DVDVR Message Board

Joshi Puroresu Discussion Thread

NikkySan

I'd rather have no commentary, but I definitely think that will change.

12 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Stardom has such a weird history.  So many incidents that would kill any other promotion, yet Stardom ends up stronger and better coming out of it.

Act/Yoshiko and this weekend's Giulia/IR incidents are the only big ones. Stuff like several gaijins leaving are before tours are up for reasons are on the minor side. Otherwise it been more about them weathering loss of talent due to injuries, retirements, and departures. This has arguably been their strongest year ever with the roster size, shows runs, consistent attendance, and the growth of all of those.

I do wonder what this means for the under 18 members of the roster.

Edited by Eivion

Yeah I was just thinking about those two. Riho is freelancer and her belt is one of the lesser belts, but Bea is a full member of the roster. I wonder how long her contract with AEW is supposed to last. Title wise I don't think it matters much in Bea's case. She is likely dropping the belt to Mayu in November.

Bea might have an "Ospreay Pass", and the NJPW/AEW beef only seems to really extend to the EVP's.  So Bea might be in the clear.

Riho might as well hand the belt over Saturday.

I think that it says that TV starts in January on BS Nitele (NOAH channel) and Tokyo MX (real TV in Tokyo). Not sure if they are referring to Bushi Road or Stardom. Long sentences are confusing to me. No mention of Asahi. 

"Bushiroad's advancement into women's professionals began to move around last fall. Director Takaaki Kitani (59), who was the founder of the company and served as the chairman of Nippon Professional, showed a strong interest, and in February this year, an official contacted Stardom's Rossy Ogawa (62). The meeting between Mr. Kitani and Mr. Ogawa was realized in April, and a concrete business transfer story was completed in August.

Stardom's business will be undertaken by Kick Road, a subsidiary of Bushiroad, which operates the kickboxing event “KNOCK OUT”. While taking over the current system, including Ogawa, the company is expected to gradually move to a new system. It was approved by the extraordinary board meeting of Bushiroad held in the morning on the 17th, and an official announcement meeting is scheduled in the afternoon.

A Bushiroad official reveals that Mr. Kitani has long felt the growth of female professional wrestling. In the world's largest professional wrestling organization WWE, the position of female players has improved, and since 2016 the name of “Diva” has been abolished and, like male wrestlers, is called “superstar”. The April women's wrestling festival “WrestleMania 35” was the first time that women ’s matches were played at the main event.

In response to these American mat trends, “I'm sure that Japan will eventually have such an era. I don't want to regret it.” It is natural that a white arrow was standing on the advancing stardom ”(same official).

On the other hand, in Stardom, expanding the organization has been a challenge in recent years. From 11 years ago, he became the leader of the domestic women's professional world and produced Kairi Sein (Treasure Castle Kaili = 31) and Shirai Io (29) who are active in WWE. New generations such as Mayu Iwatani (26) are leading the Wonder of Stardom champion Arisa Hoshi (24), “Big Daddy's Three Girls” Hayashishita Shiomi (21), and Kimura Hana (22). rise. However, the big match was not held at the end of the Tokyo / Ryogoku Kokugikan tournament in April 2013, which was held by Aikawa Yuzu.

“The sales themselves are higher than when Io and Kairi were there. However, Ogawa seemed to feel that there was a limit because it would pursue profits at a lower cost than continuing as an individual. "In the long run, it seems that this is a good way to spread the genre and leave Stardom in the future."

It is aiming to re-enter the Ryogoku in 21st year of the 10th anniversary of the flagship, and it has already been decided to hold the Tokyo-Ota Ward General Gymnasium competition on April 29, 2008. Regular programs are scheduled to start on BS NTV and “TOKYO MX” from January next year, and preparations under the Bushiroad system are steadily progressing.

Bushiroad, whose core business is trading card games, made Shin-Ni Pro a subsidiary in 2012. Earnings grew significantly due to aggressive spending on advertising expenses, strengthening content such as video distribution services, and expanding overseas markets. Sales in FY18 were about 5.4 billion yen, an increase of about 5 times from about 1.1 billion yen in the January 2011 period. The current annual sales of Stardom is expected to be about 200 million yen, but Mr. Kitani talks to a nearby official that he will make it 1 billion yen in 5 years, and is enthusiastic."

From Google Engrish. 

• Like 1

Is Rossy gone/leaving? Are those tv deals good?

Hitting Sumo Hall again in 2021 doesn't surprise me with money behind them. I had a feeling they go for a big show then anyways.

Edited by Eivion

Their TV deals seem better than anything else anyone has aside from NJPW and World Pro Wrestling, which is the only wrestling show on broadcast TV. Of course as the name implies, Tokyo MX is a Tokyo station so parts of the country won't be able to see whatever is on there. BS is accessible to anyone with a TV and a B-Cas card. But techinically you're supposed to be paying your NHK bill to get it.

Edited by lostinube
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Casey said:

Stardom and Knockout (Bushiroad's kickboxing company) are merging in a corporate restructuring, with the Knockout people running Stardom. Presumably meaning Rossy cashed out.

Meltz:

Hiroshi "Rossy" Ogawa will remain CEO of the women's wrestling promotion, which will main using the name Stardom, but World Wonder Ring Stardom will no longer exist as a company.

Damn it. He goes on to say World will remain and Stardom will not be shown on NJPW World. 

Edited by Oyaji

2 hours ago, Archibald said:

So sounds like nothing really changes asides of Stardom getting more money behind them? If you like both companies as they are then this sounds like a best case scenario.

Current Stardom with a bigger budget. That’s the ideal scenario, right there. I mean, now they don’t have to use whatever ring is available to them when they go from town to town. They’ll look like a legit top flight promotion, and probably have more eyeballs on the company, than just the creeps on the island.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

This seems to be a breakdown of the press conference by Stardom.

They will apparently be making an appearance at the Chara Expo in California in December, which coincidentally already has Katsuyori Shibata as an advertised guest.

Kidani says that he had been thinking about purchasing a women's group from about two years ago.

The new system.

Will be under Bushiroad fight co ltd. They aim to attract more girls and women instead of just old men. Expect advertising. Better environment for the wrestlers. More staff.

April 29, 2020 @ Tokyo / Ota Ward General Gymnasium show.

IMG_4095.jpg

• Thanks 1

The Ota Ward show should be next year's Cinderella tournament.

AZM was the only wrestler under 18 to appear. Her and Kid are both still in high school. Kind of wonder what that means for the other young wrestlers.

Jamie Hayter being there makes me wonder if she is signing.