that they did it too often to where it was overkill (I think it was done something like 4 times in 5 matches.) The last time I was thinking "I hope they are doing this spot as a tease and they end up back in the ring" and when the one woman took the bump to the floor I sorta groaned. The one that was cool (and I give them credit because it was real clever and subtle) was where the one woman went over the top to the apron while (presumably) the heel went through the middle rope so when she took the bump to the floor everyone bit on the finish until the ref pointed it out. Only other negative is that it probably wasn't a good idea to do brawling into the crowd at this point in time.

That heel was Natsuko Tora. She leads Oedo Tai, a heel stable that is usually a bit more lovable roguish in nature, but is taking a more normal heel route with her replacing Kagetsu and leader and the additions of Bea Priestly and Saki Kashima.

The over rope rule is nice, but I do think they did it one time too many. At least one of those semi-finals didn't need it.

After catching the full show I actually think this was the best version of Cinderella in a long while. This year's final was nothing amazing, but it did a lot to push Giulia and Natsuko.

Single matches are usually pretty rare in Stardom except for title matches or preliminary matches, so the "over the top" rule lets them have a winner without them having to take a pin.  Seems like this year they relied on it pretty heavily.

21 minutes ago, lostinube said:

In the lead up to their (probably now cancelled) 4/15 show at Korakuen, GAEA has been putting up some matches on their youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzPGUCt8YfzdRTG3O8JtgQw/videos

If smaller companies just ran shows there why would they cancel (unless God forbid the situation in Tokyo has taken a turn for the worse in the past 24 hours)?

The number of cases in Tokyo has risen in the last few days and the governor is encouraging people to stay in on the the weekend. There was already a call to cancel any non-essential events. At the same time, the national government is inching closer to possibly declaring a state of emergency.

I'm not sure if it's up to each group or not but technically the GAEA show hasn't been cancelled yet.
Korakuen Hall's cancelled event list for March:

https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/hall/notice/341213.html

For April:
https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/hall/notice/post_2.html

Edited by lostinube
  • Sad 1

The virus was being downplayed by the government in hope that the Olympics could be saved. The government became more serious nearly immediately after the Games were postponed. 

Related to the quarantine required to enter Japan, I just mailed a bunch of tickets for Golden Week shows to a friend in Japan to use/distribute.

On 3/26/2020 at 2:47 PM, sabremike said:

If smaller companies just ran shows there why would they cancel (unless God forbid the situation in Tokyo has taken a turn for the worse in the past 24 hours)?

The Tokyo governor suggested staying inside last week for the next two weeks but the rumblings are that Tokyo will go into lockdown mode this week for 3 or 4 weeks. I already loaded up on water and noodles just in case.

Edited by Trocar Slush Weasel